• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Cocaine and Cancer

Livin7

Greenlighter
I have had cancer that I was able to naturally get under control and the tumor shrunk for years. I was also on pain killers and a little marijuana, the marijuana probably helping the cancer fight while the pain killers suppressed my immune system a bit and thereby not helping. At one point the cancerous tumor started growing again in the kidney until I was urinating blood clots and blood. Eventually i had the kidney removed and am now fine, thank the Lord. I believe I lost control of the cancer fight using natural methods when I started playing with cocaine. About 1 half gram a day for a few years.
Has anyone else noticed a return of their cancer or growth of cancer during times of cocaine use? Possibly feeling the cocaine use was the reason?

I've been looking at cocaine and cancer recently and it would appear that most research indicates a link between cocaine usage and an increase in non-Hodgkins Lymphoma incidence. Purportedly due to stimulation of the WBCs and an increase in their metabolic activity. Then again, there is a very old reference (1909) from a doctor in the BMJ who described the benefits of treating skin cancer with cocaine. So the effect may come down to the kind of cancer you have - remember that NHL is usually a B-cell lymphoma and B-cells express the serotonin receptor which is the receptor cocaine works on.

A person i know has cancer and he trades his pain pills for crack. Says the crack helps more than the pills.

A person i know has cancer and he trades his pain pills for crack. Says the crack helps more than the pills.

Dopamine increases can make you "forget" and "overlook" pain. Apparently N-methyl-amphetamine has, in actual case research studies, roughly the same analgesic potency as morphine per milligram.

As far as I knew it was not dopamine but norepinephrine, viz. the use of SNRIs/amphetamines in adjunct therapy with painkillers, the design of tramadol, etc.

Dopamine increases can make you "forget" and "overlook" pain. Apparently N-methyl-amphetamine has, in actual case research studies, roughly the same analgesic potency as morphine per milligram.
I've read that before and I can believe it.
I have taken d-meth with codeine several times for severe pain... HIGHLY effective combo.

Norepinephrine and serotonin (which are also increased by methamphetamine) also have analgesic properties.

Cocaine is considered as the caviar of street drugs. Cocaine overdose might cause seizures, heart failure, cerebral hemorrhage, stroke, respiratory failure and many other health consequences. It’s important to get control over it through correct diagnostics and medications. It put severe impact on the nervous system and raises dopamine level. Well it might be one of the reasons for the growth of cancer, but without testing you can’t prove it. Seek doctor’s opinion about the same; they will guide you in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cocaine will raise your blood sugar levels like all stimulants do. Most (all?) cancer cells have a metabolic defect; they can only use glucose as a fuel, not ketones. Avoiding stimulants with cancer seems like a prudent activity, as long as you aren't getting stoned and eating potato chips to replace it...

I am a medical aid for a cancer patient at this moment in time and as a coincidence he has also heavily abused cocaine and heroin upon learning of his diagnosis. I don't blame him, but I'll try to shed some light on how cancer maintains itself even in harsh environments. EDIT: His cancer is Stage III Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma originally started in the larynx, but has progressed to the intestines, brain, spine, and the lymphatic nodules in relation to the neck.

First off the cancer itself undergoes a vast rearrangement and alterations to its metabolic mechanisms during the initial oncogenesis phase and subsequently leading into the initial tumor growth. Bolinas is correct in that cancer prefers glucose as a fuel, but it does not harness the glucose for its own energy production and rather allocates the resource for other secondary anabolic reactions. This is referred to as the "Warburg Effect". I have an article that I could send you that could go into extensive detail about its various activities. A lot of people are still stuck on the misconception that the cancer doesn't have a properly functioning mitochondria to produce ATP, but that is an old theory proven incorrect and yet it still somehow survives. It heavily exploits the cells mitochondrial center which also explains why many have had success utilizing mitochondrial inhibitors to destroy these cells either in vitro or in vivo.
Its ability to exploit the mitochondria also explains why cancer cells can feed upon the lactate through an metabolic process referred to as the Cori Cycle.

Quick guide illustrating the mode of action from which cancer produces various energy resources... https://www.rpi.edu/dept/bcbp/molbiochem/MBWeb/mb1/part2/gluconeo.htm

The usage of lactase and the metabolic process that occur in conjunction with the tumor's stoma is also why cancer is referred to as being highly glutamine dependant. Glutamine within the tumor can be used for either oxidative metabolism or for a reductive metabolism such as lipid biosynthesis. Now the rapid lipid synthesis that is recognized in cancer is not completely understood, but it may be a mode of harvesting biological membranes that allow for further proliferation through the body. Hence the term "malignant". So if you were to examine a cancer's fuel source and remove certain variables that allow it to continue with its cellular proliferation it seems that it can and will adjust its metabolic procedures in correlation with what environmental factors are occuring. I'm in no way, shape, or form an oncologist. I just happen to be a medical aid for an individual who has cancer and thus gives me the desire to do research on my own.

Here is an informative article in regards to the "Warburg Effect" and its reversal counterpart. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3236330/ Sorry if it seems like a ramble. It probably was. The articles are a gold mine.

To answer the question I feel it would be hard to accurately say that cocaine can become an attributing factor to the increase in cancerous cell proliferation throughout the body. I'm sure creating a more stressful environment due to poor nutrition and sleep obviously doesn't help a cancer patient, but there is more compounding factors that are more pertinent in its survival than excessive dopamine/seratonin release.

Last edited:
Good info, it is important to take the total effect upon the body into account, metabolic activity included.