• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction Co-Morbidity's in relation to drugs

JoshLobbs

Bluelight Crew
Recently it has come to my attention one of the biggest risks with Cocaine is that It causes disruptions with your hearts rhythm. This is a massive Danger for ppl who have heart murmurs, such as myself.

Cocaine being fairly mainstream, this shocked me that it isn't as widely talked about. So I began to wonder, what side effects mess with other co-morbidity's?

Isn't it widely known that cocaine and especially cocaine+alcohol fucks with your heart?

It's pretty well known that cocaine can lead to some cardiac complications. Particularly mixed with alcohol, the liver processes cocaine in such a way that a thirddrug, cocaetyhlene is created in the body, in vitro. People who abuse cocaine and alcohol together often have cardiac myopathy and heart failure. Cocaine on its own is hard on the heart.

what side effects mess with other co-morbidities.. can you clarify that a little? Comorbidity means a condition with can occur alongside the primary condition. Using cocaine in and of itself isn't really something that qualifies as a medical condition, unless you're having a substance use disorder with cocaine.

Anyway, comorbidities on having a cocaine addiction aside from cardiac issues are mostly psychiatric issues ranging from schizophrenia to bipolar to ADHD and so on.

It's pretty well known that cocaine can lead to some cardiac complications. Particularly mixed with alcohol, the liver processes cocaine in such a way that a thirddrug, cocaetyhlene is created in the body, in vitro. People who abuse cocaine and alcohol together often have cardiac myopathy and heart failure. Cocaine on its own is hard on the heart.

what side effects mess with other co-morbidities.. can you clarify that a little? Comorbidity means a condition with can occur alongside the primary condition. Using cocaine in and of itself isn't really something that qualifies as a medical condition, unless you're having a substance use disorder with cocaine.

Anyway, comorbidities on having a cocaine addiction aside from cardiac issues are mostly psychiatric issues ranging from schizophrenia to bipolar to ADHD and so on.
I mean like what drug complications can exacerbate already existing conditions.
like for example if ketamine worsened arthritis or meth fucked with ALS?
my point was what combinations of drugs and diseases are fatal?

I have a preexisting heart valve defect from birth that makes it particularly dangerous for me to smoke or use stimulants or use IV. Moreso than someone without a valve defect. If you have a compromised immune system in any way e.g. autoimmune disease or HIV/AIDS, crystal meth is tough on the immune system as well. It's kind of a double whammy. There's a whole world of problems associated with having concurrent disorder, or addiction and mental health conditions combined. Fatal complication being increased risk of suicide. That's about all I can think of right now.

I have a preexisting heart valve defect from birth that makes it particularly dangerous for me to smoke or use stimulants or use IV. Moreso than someone without a valve defect. If you have a compromised immune system in any way e.g. autoimmune disease or HIV/AIDS, crystal meth is tough on the immune system as well. It's kind of a double whammy. There's a whole world of problems associated with having concurrent disorder, or addiction and mental health conditions combined. Fatal complication being increased risk of suicide. That's about all I can think of right now.
So hypothetically Meth would have some affect on ALS and Arthritis, both being Auto-immune diseases.
Though it sounds like you are Talking about Chronic use of meth, and/or the cumulative effect of it.

So hypothetically Meth would have some affect on ALS and Arthritis, both being Auto-immune diseases.
Though it sounds like you are Talking about Chronic use of meth, and/or the cumulative effect of it.
Pretty well. There is definitely a risk involved with using these drugs in the short term, like overdose. But the cumulative effects of drug abuse and addiction are most often what lead to having comorbidities.

The various risks of marijuana and psychedelic use in people with preexisting mental illness come to mind. Marijuana tends to cause people to deteriorate slowly and psychedelics have a more rapid onset of problems, typically psychosis or mania, with the possibility of depression afterwards. Empathogens are risky, too, although not as bad as psychedelics: the risks are mania and postacute depression as well. Long term any of these drugs is destabilizing in people with preexisting psychiatric conditions or people who are predispoed to them. The latter group, particularly when young, would do very well to stay away from all three categories of drugs as it's been shown taking them increases the probability of actually developing an illness they are at risk for. Actually all young people should avoid, but particularly people in risk categories (e.g. having a close family member with severe psychiatric illness.)

There's very good quality research speaking to this with marijuana in particular and this is better studied than psychedelics or empathogens but one can be safely assured that the risk is there too, and almost certainly worse than with marijuana, which is bad already. Synthetic cannabinoids are notably much worse than marijuana with quicker onset of worse symptoms, something I've observed clinically myself. I went as far as to recommend as a harm reduction measure that patients smoke regular marijuana if they must, only that they must avoid synthetic cannabinoids.

Regular stimulants obviously are a bad choice in people with psychosis issues or mania issues as well, they can cause these symptoms in absolutely normal people. If people do indulge, they must moderate their dose and, this is very important, be sure to sleep.

There are many kinds of cardiovascular conditions, they go from slightly benign to life-threatening, but generally speaking, they don't combine very well with stimulants. High doses and binge use are of course much more risky as well.
Cocaine should be treated very carefully if you have heart condition, in fact it should probably be avoided altogether (from an harm-reduction approach).

Cocaine + alcohol is significantly more cardiotoxic and hepatotoxic than consuming each of those separately, as it has been said. This should really be common knowledge but apparently isn't, since tons of people do it on a weekly basis.

Smoking tobacco while doing cocaine also appears to increase the risk of cardiovascular complications if you're a regular user. I don't think it should be a major concern for the average user, but it's something to be aware of.
If you look at the statistics of hospital admissions for chest pain following cocaine use you'll see that 70-90% of the patients are young smokers (and myocardial infarction accounts for ~6% of those cases).
The mechanism is fairly well known though, has to do with cocaine increasing the heart's oxygen demand while also decreasing oxygen supply, and tobacco smoke (not sure about nicotine itself) decreases oxygen supply even more so the synergistic effect can be quite strong.
I recall something about cocaine + cannabis having an adverse effect on the heart as well, but it was just something I read a while ago so I'm not really sure. (Edit: I'll try to add the sources later)

If anyone happens to be worried: an EKG + echocardiogram + exercise stress test will likely let you know if there's in fact something to be worried about, or if it's just anxiety/nothing serious (and maybe carry a holter monitor for a day if something seems wrong). An EKG alone is not enough to measure your "heart health".

TLDR : chain-smoking cigarettes while binging on cocaine and booze is probably pretty terrible. Only way to make it worse is by partying like that for a week straight, and then deciding to smoke a huge blunt right before participating in your local marathon (+ maybe throw in some coffee and a couple of ephedrine pills to fresh you up).

Last edited: