• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction Clonidine and Meth

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
I have nowhere been able to find that clonidine and meth are contraindicated. I am prescribed Clonidine to offset the effects of my prescribed Dexamfetamine if I cannot sleep so I know it can be used with at least one amphetamine at low doses. However, I was worrying about the effect of a sudden blood pressure drop if you are really peaking on large doses of meth.

I have started to take 50 mg seroquel and up to 300 mg clonidine to close out a meth binge but this often comes only an hour or two after a final dose when I just feel too bored or sketched out to keep going any longer. The combined effect can feel kind of like a sledgehammer and I have to lie down as as soon as I take them as there seems to be a risk of just collapsing if standing. I’m not sure if that effect is from the anti-histamine seroquel kicking in or from a sudden drop in blood pressure from the Clonidine. It is preceded by extreme dizziness.

I have never had ill effects the next day and usually it gives me lots of deep sleep but am I potentially missing some serious risk here?

I am prescribed Clonidine to offset the effects of my prescribed Dexamfetamine if I cannot sleep
Re: this, I wouldn't worry too much. If you've literally been told to take it to help sleep from amp effects.
I think the risks will definitely be dose (and BP) dependant. Although I am far from a doctor - and not clued up on meth or clon at all...
I personally would wait as long as you can since your last dose of meth, then take the lowest dose of clon alongside your normal sleep dose of seroquel.
Then maybe top up 50mg increments of clon every half hour or so if the desired effect isn't happening.
Don't suppose you have a blood pressure monitor knocking about?

Don't suppose you have a blood pressure monitor knocking about?
Nope. But it is always spot on perfect when I go to the doctor’s and a cardiologist tested everything 2 years ago and said I had no heart or circulation issues. But meth could change all that pretty quickly I guess.

Umm yeah I'd say its likely bud 😆

Is there literally no data/reports of the combo online at all?
None that I could find last time I looked. I should look again. I can search many more journals through my university library account.

This is all I can find on the 2 after a quick search. Not sure if any of it means anything usefull to you 🤷‍♂️

The alpha-2 NE agonist, clonidine, partially generalized to methamphetamine at doses of 0.1–0.18 mg/kg and increased drug-appropriate responding at lower doses of methamphetamine, but it partially blocked the discriminative-stimulus effects of higher 0.56–1.0 mg/kg doses of methamphetamine over the same dose range.
--------------------
Clonidine may interact with other medications
  • Drugs that increase drowsiness. Don't combine these drugs with clonidine. ...
  • Tricyclic antidepressants (TCA) Combining these drugs with clonidine can increase your blood pressure. ...
  • Heart drugs. ...
  • Antipsychotic drugs. ...
  • Blood pressure drugs
-----------------
Clonidine is also used to reduce symptoms of Cocaine, Benzodiazepine , and Meth withdrawal
---------------
there were 439,000 past-month methamphetamine users in 2011 ... and clonidine may improve hypertension and vasospasm but not.
(this link wouldn't load so I can't see what the whole sentence says)
------------------

Looks to me like its more dangerous in combination with seroquel than meth! Stay safe @Atelier3

QUEtiapine and cloNIDine may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate.
---------
If you take these drugs with clonidine, you may get dizzy or have trouble balancing when you sit after lying down, or stand after sitting. This is called orthostatic hypotension. Examples of these drugs include:
  • clozapine (Clozaril)
  • aripiprazole (Abilify)
  • quetiapine (Seroquel)
--------------
Both quetiapine and clonidine can increase the risk of hypotension.
Both quetiapine and clonidine can have CNS depressant effects, which might affect the ability to perform skilled tasks

@Atelier3

QUEtiapine and cloNIDine may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate.
---------
If you take these drugs with clonidine, you may get dizzy or have trouble balancing when you sit after lying down, or stand after sitting. This is called orthostatic hypotension. Examples of these drugs include:
  • clozapine (Clozaril)
  • aripiprazole (Abilify)
  • quetiapine (Seroquel)
--------------
Both quetiapine and clonidine can increase the risk of hypotension.
Both quetiapine and clonidine can have CNS depressant effects, which might affect the ability to perform skilled tasks

@Atelier3
Ah. Thanks. So its that combination that is risky even without meth. I guess I’ll have to switch to something safer to end my binges. Maybe heroin?

Yeah it’s the seroquel that’s the issue. I wouldn’t mix the two close together.

Ah. Thanks. So its that combination that is risky even without meth. I guess I’ll have to switch to something safer to end my binges. Maybe heroin?
Theres a whole list of safer alternatives I'd turn to for coming before heroin bro lol. You're very likely to end up with fent and die 💀 plus its a savage addiction itself if you get used to using it.

Valerian root
Melatonin
Magnesium
CBD
Promethazine
Diphenhydramine
Zopiclone
Zolpidem
Hypnotic benzos
Loads of safer (pharma) opiates
Even ketamine to KO yourself - jus be prepared to trip if you dont dose high enough to reach anesthesia! 😂

(Some of those of course are as addictive or more addictive than heroin, benzos specifically)

Or just yeah, try using the clonidine without the seroquel! 🤷‍♂️