• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Clonazolam Withdrawal and General Benzo Withdrawal Question

MrPitt

Bluelighter
Hello folks. I'm sort of in a bad situation. I have accidentally become physically addicted to the research benzodiazipine Clonazolam (yes -olam not -apam). I had used it some what regularly for about two to three months, until I read up on benzodiazepines, saw the warnings for tolerance and withdrawal, and realized how high my tolerance was getting (2mg was getting me to where .5 mg used to). I am currently tapering down my doses. I was at 2 mg and now I'm at .083 mg (1/6 of a .5 mg blotter).

My withdrawal symptoms include occasional nausea, slight difficulty concentrating, and light seizures. The seizures last for less than second and as far as I can tell, consist of just one large, collective flexing of all my muscles, while my brain seems to go into a day dream like state. This only seems to happen when I am concentrating on something, or trying to fall asleep. I have never dealt with seizures before, but from what I can tell, what I'm experiencing isn't as serious as what others have. For example, it can happen while I'm standing and I'll still be standing when it's over. It's very quick.

I'm currently at the 20 hour mark since my last .083 mg dose and I feel like I'm on the threshold of withdrawal symptoms. I have dosed .083 mg three times over the last three days (on a 18-24 hour cycle). I only have one .5 mg blotter left, and at my current dose, this leaves me with 6 doses before I am out. My next RC shipment won't be here for about a week or so, so it's safe to assume that I will run out before I have access to any more benzos. This brings me to my question:

At what point is benzodiazepine withdrawal life threatening? I.e., is there a point at which I should consider contacting a medical professional and explain my situation? This has nothing to do with getting more benzos. This has everything to do with my personal well-being.

I haven't experienced withdrawal symptoms that are any stronger than what I have described above. I kind of want to try just not taking anymore ( I know this is ill-advised for benzo addiction, but I personally consider myself to be nearing the end of my taper, although for those who think I am wrong, please voice your opinion ), since my symptoms aren't exactly uncomfortable, but more or less annoying. I've tapered down my dose to 1/24 of what I was taking. As well, I have taken 2 mg doses all of maybe 4 times during the course of the two to three months, so technically 2 mg was my highest dose, but it was rarely repeated. I know since most of you aren't doctors and since none of you know me personally, I cannot get a definite answer to my question. But to those of you who have experienced benzo withdrawal before or have knowledge on the subject, what are the warning signs that benzo withdrawal symptoms are becoming dangerous for one's health? Any input or personal experiences would be great. Thanks guys.

Also, I don't need any lecturing or horror stories about addiction. I know what addiction is like, I have seen what it does to me and what it does to others who have become addicted to something. I have clearly made a mistake in not really researching benzos or paying attention to how often I was taking Clonazolam. I understand that fully. I am not planning on taking any more benzos recreationally, and any benzos I obtain in the future will go towards simply finishing my taper.

If you've got more on the way, there is no point in going through withdrawals. Yes, you should speak to a doctor, tell them the truth about what is happening. Those tremors you describe could get worse. At least make sure there is someone else around just in case something happens.

I don't want to use benzos at all. If it's possible I'd like to stop taking them altogether. The ones I have coming I ordered like three weeks ago as back up.

Keeping someone around is a good idea. I hadn't really considered that.

I think you're best off going to see a doctor and explaining your situation, given that you're working to taper off completely i'm certain you'll have no problem working out a plan to complete your taper. The only problem with blotters is the potential risks of uneven dosing/hot spots which might affect your ability to taper effectively.

As Kaden mentioned it might be a good idea to keep someone around with you personally just in case, but if you do end up going to a doctor (which I believe you should) they're going to come up with an effective and safe plan to finish this. Likely a low dose of something like valium.

Best of luck,

Mac

Is there such a thing as outpatient tapering? I can't risk being stuck in a hospital.

I would think so, a lot of doctors still prescribe Valium for relatively minor ailments after five minute consultations and then send people on their way so I don't think you should have a problem getting something to keep you from going into potentially serious withdrawal. Depends which doctor you see and where you are but, medical advice is something best left to doctors, not people on the internet. Please, go and talk to a doctor - be completely honest, tell them you're worried about withdrawal symptoms and serious about tapering. I don't think that a hospital would want to keep someone in for any real length of time just for weening off benzos.

^^Yes, normally people are given a long acting Benzo to taper off at home when it is not a serious high-dose multiple year addiction.
I think you would profit from a switch to Diazepam or Clonazepam because of their half-lifes. Its much better to taper with a long-acting Benzo than with something hard hitting and short acting like Clonazolam.

Good luck, you are on the right way!

If you have 'light' seizures it's time to go to the ER, benzo withdrawal is no joke.
I think they could give you some diazepam or oxazepam to taper at home, but I'm not sure.
And google the Ashton manual, this'll help you tapering

Hey Mr Pitt,

I went to my doc (in the UK) when I ran out (was on upto 8mg alprazolam plus upto 60mg diazepam), he took mercy on me and gave a weeks worth of Valium. I did then have to go to and see a psychiatrist and attend some CBT sessions, but after that was given a 50 week taper plan (Which I could do at home)

The seizures are worrying, I ended up in hospital twice because of them. If you don't go to the doc (which I think you should) then definitely having someone else around is a very good idea.

Good luck

I think if you were having sezuires even light you would be much more immobilized and sick. Now people actually do have quote on quote light sezuires. These consist of a number of symptoms and for some they just stare off into the distance and become really out of it. If you try and get their attention they will not respond. I was under the impression that light sezuires from benzo WD does not really happen. Instead light sezuires accompany a seizure disorder and full on sezuires occur from the DT's which can have permanent negative effects in the long term. Now i'm not a doctor obviously so you need to be getting checked out by one. If you are actually having sezuires even if they feel mild you need medical attention.

Benzo WD can make your body tense up and have all types of symptoms. When sezuires do occur even if extremely mild medical attention is required along with a much slower taper. Otherwise you are putting yourself at an extreme risk of serious harm. Can someone really experienced with benzo WD speak to the likelihood of mild or "light" sezuires in which you stay somewhat coherent but you tense up while not fully phishing out? Does that tend to happen? Or is this just the tremors and shakes that accompanies benzo WD? Really we have no way of actually knowing what this is.

Last edited:
When I had my seizures I never remembered that they happened.

It was of course obvious when it happened in front of other people (few mins of me unconscious and shaking), but honestly if it happened when I was on my own I'm not sure I would have noticed...!

So be very careful..

^ This is true too, when enduring a sezuire, your perception of time is skewed. So you may think it only lasted 1 second when in actuality, it lasted 20 seconds. I agree with the above posters, seek medical help.

- hs

I did not know that about the seizures. As someone who has never experienced benzo withdrawal due to continued use since starting daily several years back, I haven't been off benzos for long enough to allow withdrawals to precipitate, at least I thought. I have had jolts as I was falling asleep, powerful enough to disturbingly wake me right up. 'Zoning out' occasionally, I just assumed came with the territory. I'm kind of starting to accept that it's only a matter of time for me.

OP- Hope you are okay and taking some steps to move away from these drugs. Please report back and let us know how it's going.

I have 5 .083 mg doses left. I found a vendor in the US for Clonazolam got it with next day shipping. The plan is that if the Clonazolam is bunk I will go to hospital. I have Diclazepam on the way as well but it's still a week or so away. I plan on using that for the rest of my taper. I've read some positive reviews about it in here and some other places.

This jolt before you sleep is exactly what I'm feeling when I tried to describe what I thought were seizures. I'm at the point where it doesn't happen unless I try to sleep. In general, how long does it take for withdrawal symptoms to stop getting worse? I know it takes a while for it to get better but it's been 24 hours since my last dose and I feel like I'm doing fine, minor tremors here and there and still some irritability. I plan on sleeping soon so I'm not sure if I want to take another dose or not.

The withdrawal times seem to differ a great deal and depend on the half-life of the benzo, the dose and the person taking it. Even benzos with short half-lives like Xanax seem to accumulate in the body after several doses and can have effects for longer than any of the formal information on it says. I've been almost 24 hours without a dose at the moment and feel fine, but I am currently taking flutoprazepam (2-3mg a day) which I believe has a very long half-life.. I will take one soon though.

Basically, withdrawals symptoms are different for everyone and apparently, it can take a while to become noticeable. This thread has inspired me to taper my dose down a great deal and eventually switch to a benzo with a shorter half-life.

OP, diclazepam would probably be a good choice, but still, going to a doctor will give you some kind of management plan and have someone helping you to stay on track. It may be difficult with all those RC benzos around you don't want to be back here in a few months having to start over from scratch. Keep us updated in the meantime, good luck.

yea ive been doing some reading about ppl with really high tolerances taking c-lam to get fucked up, I mean I figured its a super strong benzo, but if youre having what you called seizures id call your dr or just go to the ER. benzo wd is something they take really serious at the hospital, its life threatening so they pull out all the stops, a bunch of staff, heart rate monitor, pule, 02, basically every vital they can get a measurement of. they are usually the most worried about your heart, thus the ekg. most often they will take blood to check your potassium and magnesium because those are also important in the health of your heart. as well as a bunch of other shit I don't even know about...

but get yo to a dr, its just going to get worse, you will have to taper and its hard but if you really want off there is no magic button. you haveto work for it and deal with the pain and anguish. trust me. it sucks.

I have no problems with dealing with the unpleasantness of the withdrawal. That doesn't scare me. The problem I'm having is inbetween my family, job, and college, I can't risk being stuck in a hospital for a benzo addiction. It would literally ruin my life. I'd probably loose my job. My family has no clue I do anything besides smoke pot. They'd turn their backs on me. Being stuck in a hospital is just simply not an option. I have talked to several addiction hotlines to try and find out what my options are and no one seems to be taking me seriously.

addiction is a funny hypocritical word(come on we aren't pilgrims, pleasure is pleasure), best of luck on your tapper because you seem to know how. its rough mentally, the only physical wd effects have been from my stomach making noises (diarrhea).if the taper is too difficult look for your doctors help, a longterm replacement could be any anticonvulsant i assume you will look up a good one.