• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Clonazepam withdrawal bad

MasterVampire

Bluelighter
So I started taking clonazepam 8 months ago.

I did 4mg a day for a month.
Then I wanted off but I think I dragged my taper out too long.

Over the past few months I went from 4mg a day to 2, then 1 then 0.5 then a crumb for the last 2 months.

I had no problems during the taper.

I went off it completely and for 5 days was totally fine but now it’s hit me like a truck.

I feel hot and cold, can’t sleep, nausea, no appetite, shaky, restless, out of my mind.
I’ve never had anxiety before in my life but I think I have it now.

I don’t get how I went 5 days totally fine though. Surely I tapered right?
How long should this last for me?

8 months is is not an extremely long time on K. I'm going on 7 years and just starting my taper. What did your taper schedule look like? From my research and from what other folks are saying it's best to cut .25 each week to two weeks until you are off it. Perhaps your taper was a bit too rapid, but if you didn't have any problems tapering down then I'm suspecting you're finally hitting the withdrawal stage as the drug has left your body.

Everyone is different and it sounds like you're having a rough time right now. You've got to remember you were on a potent drug that affected your neuro chemistry and now that it's gone your brain needs to heal and re-wire itself. It's going to suck, but not forever. You're 5 days benzo free and the half-life is over so your brain being used to having some level of the drug is not used to it. What you are experiencing is benzo withdrawal. Try to eliminate caffeine, nicotine, stimulants from your lifestyle, hydrate, eat well, exercise, and maybe find someone to talk to who's been through it.

As for how long this "hell" is going to last? It's really dependent on the person. It could be a week or two or it could be months. There's really no absolute when it comes to benzo withdrawal. But pat yourself on the back, you're off of one of the worst drugs ever!

Nobody said withdrawal would be easy. I would just jump myself. It will suck for a bit, but then you’ll be over it.

You can do it.

OP, were you prescribed the klompers or did you street buy them for recreation? If RXd, for what purpose (Klonopin, like all benzos, is normally RXd for anxiety/panic disorders but I've seen Klonopin RXd for seizures). If RXd, why did you want to come off them? Four mg per day is not a heavy dose. I think your taper was too rapid. Klonopin/clonazepam has a long duration of action and onset, it can take about 2 hours to start reaching theraputic levels in your blood stream for a lot of people. I think this is why you felt okay for a few days and then it smacked you with a vengance. I have been prescribed 8mg of Xanax daily for many years (I have a nasty ass panic disorder and 8mg of Xanax just gets me to normal mentally) and will require this for the rest of my life, along with opioid pain killers for pretty severe chronic pain (20 + years and counting, also a lifelong thing for me). I have never had the really hellish benzo WDs I've heard others speak of and say is worse than heroin WDs (which I think has to be an exaggeration, or the people saying it have never spent many years shooting good heroin several times every day). The worst benzo WDs have ever been for me was heavy anxiety that built to hellish panic attacks, plus some BZD seizures. Maybe that's because I've always had something onboard (normally opioids and liquor) on the occasions I ran out of Xanax early.

Something that may help you during the PAWS phaze is some alcohol (which also is a GABA-ergic drug like benzos). I would drink enough to get a bit of a buzz while remaining generally functional. For work hours, I would pack a flask of vodka and take a nip or three whenever I felt shaky. I recommend vodka because it's harder for people to smell than whisky, etc...... and flasks because they are small and flat, thus easily concealed. They don't hold enough alcohol to get you thru a long day, so you may want to keep a bottle of vodka and small funnel in your car and top up your flask on breaks or something. Don't get drunk at work or make it where co workers notice, but sneaking into a bathroom stall, getting comfortable, then eating a few Listarine breath strips (those little films are great, I used to keep a pack on my key chain because the containers have a hole for it) will be less noticeable than a shaky person full of anxiety in WDs. Just some advice from someone with experience in such matters. If you have anxiety/panic attacks, I would stay on a medication that's effective and helps me feel better. I wouldn't dream of asking my doctors to take me off or reduce my Roxicodone and Xanax. I'm in the process of trying to get my new pain Dr to raise my Roxicodone dose back to where it was (90mg per day instead of the 60mg per day I'm prescribed now). Without them, my life would be a living hell full of constant high levels of pain and anxiety with frequent panic attacks. At least with my roxys and xannys, I have some quality of life where the pain is at least dulled, I'm not constantly having a freak out, and can get around better, even tho I'm only in my mid 40s and my ass walks with the assistance of a cane. I'm too young for a cane and feeling like a broken, old man. But anyway, sorry for the tangent, I just wanted to offer some advice on what I'd do, from someone that's been there and done that. Good luck buddy.

Last edited:
OP your probably halfway or just a little more than halfway for the acute part although less severe symptoms might persist for a few weeks. If you find yourself waking up on the ground or feel like you have "lost time" while seated or lying down I'd get to an Emergency room or A&E with haste as you might have had a seizure and need to continue tapering with Diazepam or back to Klonopin. Take Care of yourself MV..

OP your probably halfway or just a little more than halfway for the acute part although less severe symptoms might persist for a few weeks. If you find yourself waking up on the ground or feel like you have "lost time" while seated or lying down I'd get to an Emergency room or A&E with haste as you might have had a seizure and need to continue tapering with Diazepam or back to Klonopin. Take Care of yourself MV..

From what I read the acute stage hits around week two though .
It’s only been 7 days now with 5 days fine.

... 4mg Chronic Clonazepam is roughly equivalent to ~120mg diazepam, or 8-12mg Lorazepam... Not a small dose...

Clonazepam has unique effects on serotonin, and an extremely high binding affinity, and it lasts longer than any commonly prescribed benzodiazepine...

It needs to be tapered slowly, once stabilized at 1.5-2mg, you can switch to something more neutral like Lorazepam or Tranxene(Nordazepam, for all practical purposes)

Valium is an option, though it wears off so fast, it would be an adjustment

Good luck

... 4mg Chronic Clonazepam is roughly equivalent to ~120mg diazepam, or 8-12mg Lorazepam... Not a small dose...

Clonazepam has unique effects on serotonin, and an extremely high binding affinity, and it lasts longer than any commonly prescribed benzodiazepine...

It needs to be tapered slowly, once stabilized at 1.5-2mg, you can switch to something more neutral like Lorazepam or Tranxene(Nordazepam, for all practical purposes)

Valium is an option, though it wears off so fast, it would be an adjustment

Good luck

I'm at 2.75mg of Clonazepam and tapering is not fun at all. Definitely a high equivalent compared to the other benzos. I'm going to meet with my doc on the 9th to try to get a medical cross taper of some sort going. I've been 5-6 days out on my own with a .5mg cut and that was too much for me so I had to scale back to a .25mg cut. This stuff is evil personified.

From what I read the acute stage hits around week two though .
It’s only been 7 days now with 5 days fine.

I was going on the assumption that you've been on "crumbs" for the last 2 months as you've stated. I think that .5-.25mg should end up with an easier ride then the previous amounts that would have ended up in a much more severe discontinuation. It's difficult to determine exactly how rough it's going to be for an individual, but in my personal experience the rebound back to milder, more drawn out symptoms comes quicker with smaller amounts like .25mg. I could have misjudged as you didn't state the total amount of time it's been, just that it's been difficult since day 5.

If it's only been 2 days with the heavier W/D effects then you might have to ride out the acute stage for awhile longer, but it's still highly plausible that you will make it through this just fine. As others have stated if it's too much you'll need to seek medical assistance with Diazepam or more Clonazepam or acquire your own, I prefer the former approach. Good Luck with whichever route you choose.

Well I couldn’t take I and took 1mg or Valium last night and feel better today....
Body doesn’t feel as bad this morning but I kinda feel like the Valium put a bandaid on my brain.

It would be nice to think it’s me getting past the worse clonazepam withdrawal now (3 days? Unlikely?) but I’m guessing it’s most likely the Valium.

I think I misjudged the size of my clonazepam crumbs of a 2mg pill and that’s why I was withdrawing bad.

So my question is how long should I be on 1mg of Valium and then 0.5 Valium for?

4 days each or something?

I’m guessing that if I don’t take anymore Valium and have this as a once off helper I’ll just be back where I was yesterday feeling really bad body wise and maybe even worse ?

Everyone suffers when they quit a drug habit. Usually there's physical pain involved, always there's psychological pain; there's no way around it.

You're at a point where your risk of serious complications is extremely low. The best thing if you want off these meds is to grit your teeth and get through it.

Don't put it past your mind to invent certain symptoms to justify a re-dose. I don't mean "making things up", I mean the sinister trickery our subconscious uses to keep our habits going. Getting sweaty and shaky when you quit any drug is normal, and not a sign to re-use.

1 mg of Diazepam is fairly minuscule and if that's all it took to stop your W/D then you're not far from the finish line. If you think you can handle starting over again then go for it, if not then 4days + 4 days is not a terrible idea. You could also try skipping days if that seems like something you might want to try. Diazepam has long lasting metabolites that will help on your next attempt at quitting so weigh out the choices and go from there. Either way at least you're down to the 1mg mark.

Your mind will make up, exaggerate, or focus all your energy on a symptom until you are fully convinced that you simply cannot make it for some dumb reason. For me I think it was my legs would start shaking weird and I could handle it all but NOT the legs shaking. As if it were any worse than any other symptom.

I’d just tough it out a couple weeks and you’ll be feeling a lot better.

What worked for me to get off benzos was actually tapering at a moderate speed from 120 mg to 10 mg of diazepam. Stayed on that 10 mg for half a year. And then jumped off with maybe a week of kind of tapering. Was it bad? Yes. But I also was kicking Dope and stuck in a rehab. I very rarely have touched benzos since. So it worked for me.