• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Clonazepam for epilepsy, but don't want to put benzos in my body everyday

john420-420

Greenlighter
Hi guys, So I have epilepsy and am on Lamotrigine 100mg twice a day. The neurologist has also now put me on clonazepam 0.25mg 3 x a day, but to be honest I don't feel comfortable putting benzos in my body everyday, even at small doses of clonazepam like that. I've been taking them for only 8 days now so I know I won't get any withdrawals or find it hard to stop in anyway if I did so now.

I have quite a lot of clonazepam left and thinking about just doing like 2mg now and again as a recreation thing. What do you guys think? Carry on taking it as prescribed or just do larger amounts recreationally so my body doesn't get physically addicted to it?

If you're on benzos for epilepsy, you should ideally be on them at a level that doesn't impair or effect your judgement very much. 0.25mg of clonazepam is a very small amount, and it does actually provide seizure control for a long time -- if you don't escalate it to abuse.

If you expect to have it work properly as an anticonvulsant at lower doses, best to not take it (or any other benzos) recreationally. Like, at all.

If it's prescribed for you and you take them as directed you should have no problem with w/d. Clonazepam is much preferable to phenobarbital.... but both are hard core sedatives that retain a use in epilepsy control because, well, they work.

Given your prone to seiziures I wouldnt use benzos recreationally your asking for trouble ie rebound seizures

I was expecting these kind of replies tbh, I'll take it as prescribed. It also helps with my bit of anxiety too (which I blame years of epilepsy meds for). I know I can't go messing with doses and need to be consistent with it or else things can go wrong.

I know people who aren't epileptic but addicted to benzos and if they don't have any then they have seizures, so I know how bad it would be for me if I were in that situation. I think my neurologist will put me on repeat prescription for it, I have less auras and not had any generalized seizures since. I really like the anti-anxiety effects it gives too, college is better and it doesn't seem to be slowing me down. I'm still the whizz kid at Maths and English :)

If you expect to have it work properly as an anticonvulsant at lower doses, best to not take it (or any other benzos) recreationally. Like, at all.
I admit to using xanax sometimes, which obviously would raise tolerance and then the clonazepam won't be able to be as effective once the xanax has worn off?

I'm still the whizz kid at Maths and English :)

that's cool man, keep it that way.
screwing around with benzos is a bad idea at the best of times, but as everyone else has said, to do that with epilepsy - that's dangerous.
you're a smart guy, why risk it man? plus, there's much more enjoyable stuff out there anyways ;p

Yes man, I'll stick to the good old ganja only for pleasure (and additional medicine). I'll take the clonazepam exactly as prescribed and if/when the time comes to stop it, I can do it safely with a tapering plan from the doc.

If it's prescribed for you and you take them as directed you should have no problem with w/d

So so so not true. Taking benzos every day at almost any dose will lead to dependency and withdrawal. Whether its prescribed or not makes no difference to your GABA receptors. Wow.

If someone is having regular seizures though might it be worth being dependent on a chemical. What are they supposed to do just keep havong seizures? I mean its not like its for anxiety where they could do talk therapy or something

Yes man, I'll stick to the good old ganja only for pleasure (and additional medicine). I'll take the clonazepam exactly as prescribed and if/when the time comes to stop it, I can do it safely with a tapering plan from the doc.

Good decision!

I agree with most everyone else on this thread.. don't get into the habit of taking this med, I am now dependent on klonopin and currently have been for around almost 5 years, as long as I have been prescribed it, and other benzos too at times, but now I am back on klonopin, the original one I was given 5 years ago.. whenever I run out, for even just a day, god for bid 2-3 days, I am a WRECK! I mean, that is just the psychological part of the withdrawl getting started with me too... I have made that a goal for me.. not to ever let myself run out again too early, knowing I am pretty much "stuck" on benzodiazepines, as I have some of the WORST possible social/general anxiety a person could have, and this medication is not for getting high, it truly benefits me with my real life issues.. before taking it, I basically sucked at life! Couldn't have a conversation with anyone whom I didn't know, without them thinking I was weird, but really I was just very shy and nervous... it sucked living that way. and I have accepted that I will either have to live like that, or be on my kpin for life, if not then valium or something else.. It doesn't bother me anymore.. But that is not me saying I think everyone should follow my lead and take benzos as the easy way out, if you don't have mind shattering anxiety, just try and find another way, and even if you dont, try something less addictive first, like I did, and nothing else worked, so I had to resort to taking benzos regularly, wish it didn't have to be that way but its a bit too late right now for me, as I am on fairly high daily doses of kpin! So.. OP: Just saying in a nutshell, unless you absolutely feel you NEED to be on klonopin, which some people like myself kind of do(I tried every other way to get rid of anxiety before and nothing else worked!) you should try and see if something else will do other than a benzo medication to help with your epilepsy.. making klonopin, and benzos in general a last resort, and if you must take them, make sure it is sparingly and very occasional, so addiction/dependence and tolerance don't take over.

Last edited:
I saw my neurologist today, well not my original one, but I barely ever do it's a different one all the time lol. I'm now on .5mg a day instead of .75mg a day, I can either take it once a day at night (I reckon a few hours before bed if at night), or .25mg twice a day. She said it's not necessary to take 3 times a day like I have been and asking me if it makes me tired and stuff, but it doesn't tbf. I think I will just go with taking the full .5mg at night.

If I want to avoid feeling tired during the day is it best to take it once a day at night time?

If I had epilepsy, I sure as shit wouldn't worry about taking a benzo everyday- just keep up with taking it everyday, should come as habit.

If I want to avoid feeling tired during the day is it best to take it once a day at night time?
No, take a 200mg caffeine pill- they cost ~0.06 cents a piece. Or drink a coffee... Take it everyday as prescribed. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, ONLY DISCUSS ALTERING MEDS WITH YOUR PHYSICIAN NOT BLUELIGHT!!!!!

I agree with mike if i epilepsy I wouldnt worry about having to take low doses of benzos everyday to keep my seizures under control. Also taking them properly everyday if the bottle says so insures you dont have excess pills therefore, limiting your ability to abuse them. If you think your benzo dose is unsafe daily just see a second doctor and say "I take x for y at z mg I read that x can be dangerous or habit forming or stop working my doctor says its fine if I follow the of directions and I just wanted a second opinion tp be sure "

Take it as prescribed. Your doctor gave it to you for a reason. You have epilepsy, fucking around with benzos is a good way to drop dead. Not to be harsh but it absolutely is. Anyone who's responding about being addicted to benzos in this thread does not have epilepsy. Epilepsy is a serious condition and you should treat it as such.