• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Clonazepam and distribution to systemic circulation versus peripheral circulation

Kdem

Bluelighter
It seems that typically clonazepam is distributed mostly into peripheral circulation with poor uptake by the brain.
My question is: assuming one has pills or drops, is there a way to improve distribution into the systemic cirtculation/the brain ?

Some references:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2846487/
'The nasal route opens up an avenue of possibilities for a drug to reach the brain. Clonazepam is highly metabolized with a poor uptake by the blood brain barrier via the peripheral circulation[1]. Hence, the objective of this investigation was to prepare brain-targeted gelatin-chitosan mucoadhesive microspheres to obtain rapid onset of action'

http://www.priory.com/pharmacy/clonazepam.htm
'Clonazepam is a drug of choice for various Central Nervous System (CNS) disorders. Out of that, it is commonly used for the treatment of status epileptics. The drug however does not reach the CNS in an efficient manner. The nasal route could be a possible solution to the problem, as many evidences have been reported for nose to brain targeting'

'Clonazepam (CZ) is a benzodiazepine derivative and is widely used in disorders like status epileptics, myoclonus and associated abnormal movements, panic attacks, psychiatric disorders. Presently, CZ is marketed as tablets and injectables. Though CZ is well absorbed following oral administration, it is extensively metabolized in the liver. The principle metabolite being 7- aminoclonazepam; which probably has little or no antiepileptic activity (Parfitt K, 1999). In addition to this, the tablets and injectables release the drug in peripheral circulation, with subsequent limited uptake by the Blood Brain Barrier (BBB). Moreover, these routes may become inconvenient or impractical depending upon the patient condition.'

I don't really understand this, but I'm interested. I take clonazepam, 1mg/3 times a day. I know you cant snort it(at least that's what's floating around Bluelight. I am interested it getting the most out of it strictly for medicinal effects.

I find clonazepam to be hit or miss with me, and I definitely feel that it has limited mental effects, and is much more physical than mental , at least in my experience with it. It is usually not very effective as an anxiolytic for me, as it is too unreliable to trust that it will help, and sometimes I find it does nothing at all, very odd.

Last edited: