TheBlackPirate

Bluelighter
Casey William Hardison said:
Clemency for Deadheads and Others In Prison for Non-Violent Drug Offenses
Written by Casey William Hardison
MAPS Bulletin Winter 2015 Vol. 25, No. 3

casey-hardison.jpg

Casey William Hardison

I was arrested in the United Kingdom in 2004 for the production of LSD, 2C-B, and DMT. At trial I argued that I was responsible but I could not be made guilty by statute for actions that were intrinsically innocent, when viewed from the lenses of Cognitive Liberty (the freedom to alter one’s own mental functioning as one sees fit) and Equal Rights (with respect to alcohol and tobacco producers, suppliers and users). Although my arguments failed to persuade the Judges, my time felt easier as I had stood by my principles.

In prison I became increasingly aware that there were many psychedelic alchemists in prison who, like myself, were serving disproportionately long sentences. Some were even serving multiple life sentences, despite having harmed no one. Thankfully, I had an idea when I was going to get out and I had long since committed to doing whatever I could to help educate the world about the principles of Cognitive Liberty and the injustices of the War on some people who use some Drugs. To this end, shortly after my release, I was interviewed by Brad Burge of MAPS about my experiences inside. This interview was published in the Spring 2014 MAPS Bulletin.

For a while, whilst reuniting with the free world, I thought little about the other psychedelic prisoners still behind bars. I spent as much time in the wilderness as possible. But through social media, I was repeatedly reminded that there were so many languishing in the “gulag archipelago” for nothing more than enabling people to experience different states of mind with psychedelic drugs. One person in particular kept coming to my attention: Timothy Tyler. Today as I write this he has spent over 22 years in prison. I pray he never spends another birthday in prison.

casey-rick-GD50.JPG

Casey William Hardison (right) and Rick Doblin at the Grateful Dead’s Fare Thee Well concert in Chicago, July 3, 2015.

The Invitation

In June 2015, MAPS’ founder Rick Doblin contacted me asking me to create and lead a Change.org petition asking President Obama to grant clemency to the many Deadheads and others serving long sentences for non-violent drug-related offenses. The petition was inspired by MAPS’ selection as one of the non-profits showcased at all five of the Grateful Dead’s 50th Anniversary “Fare Thee Well” reunion shows in Santa Clara, Calif., and Chicago, Ill. I leapt at the opportunity. It was right up my alley, as I had previously attempted to create a petition movement in the summer of 2000 asking President Clinton to pardon all non-violent drug offenders by the end of his term.

Clemency, a policy made famous by the Roman emperor Julius Caesar, means the forgiveness of a crime or the cancellation (in whole or in part) of the penalty associated with it. It is a general concept encompassing several related procedures: pardoning, commutation, remission and reprieves. In short, a reprieve grants lenience but does not relieve guilt whilst a pardon is both. The President of the United States has these powers:

The President...shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.—United States Constitution, Article II, Section 2, Clause 1​

While developing the petition we had many conversations about whether focusing on Deadheads and others in jail for psychedelics would exclude those in jail for other drug-related crimes, or whether highlighting the Grateful Dead community would help the petition get more attention. After some negotiations back and forth on the text, we compromised and kept the focus narrow to reflect the core mission of MAPS—the cultural reintegration of psychedelics—and to focus my message more on Tim Tyler, who is serving a life sentence for supplying LSD. This is absurd and reminds me of what Eric Sterling had said, in his essay “Law Enforcement Against Entheogens: Is it Religious Persecution?”:

[T]hose who are most trusting, such as those who are peaceful and spiritually inclined. Those who make, cultivate, or distribute entheogens have become the training targets for the heavy artillery of “the war on drugs.”​

Tim was a peaceful Deadhead, as was I. We had become the targets. None of this means that “those of us still in jail”, as Brad Burge had said, are less deserving of clemency. It is our brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, wives and husbands that are in jail needlessly and without justice.

The Shows

Dancing again with the Dead was truly liberating. In my freedom I had come full circle to the very place my idealistic and, at the time, perhaps, naive attitude to psychedelics had been born. So many times I have yearned for those Deadheads in prison to know their freedom will come soon. I danced hard for them. At times I even wept.

It was also awesome to see the MAPS booth and the excited crowds surrounding it. People came by the hundreds to be photographed by Bryce Montgomery of MAPS, with banners that said “I Support Psychedelic Science”, “I Support Psychedelic Education,” and “I Support Psychedelic Harm Reduction. (I was his first subject.)

Also while in Chicago, I was excited to stay at Rick’s parents’ house where he grew up. The open plan architecture gave me great insight into the openness of his mind: every wall has a door and every room opens to a huge skylight.

Waking up there on the Fourth of July we heard the news that President Obama had made a statement about making greater use of his reprieve and pardon powers with particular focus on non-violent drug war prisoners. We were elated to be part of the movement, encouraging politicians to make these important reforms.

The Future

Unfortunately, with so many petitions asking nearly the same thing of President Obama, I felt that our petition did not make much traction. While we did garner the support of over 18,000 individuals, the scope of the petition was narrow. Other petitions dedicated to single individuals have had similar results, and those geared toward larger, more inclusive groups of non-violent drug offenders have collected hundreds of thousands of signatures.

In late September we learned that the Federal Bureau of Prisons will be releasing about 6,000 federal prisoners—and ultimately as many as 46,000—who were convicted of drug offenses for which sentences have since been reduced. State and federal prisons release twice that number every week as inmates serve out their time, but 6,000 at once is an event, “the largest one-time federal release,” as The Washington Post put it.

In early October, I learned from Carrie Tyler, Timothy’s sister, that “there is a new law being introduced that would reduce his time from life to 25 years. It should be decided by the end of the year.” I have yet to confirm this, but I do note that a bipartisan group of top Senate lawmakers recently introduced a long-awaited sentencing reform law entitled the Sentencing Reform and Corrections Act, which would curb the mandatory minimum sentencing guidelines under which Timothy and many others were sentenced.

The law would end the federal “three strikes” mandatory life sentencing enacted as part of our nation’s “War on Drugs” approach and return discretion to the judges when meting out penalties, reserving harsher punishment for repeat felons with violent or more serious drug-related offenses. I am unclear whether this would apply retroactively to Timothy and other LSD prisoners with life sentences.

It is my sincere hope that these signals point toward the inevitable end of the “war on some people who use some drugs,” and in particular the release of each and every one of the non-violent Deadheads our petition targeted. It will take many years to recover from the untold harm that the war has meted out on families and communities. Releasing those individuals who chose to be involved in drugs unfamiliar to most of the lawmakers is the first step.

Casey William Hardison is an American chemist and self-described medical anthropologist committed to the idea of cognitive liberty or freedom of thought, the right to direct one’s consciousness as one sees fit. For Hardison this includes the use of tools or technologies, particularly psychedelic substances, for consciousness exploration and psychological transformation. He was convicted in the United Kingdom in 2005 of six offenses under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 involving psychedelic drugs: three of production, two of possession, and one of exportation. Hardison has taken a leading role in workshops on entheogenic drugs, their plant sources and history. In 2008 he helped found the Drug Equality Alliance, a non-profit organization working to secure equal rights and equal protections for all drug users.

http://www.maps.org/news/bulletin/a...thers-in-prison-for-non-violent-drug-offenses

The only people that have won the right to use scheduled drugs without a doctors prescription, are those Churches that have one the right to use Ayahuasca for "religious reasons".....and people following ancient native american religions can use mescaline

Its Bullshit that only believing it fantasy, cult like ideas, spirits, and so on.....give someone a right to alter their consciousness. If you are a person that only believes in facts empirical evidence and reality....altering your mind for self instrospection is unnaceptable Why do only religious people have rights to alter their mind in this way?

Last edited:
^ Cause of this document called the constitution. A long, drawn out legal battle to preserve their way of life was fought. I guess their way of life is irrational fantasy so it's less valuable if I understand your argument correctly. There are religious groups based on neuroscience that use substances FYI. No need to make this a divisive issue and raise an irrelevant gripe when we're talking about leniency for non-violent drug offenders.

Thanks for bringing this story to our attention.

^ Cause of this document called the constitution. A long, drawn out legal battle to preserve their way of life was fought. I guess their way of life is irrational fantasy so it's less valuable if I understand your argument correctly. There are religious groups based on neuroscience that use substances FYI. No need to make this a divisive issue and raise an irrelevant gripe when we're talking about leniency for non-violent drug offenders.

Thanks for bringing this story to our attention.

No, I think the idea he's getting it is that it's bullshit that some people can alter their consciousnesses with legal protection, using the same substances that others may not. Every competent, consenting adult should be able to legally engage in these sorts of activities, regardless of his/her religious affiliation. Religious affiliation should never be used as a justification to deny anyone the ability to engage in legally permissible activities, but it also shouldn't be used to grant people of X religious affiliation the right to engage in what are considered legally/ethically impermissible activities, either. We don't use religious affiliation as justification for serious criminal offenses, such as murder or theft, and if we as a society consider drug offenses to be serious legal offenses (which we currently do), then we shouldn't let people be engaging in those offenses solely on the basis of their religion.

Of course, the solution is simple in theory; recognize, as a society, that drug use should not be considered a serious criminal offense and let every suitable person engage in it. But yeah, as it stands w/ the current legal landscape, I think it's obvious bullshit and just betrays the fact that there is no really good ethical justification for drug criminalization.

I will concede that his post is tinged with invective, antireligious rhetoric that is unhelpful and distasteful, though.

No, I think the idea he's getting it is that it's bullshit that some people can alter their consciousnesses with legal protection, using the same substances that others may not. Every competent, consenting adult should be able to legally engage in these sorts of activities, regardless of his/her religious affiliation. Religious affiliation should never be used as a justification to deny anyone the ability to engage in legally permissible activities, but it also shouldn't be used to grant people of X religious affiliation the right to engage in what are considered legally/ethically impermissible activities, either. We don't use religious affiliation as justification for serious criminal offenses, such as murder or theft, and if we as a society consider drug offenses to be serious legal offenses (which we currently do), then we shouldn't let people be engaging in those offenses solely on the basis of their religion.

Of course, the solution is simple in theory; recognize, as a society, that drug use should not be considered a serious criminal offense and let every suitable person engage in it. But yeah, as it stands w/ the current legal landscape, I think it's obvious bullshit and just betrays the fact that there is no really good ethical justification for drug criminalization.

I will concede that his post is tinged with invective, antireligious rhetoric that is unhelpful and distasteful, though.
Yes we ubderstood what he was saying and I agree with that sentimebt wholeheartedly, but he did not uave to bash those who are allowed to use them just because he values a different belief system than they do. You can make that point with out scrutinizing other people.

Fair enough. We make exceptions to laws all the time based on circumstance. It isn't all so black and white. Drugs are clearly an example of this. Do meth on the the street, criminal. Do meth with a doctors note, not a criminal. I could use that as an argument for imprisoning meth users with a doctors note if that was my agenda. It isn't.

When considering the native Americans, let's not forget, we take their land, force them into compliance with our laws, monetary system and everything else then make their way of life (which is allegedly protected under the constitution) illegal cause of the war on drugs. I don't think it's a good example at all to make this point and whatever, I find it offensive. Might as well bring affirmative action into the debate of clemency towards deadheads if that's how we're gonna show our support for an issue.

Anyways, glad at least we can all agree it is unfair that some deadheads are doing serious time in jail for drug offenses.

Most admirably, in the United Kingdom Casey defended both the religious and non-religious users of psychedelic medicines during his tiral there.

Wikipedia said:
Employing human rights based arguments, Hardison asserted his right to freedom of thought and freedom from discrimination[3]

Hardison challenged the administration of the law itself as an abuse of process, citing the lack of evidence and rationale for UK government decisions to control and classify certain psychoactive drugs as more harmful than others, particularly alcohol and tobacco, under the system of classes A, B and C in the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971.[3]

Hardison reasoned to the court that since drug control and classification restricts liberty and determines the corresponding punishments associated with the unauthorized use, trade and/or production of any particular dangerous or otherwise harmful drug listed in the schedule 2 of Misuse of Drugs Act 1971, but the two most prevalent harmful drugs, alcohol and tobacco, are excluded from the schedule on irrational grounds, his prosecution denied him equality under the law and was a form of majoritarian discrimination.

Hardison argued that the UK government is unable to show that the regulations and sanctions applied to his activities are 'necessary in a democratic society', as human rights law requires, if the same regulations and sanctions were not also associated with alcohol and tobacco activities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_William_Hardison

Casey didn't plea bargain and Casey didn't narc. Casey defended the human rights of psychedelic users. Casey spent 9 years in prison because he did this. The psychedelic community remembered his trials.

When he got out he had a girlfriend and multiple jobs. Now Casey is doing great.

Thanks Casey William Hardison, you're a admirable American.

Last edited:
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."
-Thomas Paine

People on both sides of the War on Drugs agree with this, supporters of prohibition or decriminalization. Let us create a future where a middle ground is reached. A reality where evidence guided drug policy is focused on compassionately reducing the harms associated with drug use.

interesting thread. here are my thoughts on the religious exemption thing. first of all, i agree with levelsbeyond and acting like your beliefs are superior to the native americans beliefs is disrespectful and offensive and not needed here.

the only reason the native american have the right to use peyote is because they found a loophole in the constitution. i agree its unfair that they get to use it just because its part of their religion, not because i think my beliefs are superior (if anything i think the native american outlook is superior and i am currently reading the sixth grandfather teachings of black elk) but because even if i believe the same thing about peyote and want to start my own church that uses it, i cant, at least not without my own legal battle.

but the difficulty with the religious defense is that its problematic for a government that wants to ban everything. ill give you an example i curently work in a hospital which requires all employees (even though i work in a kitchen and have no contact with patients) to get tons of vaccinations. now forced vaccination is against my spiritual and moral beliefs. the only way to get out of the vaccination is the religious defense. however, i cant use that defense, because even though it is against my beliefs, i am not an actual member of an offiicial church that teaches vaccinations are no good. of course its unfair, but the reason its like that is because if all you had to do was say "its against my beliefs" then everyone who didnt want to get the shots would simply say that.

thats why they make it so difficult. is it fair? no, but our government is not interested in being fair its only interested in pursuing its own interests. basically what i am saying is right to alter ones mind defense is basically the same as outright legalization unless you are going to put strict controls on who gets to claim they have a right to alter their mind (such as requiring them to belong to an official church). thats why they do it. otherwise anyone who got arrested for any drug would just say they were using it for religious reasons. thats the trouble. no dount there are plenty of people like myself who actually are using for religious reasons but its hard to prove intent. the idea that a drugs legal status should depend on the users intent is pretty shaky to begin with.

the only solution i can think of off the top of head (aside from outright legalization) would be some sort of lengthy application process, where you eventually get a license allowing you to use psychedelics. Other than that, how are you gonna find a medium between outright legalization and religious use aside from the current restrictions on religious to certain groups? of course some form of legalization is the most obvious solution, but the government seems dead set against that.

Last edited:
Anyone should be able to do psychedelic hallucinogens using only the logic that, "I like these drugs and I want to do them", as long as they don't engage in destructive behavior towards others. Holy shit. I agree that the bit about some kind of spiritual element being a necessary component of "acceptable psychedelic use" is such utter and complete bullshit...my desire to use these drugs because I feel like they positively impact my life is just as valid a reason as someone who uses them to connect with mother Gaia or something

Do meth on the the street, criminal. Do meth with a doctors note, not a criminal. I could use that as an argument for imprisoning meth users with a doctors note if that was my agenda. It isn't.

OR, alternately, you could use the arbitrary nature/inconsistent foundation of modern drug law to form an argument against prosecuting illegal meth users :)

I don't swear most of the time so please excuse me but I fucking LOVE the term "Cognitive Liberty". IMO it's the best angle for us to fight from. In the same way 20 century women claimed their womb as their space, I want the area between my ears to be a space the government has no say over. I shouldn't need to justify my drug use as medical or spiritual because it isn't. It's should be my right to alter my perception in anyway I wish.

Bluelight could easily set up a vote for a petition. It's simply that the space between your ears is yours. We were all born innocent, even if one of our parents drank or did some other dumb shit. My current taste in medicine could be due to the fact that I had ptsd by age 5 years old. I was told by my father, that when I was born, she was so deep under whatever birthing drugs were used for cesarean c section, that she almost did not come out of it. Could that have had a mental effect on my brain? Could this be why I was tripped out as a little kid. Could this be why I take 3, 10mg Valium and one 30mg Temazepam every day?
Did you know that in 78' (my birth year), 2 billon Diazepam tablets were produced world wide.
The point is, I'll work, I'll contribute, I'll respect, I will have positive interaction with society. I'll even go with the flow. My mind is my mind. It is time for clemency for drug war POW and time to educate.
Even those who made a mistake using a certain drug, in the wrong place at the wrong time. Every scumbag to doctor on Bluelight deserves that right. Speed King