• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Classic Treatment for a Classic Condition , Bring back the Benzos!

foolsgold

Bluelighter
In a recent issue of the Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, Dr David Healy, professor of psychiatry at Bangor University in the United Kingdom, tells the story of “Cora,” a beautiful young 18-year-old who turned up at Healy’s hospital one day mute (Healy, 2013).

They couldn't get a word out of her. Bad trip? Boyfriend took off? She refused to answer.

Then she did start to talk, but began to alternate episodes of volatility with lying in bed “almost completely unresponsive.”

Now, I've told you enough already to give you the diagnosis. Mute? Alternating stupor and agitation?

These are the symptoms of catatonia, a diagnosis that goes back to the 1870s and that US psychiatrist Max Fink has recently revived (Fink, 2012). The treatments of choice for catatonia are benzodiazepines (Valium-style drugs) and shock therapy (electroconvulsive therapy, ECT).

But before Healy could begin the appropriate treatment, she checked out and went off with her parents. She was then readmitted a year later to another hospital, this time overactive. Doctors at this hospital diagnosed schizophrenia (!) and put her on antipsychotics. She had just given birth and they took her baby away from her.

“Some months later,” Healy says, “having told her parents she was going out for a walk, she laid her neck on the track in the face of an oncoming express train.”

Cora’s death was completely pointless, because her clinicians failed to recognize the symptoms of catatonia and to put her on the standard anti catatonic treatments, which are highly effective.

There are many Cora’s on this side of the pond too, patients whose catatonia is unrecognized and who are treated inappropriately: antipsychotics worsen the symptoms of catatonia and are counter-indicated.

There are two problems here. One is the under-diagnosis of catatonia. This is about to be corrected because the new DSM-5 includes catatonia outside the context of schizophrenia (for a hundred years it had been considered a subtype of schizophrenia, and if your patient wasn't schizophrenic, catatonia would not occur to you as a diagnosis). This is one of the few good things one can say about DSM-5, that it will make clinicians more familiar with the stereotypical movements, the negativism, the posturing, the “waxy rigidity” of the limbs, the alternation of stupor and agitation, the mutism, the food refusal . . . the symptoms of catatonia are quite extensive.

The other problem, however, is not about to be corrected, and that is medicine’s horror of a drug class that was once a therapeutic mainstay: the benzodiazepines. Younger clinicians today have almost all learned in their training that benzos are “highly addictive” and must never be prescribed, except possibly for the short-acting variety that serve as hypnotics. But the benzos with longer half-lives, such as Valium – one of the single most useful drugs in psychiatry – hey, no way, man!

This benzo refusal is a perfect example of a time-honored principle in medicine: Why react when you can overreact? In the 1970s benzos were widely prescribed for “anxiety,” much as the stimulants became widely prescribed in the 1950s and -60s for weight loss. And like the stimulants, some patients took the benzos at high doses for long periods and experienced symptoms of withdrawal when they tried to get off them. Withdrawal is not really a problem at lower doses for short periods. (Katz et al., 1990).

But what convinced physicians as a whole that the benzos were as deadly as rat poison was not the experience of a few patients abusing them; it was the advertising of the makers of the competing Prozac-style drugs, flogging their wares for “depression.” Prozac and its cousins were hyped as “non-addictive.” The whole anxiety diagnosis became associated with the now stigmatized benzos, and medicine moved on from a highly effective drug class to the SSRI (Prozac-style) drug class that senior clinicians see as almost inert, at least in the treatment of depression (Shorter, 2008).

The catatonia diagnosis means the return of the benzodiazepines, the only effective treatment for the disorder outside of ECT. For once, science will be driving psychiatry.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ed/201305/classic-treatment-classic-condition

Good article! I had no idea that catatonia existed apart from schizophrenia.

The whole anxiety diagnosis became associated with the now stigmatized benzos, and medicine moved on from a highly effective drug class to the SSRI (Prozac-style) drug class that senior clinicians see as almost inert, at least in the treatment of depression.

Wow, so we're already calling SSRIs "inert"?

Interesting article OP. Benzos do have a place, for sure, but have to be used with caution. I have been guilty of abuse.

I've recently come off 3 years of Lexapro 20mg, and SSRI's are definitely beneficial, from my point of view.

Symptoms have returned, but controllable. Reality has also returned, in all it's colours, and is welcomed.

I've worked in healthcare for years, and I've seen neither catatonia nor catatonic schizophrenia. I don't doubt they exist, and are distinct diseases, but I have no reason to think either one is common.

Benzos are addictive and dangerous to two very specific groups of people, IME, with some but by no means complete overlap:
1. People who find it very hard to relax, and take the same sort of joy in those rare moments of complete relaxation that someone lost in the desert takes in a bottle of cold water dropping down from the heavens.
2. People who like to combo them with opiates or alcohol.

If neither one is you, then the chances of you finding benzos fun enough to abuse and get hooked on aren't super high. Anything's possible, of course. But benzo addicts do tend to fit a profile, psychologically. But regardless, if you do end up having active benzos in your system pretty much constantly for 7-10 days, and then abruptly quit them, you'll be in a world of pain. Being on them the rest of your life would take its toll on some of your cognitive functions. People who've been on benzos for years sometimes find they never feel quite right anymore.

I'll admit that there are people in this world whose only shot at any quality of life involves endless benzos. I'll say the same thing for other hard-to-quit drugs, like corticosteroids, opioids and SNRIs. But there will always be far more people who will pay almost any price for guaranteed instant relaxation, if it's readily for sale.

I agree that they should be used more. They can't be more dangerous than AP's, right? Funny because the first profile you state seems to be of someone who in fact should be on benzos. What's wrong with taking medication if it helps that much?

Give these tortured people real relief. They deserve any psychiatric drug which helps, no matter how addictive, so long as they're aware of the risks. Benzos have been in use so long; they aren't very harmful at relatively low doses, even long-term. Agreements? Disagreements?

America is going through a period of benzo-phobia and I think we need to sit down and evaluate the real lack of alternatives that we have at the moment. Neorontin and Lyrica seem to be promising, less addictive alternatives. But right now benzos are the best psyhciatric medicine we have for many conditions IMO.

But regardless, if you do end up having active benzos in your system pretty much constantly for 7-10 days, and then abruptly quit them, you'll be in a world of pain.

I've abruptly stopped tid Xanax after like a month and there really wasn't anything to it. In fact, discontinuing it even after 5 years didn't seem to trouble me much either. Maybe I am special.

I've abruptly stopped tid Xanax after like a month and there really wasn't anything to it. In fact, discontinuing it even after 5 years didn't seem to trouble me much either. Maybe I am special.
I would say you're pretty lucky. My first use of benzo was 1 mg once a day of xanax for a week. This small period of use was enough enough to give me a very nasty rebound which consisted of hand drenching sweat, tremors, panic attacks, and insomnia. Prior to that experience, I almost never drank alcohol and never took any other drugs that would effect gaba a receptors.

I've never suffered discontinuation syndrome from alprazolam, diazepam, temazepam, or gabapentin, so it is indeed true that for some of us, benzos are easy to quit! Wish it was that easy with other things :\