• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Clarithromycin and MDMA/ecstasy

waky97

Greenlighter
well im not an experienced mdma/ecs user at all, i only done it twice on a 3 day festival this summer and it was great, my doctor prescribed me with antibiotic clarithromycin because I have a sore throat and swollen lymph nodes so it's possible it's an infection/virus, and I read about the enzyme that stops mdma metabolising or something and this antibiotic is connected with it, I was just wondering would it be safe to take half a pill at the rave tomorrow? its gonna be an awesome rave and i really want to roll tomorrow night. maybe i should start with a quarter of a pill and then another one if it's all good just to make sure im safe? i just wonder will it prolong my roll or make the comedown worse? because after taking ecstasy 2 nights straight this summer i remember i was feeling the comedown with a weird ,depressish feeling so im not taking the comedown too well, i wonder would it even be worse now? and also is it safe to combine it with weed and use xalol for the comedown? i was taking a few xalol pills durin the 2-3 days im taking antibiotics and it seemed all fine for me.

forgot to mention, xalol is alprazolam pretty much the same as xanax, but i guess thats safe with mdma.

im worried about the antibiotic though, it cant be lethal if combined with mdma right, i will take my 6th dose of clarithromycin like 6-8 hours before i roll.

Lethal? Probably not but clarithromycin is a fairly strong inhibitor of one of the enzymes, CYP3A4, involved in MDMA metabolism. Not sure exactly how inhibiting this particular enzyme could lead to MDMA toxicity but still if you must, start low, 1/4 tab sounds good, and see.

mdma inhibits its own metabolism. so while taking a cyp-inhibitor will make a difference (especially lower doses should feel stronger), it's not going to be as big as would be expected.
but the main thing is that taking mdma leads to a huge release of cortisol and therefore supresses your immune system. if you already have an infection that's serious enough that you have to take medicine, then that's the last thing you want. if you wait until you're well again, you not only make sure that you won't make your infection worse, but you'll also not have to worry about interactions with an antibiotic.

just gotta say i had a great time last night, started off with 1/4 of a pill, smoked a few joints, then when i saw everything was alright i took another 1/4 of a pill, and in the end i bought 1 pill with a friend and split it so i took 1/2 of a pill, it all went great apart from my throat hurting now i smoked like 30 cigs last night, my friends wanted to do more and more they did speed and offered but i denied didnt want to risk because of the antibiotic, i didnt even want to do 1 full pill but i needed more to keep me up

but ye just to clear it up i had a great time even when using antibiotic, i didnt even have a depressish comedown which i usually get its only that im feeling fatigued and my throat hurts.

Hey I might do MDMA tomorrow, but am currently on Clarithromycin for my acne, toking 500mg a day. I have just come off of lymecyclin/doxycline since they gave me gastritis. To cure the gastritis I had omperazol which I stopped taking about a week ago, and have since started the Clarithromycin. If i just don't take my clarithromycin for 24 hours before will I be ok? really need help!! Thank you :))

Just be safe my friend, like others have said Clarithromycin is a fairly strong inhibitor of the 3A4 enzyme, meaning that metabolism of MDMA/MDA gets slowed down and stays longer in your system. Take a lower dose of MDMA if you're concerned :)