• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Citalopram questions.

AnDelusionalDog

Greenlighter
Sorry for long post... just took a few xanax and like to ramble lol

So Iv'e always had bad anxiety but didn't have insurance until recently. I'm about to turn 34 and have been a serious-moderate drug user my whole life. Usually moderate at times serious. Just background.... I guess.

Anyway I went to a GP today and was hoping to get xanax cause I love the stuff and it really helps when I need help too... I walked away with xanax and citalopram which I had never heard of and was hoping it was another benzo... doh' It's not.

My Dr. told me with both prescriptions that since I'm tall I might need higher doses(I'm 6'1 and like 145 lbs lol) so try them both for a few days and double your dosage in a couple days. My starter dose is .25 mg xanax as needed and 20mg citalopram daily. the max dose would be 1mg xamax as needed and 40mg citalopram. I love this dr! I won't push the 1 mg's but I'll gladly take a renewable script for some .5's.

So I get home and pop 1 mg of xanax cause i havent had any in a week or so and wanted to have fun tonight and thats my usual dose. I then proceed to google about citalopram.

Found out it's an SSRI which confused me as all of this was for general anxiety disorder... But I do see that even though it's typically a antidepressant it is used for other things including general anxiety disorder.

However from my understanding all SSRI's take a while to build up in your system before they help... after googling yeah this one takes a couple weeks to really start working.

So I guess my question is why would my dr say to increase the dosage after a couple days as opposed to after a couple weeks?

I have never taken any antidepressants before so am somewhat oblivious to them in comparison to other drugs...

Thanks for any info and thanks for reading all of that lol.

Peace and love! %)

I'm noticing a decent amount of views and no replies. Is there a better area to put this than the basic drug info? I do know not many people know much about this one but have noticed other questions on citalopram get answered.

I have taken it the last coupe days and I do almost feel like a tiny benzo high but it might be placebo or just a benzo hangover from the xanax lol. Real curious though.

Thanks again for any help.

Because everyone's different theres always someone who will have a severe reaction to any medication. By taking a low dose first for a few days it just makes sure something wack doesnt happen like a life threatening allergic reaction.