• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Citalopram has destroyed my pleasure from alcohol - anyone can relate?

Mickey436

Greenlighter
I've been on citalopram for little while now. It's been useful, but I think I'm ready to come off them now.

I know most people seem to get an enhanced buzz or tipsyness from drinking on antidepressants, but I've had the opposite reaction: I've noticed since I started is that I can no longer seem to get a 'buzz' from drinking at all. I still feel a little out of it, but I don't feel any of the usual joy or euphoria. I just feel woozy.

I was wondering firstly if anyone else has experienced this whilst on an SSRI? Secondly, if you did, did the buzz return after you stopped taking them?
Note: I'm not an alcoholic and it wouldn't be the end of the world if it didn't, but I'd obviously quite like it too - I enjoy the pleasure from drinking with friends a great deal.
Thanks for any and all input!

Last edited:
What you're describing constitutes a pretty subjective opinion/experience. Some people don't enjoy alcohol rergardless of the medications and/or supplements that they're taking. With that said, a commonly reported feeling while undergoing therapy with SSRI antidepressants is a "blunting" of things like emotional intensity. For some, like myself, SSRI's lead to a noticeable blunting of emotional experience in both directions. I'm unable to feel the high highs and the low lows, if you will.

So, with this in mind, as I've said to others regarding their experiences consuming recreational drugs during antidepressant therapy, it shouldn't be a surprise that your drugs are effecting you in an augmented or lessened way.

I don't drink often. I am taking 40mg. of citalopram (celexa) and have been on it for over 10 years. It has never affected my buzz from alcohol. Everyone is different though.

my exp with celexa and alcohol was that i could drink a lot of alcohol, and not seem to feel like i'm getting drunk at all. no buzz or anything, even after like half a bottle of spirits.

you might want to consider swapping to a different ssri? anhedonia(inability to have fun) is a sign that your current med might not be working as well as it used to