• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Cigarettes to rise to $40 a packet after the gov confirmed tax hike as part of budget

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Cigarettes to rise to $40 a packet after the government confirmed tax hike as part of Budget 2016

Smokers can expect to pay $40 for a packet of cigarettes after a hike in tobacco tax was confirmed on Tuesday.

Federal Finance Minister Mathias Cormann confirmed the increase of tobacco excise which is set to increase by 12.5 per cent annually until 2020, according to The Courier-Mail

Initially proposed by Labor, the opposition was forced to defend a $20 billion black hole in its funding policy after a leaked federal budget document revealed a shortfall in the expected revenue from taxing smokers.

33C2A83C00000578-3570410-image-m-10_1462239117047.jpg

Shadow assistant treasurer Andrew Leigh says Labor used official costings from the Parliamentary Budget Office and they will provide updated figures closer to the election.

'This is a desperate government that has adopted a Labor policy and that is now looking to fearmonger about it,' Dr Leigh told ABC radio on Tuesday.

Mr Cormann said the government's assumptions for calculating the tax from cigarettes would be released in the federal budget on Tuesday night.

33C2A82700000578-3570410-image-a-8_1462239105711.jpg

'Labor has never released what their assumptions or constructions were,' he told ABC radio.

Shadow treasurer Chris Bowen says the Parliamentary Budget Office would update Labor's policy costings after the budget and again after the pre-election fiscal statement.

He also denied the revenue from tobacco taxes would go directly to schools, saying it was just one of Labor's planned savings.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...irmed-tax-hike-Budget-2016.html#ixzz47ahzJChv

Australia truly sucks when it comes to buying cigarettes. Average packs these days are $20 plus and that's just for a 20 pack sometimes. I remember when I started 15 years ago it was only $7.70 for top end brand cigarettes like Dunhill or Peter Starveysent. Now I smoke the cheaper stuff and pay $18.75 for a pack of 20, if I smoked what I used to it would cost me $30 a pack. In the mean time weed is quite cheap here. Government has no fucken clue.

Lul wot? 40AUD is five times the price here and I thought we had hard taxation on tobacco products. I hope the median salary is also five times higher or average cigarette smoker is pretty much fucked up.

Time to change into e-cigs? Is the legislation and taxation better for those?

I think e cigs are banned/prohibited here but I am not 100% sure.

This move to hike the price of a pack of smokes up to $40 is insane. It's going to create more of a black market for them than ever. No one wonts to pay that, it's a rip off at $20.

People tell me they are like $5 or less in some asian places which arent that far away really.

Instead of ripping off the smokers so bad why dont they legalise and sell weed to over 18's to make more tax? Fuckwits.

Lul wot? 40AUD is five times the price here and I thought we had hard taxation on tobacco products. I hope the median salary is also five times higher or average cigarette smoker is pretty much fucked up.

Time to change into e-cigs? Is the legislation and taxation better for those?

The price, it seems, is indicative of four years time with 4x 12.5% increases year on year.

Meanwhile, Finland (?), you do not have heavy tobacco taxation. GB currently is $20+ aus per packet of 20.

Also...tobacco is shite. Just give up. I did (after 30 years of 20 a day).

E Cigarettes are legal here. Although studies have shown they are just as lethal as cigarettes.

Cigarettes in Indonesia are about $1.5. Phillipines it's like $1.5. In some European countries like Serbia I remember only paying $2 for a pack.

The government realises people are still going to smoke and drink and go well if we jack it up and disguise it like as if we want to stop it and care bout people's health, it pleases everyone still as it's not banned but just the prices have gone up. Unfortunately the smokers and drinkers have to suffer. They had a 70% increase on pre mixed drinks here like bourbon and coke etc. They thought it would stop violence and underage drinking. However the price of bottles of spirits stayed the same.

Yeah, i'm not sure on it. People debate if they are as lethal as smoking cigarettes. It seems to me at a guess inhaling vapour would be far less damaging than combusting tobacco with all those chemicals in it (what is it, like 4,000 or something, including arsenic and cyanide and DDT amongst many more).

The sale and personal possession or use (among other things) of nicotine electronic cigarettes is currently unlawful in every jurisdiction in Australia unless specifically approved/authorised/ licenced/etc) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9). This is due to controls on nicotine that apply in each state and territory by reason of it being classified as a ‘Schedule 7- Dangerous Poison’ under the Commonwealth Poisons Standard (10). This position could change in the future should an electronic cigarette product be registered by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (‘TGA’) (discussed below).
 Where a nicotine electronic cigarette is for therapeutic uses, such as smoking cessation or alleviation of nicotine withdrawal, the electronic cigarette must be registered by the TGA in order to be sold lawfully (9). This involves an assessment of elements including the safety, quality and efficacy of the liquid nicotine and an assessment of the design of the electronic cigarette to ensure it is safe to use (11) (12). Liquid nicotine for inhalation for therapeutic uses is a ‘Schedule 4 – Prescription only’ medicine under the national Poisons Standard (13), which means that any TGA registered nicotine electronic cigarette products would be available by prescription only. There are currently no TGA registered electronic cigarettes (11) and importation, exportation, manufacture and supply of unregistered therapeutic goods is a criminal offence under the Therapeutic Goods Act 1989 (Cth) (9).
 Where the nicotine electronic cigarette is represented as being for recreational purposes only (that is, not for therapeutic use), the nicotine is classified as a

09/15
‘Schedule 7 - Dangerous Poison’ under the national Poisons Standard (13). This means that the manufacture, sale and possession of this kind of recreational product is currently unlawful in all states and territories (unless an approval, authority/ licence/ permit (as the case may be) can be sought and is granted by the relevant state or territory authority) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (14).
 Even if a specific electronic cigarette product were to receive TGA registration in the future, it is possible that its sale would still be banned in states and territories that specifically prohibit the retail sale of products that are designed to resemble tobacco products (i.e, South Australia (‘SA’) (15) and Western Australia (‘WA’) (16).
Commercial importation and retail sale of non-nicotine electronic
cigarettes
 Importation for commercial purposes and retail sale of non-nicotine electronic cigarettes that are marketed with therapeutic claims is unlawful across Australia unless the product is registered by the TGA (9). There are currently no TGA registered electronic cigarettes (11).
 Importation and retail sale of non-nicotine electronic cigarettes that do not make therapeutic claims is not covered by laws relevant to therapeutic goods, meaning that they can be imported and sold by retailers without needing to comply with laws relevant to therapeutic goods. Restrictions under customs and/or drugs and poisons laws may apply depending on the constituents of a particular product (and often constituents are not fully disclosed).
 As noted above, SA (15) and WA (16) laws prohibit retail sale of products that resemble tobacco products. Therefore, even if non-nicotine electronic cigarette products make no therapeutic claims, the retail sale of particular models in those jurisdictions may still be an offence.
Importation of nicotine electronic cigarettes for personal use
 Importation of nicotine electronic cigarettes for personal therapeutic use (e.g, use as a quitting aid) is exempt from TGA registration requirements (but other conditions apply, noted below). This exemption arises under the personal importation scheme provided for under the Therapeutic Goods Regulations 1990 (Cth) (Schedule 5). It is therefore possible to lawfully import nicotine electronic cigarettes for personal use if the importer is able to comply with the

requirements of the TGA’s personal importation scheme. Under this scheme (among other requirements):
o As the goods are listed in Schedule 4 of the Poisons Standard (Prescription only), the importer must have a prescription from a medical practitioner registered in the relevant state or territory (unless the importer carries the goods as a passenger on a ship or plane) (17).
o The goods must be imported for use in the treatment of the importer or the importer’s immediate family.
o The quantity imported in one importation must not be more than three months’ supply at the maximum dose recommended by the manufacturer.
o The goods must not contain a substance the importation of which is prohibited under the Customs Act 1901 (Cth) (while nicotine is not a prohibited import, other constituents of electronic cigarettes might be. Often constituents are not fully disclosed).
o The total quantity of the goods imported in a 12 month period must not exceed 15 months’ supply (18) (19).
The requirement for a medical prescription may pose practical barriers for people in Australia wishing to order nicotine electronic cigarettes online, in the event that medical practitioners are unwilling or unable (for legal reasons) to provide a prescription for a product that has not been approved by the TGA.
 Even if TGA laws and regulations permit nicotine to be imported for personal use with a medical prescription, state and territory drugs and poisons laws may or may not permit possession of that product as different restrictions apply to “prescription” medicines. It would be prudent for consumers to check restrictions under their applicable state and territory poisons laws to see if there are any other restrictions on the possession and use of electronic cigarettes obtained with a medical prescription from overseas.
 Importation and/or possession of nicotine electronic cigarettes for recreational use is not covered by the TGA personal importation scheme but will be in breach of state and territory drugs and poisons laws (as such a product would be considered a Schedule 7 - Dangerous Poison) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (14).

Importation of non-nicotine electronic cigarettes for personal use
 Importation of non-nicotine electronic cigarettes that are marketed with therapeutic claims is covered by therapeutic goods laws and regulations and it is lawful to import these products for personal use or use by an immediate family member if the importer complies with the personal importation scheme (described above). Because the products do not contain a prescription only medicine (i.e. nicotine), no medical prescription is required, but the other conditions outlined above (for example, regarding personal/family use, three months’ supply and 15 months’ supply within 12 months and restrictions on prohibited imports) all apply.
 Importation of non-nicotine electronic cigarettes that do not make therapeutic claims is not covered by laws relevant to therapeutic goods, meaning that they can be imported for personal use and commercial purposes without needing to comply with laws relevant to therapeutic goods. However, restrictions under customs and/or drugs and poisons laws may apply depending on the constituents of a particular product (and often constituents are not fully disclosed).
Applicability of tobacco control laws
 There may be a case that certain promotions of electronic cigarettes are in breach of the Tobacco Advertising Prohibition Act 1992 (Cth) (‘TAP Act’); however, there are currently no legislative provisions in the TAP Act that specifically refer to electronic cigarettes.
 In Queensland, tobacco control laws prohibiting sales to minors, restricting advertising and display at retail outlets, and prohibiting use in smokefree areas now also apply to “personal vaporises”, which includes electronic cigarettes. These restrictions apply to all electronic cigarettes, even those that may be TGA listed in the future. These laws came into effect on 1 January 2015 (20).
 In NSW, it is an offence to sell electronic cigarettes and accessories to minors or for adults to purchase these products on behalf of minors (21) and police have powers to seize electronic cigarettes from minors (22). There are also restrictions on vending machines used for selling electronic cigarettes and related offences (23). These laws came into effect on 1 September 2015 (24). NSW tobacco control laws on retail sale and display, advertising and promotion, and smoking in motor vehicles with juveniles (under 16) present will apply to electronic cigarettes from 1 December 2015 (24) (25).

 In other states and territories, it is unlikely that electronic cigarettes fall within tobacco control laws, including smokefree laws. However, individual businesses and the public sector can develop their own policies on use of electronic cigarettes in their organisations and retailers can choose whether or not to display or sell non-nicotine electronic cigarette products.
Please note: This information sheet does not constitute legal advice and should not be relied on as such. Consider whether you or your organisation should seek legal advice tailored to your specific circumstances.

E Cigarettes are legal here. Although studies have shown they are just as lethal as cigarettes.

Source?

P.S. Good luck with the hunt...you'll have a very hard time finding a single study that has shown that ecigs are "just as lethal as cigarettes."

In the mean time weed is quite cheap here. Government has no fucken clue.

What till they legalize it and then they tax the shit out of it like tobacco in an effort "to help people quit." $40 a gram weed wouldn't surprise me.

E cigs are legal but juice containing nicotine is not. You have to order that from overseas.

In New York the price of cigarettes is fairly prohibitive as well. What happened was more people were driving to the reservation to buy duty free cigarettes and alcohol from the native americans. Enterprising cigarette smokers will always find a way around legislation...I would probably grow tobacco if it came down to it.

In the immortal words of one David Chappelle, "That's crack prices!"

Hey just drop me an email.. I will send out cancer sticks for twenty a pack all day long. I mean do they really think this is going to work. forty a pack is just way to much and black market cigs will fly in.

Illegal tobacco industry flourishing in Australia as government hikes taxes

THE tobacco tax hike sounds like an unimpeachable idea, but it’s fuelling a troubling illegal industry linked to organised crime.

Scott Morrison announced in the Budget that annual excise increases of 12.5 per cent would continue for four more years, making Australia’s stance on smoking one of the toughest in the world.
With the price of a pack of cigarettes set to rise to $40, some public health bodies have hailed the move as an effective way to stop people lighting up.

But instead of quitting, many smokers are buying cut-price cigarettes from the dangerous and unregulated illicit industry, which distributes 2.4 million kilograms of tobacco across the country every year.
The Budget expects to raise $4.7 billion from tobacco addicts, but not a cent will be spent on anti-smoking campaigns, making some claim the tax hike is more punishment than practical solution.

f5a5e3090255d10a6b6f48f62ba64a99

Police seize thousands of packets of illicit tobacco in Sydney’s Campsie and Hurstville in August.

INSIDE THE ILLEGAL INDUSTRY

As much as 14.3 per cent of tobacco consumed in Australia is bought through the black market, taking $1.4 billion out of the revenue earned from taxes each year.
A huge range of brands and counterfeit imitations are sold illegally by small grocery stores and individuals across the country.

Since smoking is known to be highly addictive, raising prices isn’t necessarily going to force people to quit. But since smokers are more likely to be socio-economically disadvantaged, many will look for cheaper ways to get their fix.

That could mean turning to illegal traders, where a pack of 20 cigarettes from China could cost as little as $10 for a pack of 20. There’s no way of knowing what chemicals are in these unregulated products, so the health risks are even greater.
KPMG’s biannual report, Illicit Tobacco in Australia, revealed in November that illegal tobacco consumption declined marginally in the 12 months to June 2015, the first decline since 2012.

This was partially offset by a large rise in unbranded “chop chop” tobacco.

The industry is dominated by serious and organised crime groups, who see the illegal tobacco trade as a low-risk, high-profit opportunity, according to a 2015 report by the Australian Crime Commission. The ACC said it was “highly likely” the market will remain attractive to crime rings for these reasons.

c0b27c18a20c2c18d6aef4b3c516e24a

‘CHEAP WHITES’ AND VIETNAMESE TEA

“Cheap whites” or “illicit whites”, notably the Manchester brand, are a growing feature of the market. These are products made legally in a factory with the approval of an overseas licensing authority, but that do not meet product standards in Australia.
Since the closure of the legal domestic tobacco production industry in 2006, there has been an ongoing decline in the supply of homegrown tobacco to the illegal market.

But in May 2014, the Australian Taxation Office and Australian Federal Police seized around 350,000 illegal tobacco plants grown in regional Victoria, with an estimated excise value of $15 million.

There are regular seizures of tobacco and cigarettes as they the enter Australia, using all kind of clever tactics to bypass border control.

In September 2014, border control found around 2.2 tons of undeclared loose tobacco with an estimated tax revenue of $1.5 million hidden in foil packages labelled “Pandan Tea” entering the port of Melbourne from Vietnam.

In November 2015, officers discovered four million cigarettes with an estimated tax evasion value of more than $2.25 million declared as carpet tiles as they arrived in Sydney from Singapore. Others have worked with alleged corrupt industry officials on the Sydney waterfront and in the maritime supply chain.

“Serious and organised crime will use the same infrastructural spine upon which it imports prohibited drugs to import tobacco,” said Border Force CEO Roman Quaedvlieg in 2015’s senate estimates.
“We are seeing an increase in organised crime entities involved in this. I put it down partially to the fact that the excise in duty payable on tobacco is increasing.”

Just last month, the AFP and the Australian Border Force’s Tobacco Strike team dismantled a smuggling syndicate in Melbourne, seizing 13 million cigarettes, more than eight tons of loose leaf tobacco and $1.7 million in cash. Police believe the crime ring may have evaded up to $45 million in duty and taxes in the past 12 months.

The Budget has allocated the Tobacco Strike team $7.7 million in the Budget over two years for clawing back lost revenue. But $3.35 million a year won’t go very far towards stopping a $1.4 billion industry.

‘WE’RE THE EASIEST TO HIT’

It’s hard to advocate making money from a dangerous addiction, but small businesses say they are bearing the brunt of the pain from the tobacco tax hikes as customers turn to illegal traders and smugglers.
Four years of annual 12.5 per cent increases have already taken their toll on retailers, who say the government is not sufficiently committed to cracking down on illicit sales of tobacco products.

Chiang Lim, General Manager of the Alliance of Australian Retailers, told news.com.au: “I can understand why some would say this is fantastic anti-smoking measure, but police need to realise there are unintended consequences.
“We’re losing about 14 per cent of sales ... We also lose out on other products and services they use in our stores.

“The ones who can absorb this are the bigger businesses, who are doing parallel importing of their own tobacco products. We’re the poor guys, the easiest to hit.
“Australia was on target in terms of the obviously deliberate decline of smokers over time. I can only conclude the government needs money.”

Mr Lim, who sits on the board of the government’s Illicit Tobacco Industry Advisory Group, said he had heard from one retailer in Tasmania that police had ignored his report of an illegal seller for three months.
“Newsagents as a category are already under threat. How do you compete with a competitor who’s blatantly selling illegal products and the authorities are not interested?
“We’re trying to do the right thing. We pay our taxes, we pay staff.”

SO WHAT’S THE HEALTH BENEFIT?

The question is whether the tax hike is simply about a “nanny state” punishing addicts and assisting a burgeoning criminal trade, or if it’s really going to help smokers quit.
Recent health campaigns, the introduction of plain packaging and stricter rules on where you can smoke have seen the nation’s smoking population plummet from 25 per cent in 1993 to 13 per cent in 2013, and it’s hoped that will continue.

University of Melbourne public health physician Dr Nathan Grills said thousands of lives could be saved by the tax hike, while Quit Victoria’s director Dr Sarah White said increasing prices was the “single most effective way to get people to stop smoking and get kids to stop taking up smoking”.

But Mr Lim doubts the government’s motives, calling it “appalling” that after eight consecutive years of tobacco excise tax increases, no money has been reserved specifically for anti-smoking education or cessation programs or tobacco-related health services.
There’s also an argument that smokers should pay up because they cost the health system a fortune. But Dutch researchers found in 2008 smokers cost less to treat in the long run because they die earlier, the New York Times reported.

The Cancer Council Victoria’s online resource, Tobacco in Australia, reports: “Smoking increases some health care costs because of the higher prevalence of diseases caused by smoking (in smokers and ex-smokers who are still alive).

“However, certain other health care costs are lower than they otherwise would be because of the premature deaths of many people who smoked over the past 40 years. These people did not live to use health care that they otherwise would have.”
Is a tax hike the best solution to our smoking problem? That’s the burning issue.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/econ.../news-story/c1d28c0a1919d0fbcc499579a2386b28?

Most smokers these days are life long addicts who won't give up and the government knows this, for some people, my Mum was one, smoking is a pleasure that the people over 50 enjoy. The people who this will affect the most will just go without things like food.

The governments strangle hold on peoples freedoms tightens day by day and Australia being the nation of apathy will lap it up. Not to mention the black market in chop chop will increase exponentially.

1984 is upon us

I still smoke but hate it. If I don't drink, I don't smoke. To me being a regular smoker seems to be gross as cigarettes taste like shit. But I picked up the habbit of drinking and smoking a long time ago now and can't seem to stop it.

Last week I was speaking to a guy at my local pub and he was telling me about how he had lung cancer and that the first thing he did after he had surgery when he was on the way home in the cab was to tell the driver to stop the car at the local shops so that he could buy a pack and smoke a cigarette before getting home. It's fair fucked how one can be so addicted to their substance of choice.

The cop on the right in the picture looks like he is fourteen.

You are so right about cigarette smokers just cutting other necessities out of their lives in order to continue smoking. At least in the states if you want to quit you can call an eight hundred number and they will send you either patches, nicotine gum, or lozenges as well as a pamphlet with information to help you quit. They actually are taking a stab at helping people. The states cigarette prices are generally linked to state taxes, so each state does differently with the monies earned from taxation.