• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Cigarettes proven to be uncontrollable.

vaginafruit

Greenlighter
Hello, I'm a new member to Bluelight and I've been searching for a good thread on cigarettes with no luck thus far. As a bit of background, I've meddled with a bit of everything and have always been able to drop it. Heroin proved hard after the few times I did it (dreams, cravings whenever I felt down) but I was able to drop it. Cigarettes won't back down though. The dreams, cravings, the habit, everything about them drags me back. Is there any links of studies done on cigarettes that aren't biased, because I want to look into this more.

Cigarettes are a bitch to quit. My dad smokes a very high amount- I can't even guess the number but it's bad. I don't have any links to guide you, sorry. Have you ever tried vaping? I know a couple people who were able to quit cigarettes by switching over.

It depends on the person. I smoked for a couple years straight and decided it was stupid, terrible for my body, and a waste of money. Then quit cold turkey. Haven't smoked a cig since.

It's not proven. If you really want to quit you can. The proof is the number of people that have quit after smoking for years.

I vaped for awhile, it tastes great but couldn't ever compare to a cigarette. So when I ran out of juice or killed the battery I'd run back to my beloved. I obviously know cigarettes can be quit, I just want information regarding the addiction potential more. I wonder if other opiate users have the same problem.

I know, cigarettes are the devil. I went to a GHB addiction, a opiate addiction (pods) and a ketamine addiction. I I stopped them all at some point and it was not pretty but doable. I never touched GHB and ketamine again. I did with pods however. Cigarettes are a different beast somehow. It is not even so hard to stop temporally, but to stop forever that is the hard part.

Personally I gave it up to stop with nicotine completely and I use snuff now. I find it better than vaping for some reason. And it doesn't damage my lungs at least.

I believe one part of stopping with cigarettes or smoking, which makes it hard, is that it is so socially acceptable. Everytime you are with friends who smoke and they are drunk, they will try to push it on you. And somehow they feel really good on opiates. I sometimes think they make quitting opiates also more difficult. Everytime I do a big dose of snuff, it reminds me somehow of having tea. And when you are on opiates, you are reminded of the good feel of nicotine. There is some connection there.

Impaired performance in a test of decision-making by opiate-dependent tobacco smokers said:
This study tested whether opiate dependence, tobacco smoking, or their combination accompanied impaired performance on the gambling task (GT), which tests decision-making. GT previously detected impairments in patients with lesions of the ventromedial prefrontal cortex and in substance abusers. Four groups were matched on demographic characteristics and intelligence: methadone-maintained smokers (n=9) and nonsmokers (n=9), and control (i.e., not opiate-dependent) smokers (n=9) and nonsmokers (n=10). The Wisconsin Card Sorting Task (WCST) was administered to test whether differences in GT performance reflected generalized deficits in prefrontal cortical function. While there were no significant group differences on the WCST, groups differed significantly on GT performance (F(3,31)=2.95, P=0.048), controlling for depressive symptom ratings and childhood attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Methadone-maintained smokers (but not nonsmokers) performed more poorly than either of the two control groups (P=0.007 versus smokers; P=0.024 versus nonsmokers). In a planned analysis of methadone-maintained subjects, smokers scored more poorly on GT than nonsmokers (F(1,18)=5.64, P=0.032) and had more treatment failures (67% heroin use during the last 30 days versus 20%). The findings suggest that among opiate-dependent individuals, tobacco smoking may be a marker for a more severe form of substance abuse disorder, reflecting impaired decision-making, as modeled by GT.
It is a small study, but it seems that nicotine and opiates affects somehow how you evaluate risks and also deepen the severity of the usage of opiates. Another one linking nicotine to the opiate system:
Naloxone precipitates nicotine abstinence syndrome in the rat said:
Recently, a rodent model of nicotine abstinence syndrome has been developed based on continuous subcutaneous infusion of nicotine tartrate and observing the frequency of spontaneous behavioral signs following termination of infusion. The observed signs closely resemble those commonly seen in rat opiate abstinence syndrome, raising the possibility that there is an endogenous opioid component in nicotine dependence. The present study demonstrates that the opiate antagonist naloxone can precipitate an abstinence syndrome in nicotine-dependent rats. Fourteen rats were infused for 7 days with 9 mg/kg/day nicotine tartrate in saline via an Alzet osmotic minipump. Fourteen rats were sham-operated and remained nicotine-naive. Half of each group received 4.5 mg/kg naloxone SC immediately before a “blind” 15-min observation, while the other half received saline alone. ANOVA revealed significant nicotine infusion, naloxone injection and interaction effects. Post-hoc analysis showed that the nicotine-infused rats injected with naloxone had significantly more signs than all other groups

I am just a physicist, not done pharmacology or something. So I cannot answer if they are biased. But a quick scroll on google scholar shows there are intimate connections between nicotine and the opiate system.

Last edited:
im also struggeling smoking drum tobacco up to 40 per day i just cant stop so i understand guys

I've personally had much luck with vaping ... you have to want to switch over bad enough though ... i am an opiate user too so I didnt wanna cut out nicotine as a whole and I can still get my nicotine and enjoy it with opies while saving a fuck load of money by making my own e juice which is actually easier than you would think .. you can spend 30 bucks in materials and be able to vape for like half a year. I think its the best choice if you still want to pretty much be "smoking" and still getting your dose of nicotine.