• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News Church, nonprofit with zero track record of providing drug treatment awarded $10 mil from state to combat opioid crisis

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member

Church, nonprofit with zero track record of providing drug treatment awarded $10 mil from state to combat opioid crisis​

Ali Ingersoll
WRAL
10 Jan 2022

Last year marked the deadliest year in the country for opioid-related overdoses after more than 100,000 Americans died.

North Carolina lawmakers have allocated more than $16 million in funding to combat the opioid crisis in the state.

A significant portion of the money went to one location - a nonprofit organization called Hope Alive. The state allocated $10 million, over two years, for a new treatment center in Robeson County. The allocation comes despite Hope Alive being a relatively young organization without any track record of providing drug treatment.

Read the full story here.

Are you fucking kidding me!??!!

They really think this solves anything?!??

Legalize diacetylmorphine & the opiates/opioids below or equal to it. And let adults make their own decisions.
That's the only way.

Drugs are never going to disappear and keeping them illegal will only continue to make them stronger & more unsafe.

If this is where their priorities are at, then I have little hope for us in the "Land Of The Free".

Sounds more like a money laundering scheme.

Why do they want to make in-patient treatment such a big part of 'treatment'? If I were an addict (who wanted to be treated lol) the most I'd be willing to do (or afford for that matter...) is go to the clinic daily for methadone, just because it's soooo much better than buprenorphine, both for pleasure and pain. And even that... the thought of waiting in a clinic each morning for my state mandated drug dose? Man... sure feels like we're living out A Scanner Darkly.

Why do they want to make in-patient treatment such a big part of 'treatment'? If I were an addict (who wanted to be treated lol) the most I'd be willing to do (or afford for that matter...) is go to the clinic daily for methadone, just because it's soooo much better than buprenorphine, both for pleasure and pain. And even that... the thought of waiting in a clinic each morning for my state mandated drug dose? Man... sure feels like we're living out A Scanner Darkly.
This is the only thing keeping me from switching to methadone.

Even that is asking too much, especially for people with little to no transportation or who do not live near a clinic.

More prohibition is not what we need. We all need to keep telling these fucks to keep their hands off our bodies & what we decide to put in them. It's so frustrating.

Methadone is definitely more enjoyable (and probably squashes "cravings" more effectively) than buprenorphine

Seems like you're more "committed" when you're on methadone, though...bupe ain't easy to get off of either long-term but methadone dependency has always just seemed next-level to me

Once you're on bupe long enough, you can pretty much feel it that you're in an "in between" state of withdrawal and partial agonism.

Ends up just making me tired and craving better drugs anyway.

It certainly has it's usefulness, but we need different opioids for maintenance. Preferably ones that eliminate cravings that you don't need to sign your soul over to a clinic for.

Unfortunately there seems to be a moral panic of sorts that using full mu opioid agonists as maintenance is ‘condoning drug use’.

In my view, the medical field has been trying very hard to get away from any drug with pleasurable effects. Hence, the methadone and bupre. SSRIs are commonly first line for anxiety nowadays, and getting a benzo script is tremendously difficult. SSRIs are also sometimes being used first line for ADHD by some doctors instead of the traditional stimulants.

Even for acute pain patients they will use IV NSAIDS. Sickle cell patients in particular (who are often black) seem to be denied opioid medication moreso than their white counterparts.

Whole lotta things wrong with psychoactive drug prescribing in today’s world

Unfortunately there seems to be a moral panic of sorts that using full mu opioid agonists as maintenance is ‘condoning drug use’.

In my view, the medical field has been trying very hard to get away from any drug with pleasurable effects. Hence, the methadone and bupre. SSRIs are commonly first line for anxiety nowadays, and getting a benzo script is tremendously difficult. SSRIs are also sometimes being used first line for ADHD by some doctors instead of the traditional stimulants.

Even for acute pain patients they will use IV NSAIDS. Sickle cell patients in particular (who are often black) seem to be denied opioid medication moreso than their white counterparts.

My sister was given Effexor for pain recently. -_-

And my therapists son broke his finger recently and they refused to give him any pain meds for it.

I couldn't agree with you more. God forbid citizens actually feel good or have the terrible side effect of "well being",
Can't have that!

However, drinking yourself to death is still a celebrated past time.

And my therapists son broke his finger recently and they refused to give him any pain meds for it.

I couldn't agree with you more. God forbid citizens actually feel good or have the terrible side effect of "well being",
Can't have that!

IIRC venlafaxine (Effexor) is sometimes used for neuropathic pain in diabetes. Wouldn’t be surprised if they may be using it for other pain indications too nowadays. Definitely not ideal imo.

Relatedly, I was questioned by my primary care doc when I mentioned that I enjoy the mild sedation my mirtazipine provides each night. God forbid my antidepressant feel good!

I never understood how the way they handle methadone maintenance is supposed to be helpful. Isn't the whole point of getting clean supposed to be so your life doesn't revolve around drugs which gets defeated when you have to take a bus to some bad part of town at some odd hour.

They don't actually give a fuck about people being dependent or addicted or sick.

Just as long as you're addicted/dependent on THEIR non-feelings-of-well-being causing frankenstein drugs that they can make profit off of.

The restrictions on methadone are like that abusive partner that feels defeated but then tries to cling onto any power or control they have left.

"People are noticing that anyone other than monsters can be opioid addicts, we better provide some treatment, but only if we can control a part of your life" - Typical government behavior.

What really worries me is their non-stop crappy research into finding 'pain relief' alternatives that cause no euphoria or feelings of well being at all.
One day, drugs that make you feel good will be a thing of the past. They DO NOT want people to feel good. Feeling good means needing less of their drugs.

I know when I'm already feeling good, I don't need to reach for a bottle of alcohol or for an antidepressant, that's for sure.

Once went to some speech this doctor was giving about alternatives to pain meds. He went on about how they are addictive and make you feel out of it which is true but then actually suggested gabapentin and tramadol as good alternatives. Kinda ironic since at that very moment I was going through severe withdrawals from tapering down on my tramadol and gabbapentin too fast even though I was still keeping my hydrocodone dose the same.

My quality of life made a significant improvement when my doctor replaced my tramadol with morphine and I lowered my gabbapentin dose.

Total removal from triggers and real life does not prepare you for the real world. Brain washing and reprogramming with a religion/made up fake foundation is so pathetically shaky that one use and the facade crumbles to dust.

Now they are giving 10 million to their voodoo based backers?

Britt also wasn’t aware of Barnes’ criminal history. WRAL found records from Virginia between 1992 to 2004 that show Barnes pleaded guilty to at least seven counts of embezzlement, at least two of which were from car dealerships. He served time for his convictions.

“I had very little dealings with Ron Barnes so no, I was not aware of that,” Britt said.
Britt says he isn’t concerned about the pastor overseeing these funds.

“Statistics show, anybody who has not committed in the last 10 years is not as likely to commit as anyone who ever has never committed before in their life,” said Britt, who, in addition to being an elected official, runs his own law firm.

lol. and fuck Seroquel and the demented anti-hedonists who poison folk with it. One shrink tried to get me to replace cannabis smoking with it. Admittedly seroquel works better for sleep, but I could feel it eating my liver.. Good to bump into other folk that have seen this demented bs.

They don't actually give a fuck about people being dependent or addicted or sick.

Just as long as you're addicted/dependent on THEIR non-feelings-of-well-being causing frankenstein drugs that they can make profit off of.

The restrictions on methadone are like that abusive partner that feels defeated but then tries to cling onto any power or control they have left.

"People are noticing that anyone other than monsters can be opioid addicts, we better provide some treatment, but only if we can control a part of your life" - Typical government behavior.

What really worries me is their non-stop crappy research into finding 'pain relief' alternatives that cause no euphoria or feelings of well being at all.
One day, drugs that make you feel good will be a thing of the past. They DO NOT want people to feel good. Feeling good means needing less of their drugs.

I know when I'm already feeling good, I don't need to reach for a bottle of alcohol or for an antidepressant, that's for sure.

Can't have that!

effexor!! my fukkn gods

lol. and fuck Seroquel and the demented anti-hedonists who poison folk with it. One shrink tried to get me to replace cannabis smoking with it. Admittedly seroquel works better for sleep, but I could feel it eating my liver.. Good to bump into other folk that have seen this demented bs.
Who cares about liver that shit make you fat

Total hip joint and total knee joint replacements are being treated post with IV Tylenol and gabapentin. Sickle cell patients are offered the same. People are suffering needlessly.