• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Chronic (therapeutic) benzo use vs chronic Alcohol use

Any long term use of a mind altering substance causes long term changes. Particularly as we age our bodies become more fragile. A huge mistake that young people make is to think that their invincibility will last forever.
Theres a lot of research regarding alcohol abuse. So much that it’s easy to pick any combination of use/time/age and know the probable outcome. The Benzo research has been done but the specific long term effects to an elderly person’s mind after decades of heavy abuse are not as cut and dried as it seems.
However, there is no question that heavy Benzo abuse for years does permanently alter the chemistry of one’s brain. Sort of like a smoker having wrinkled skin even if they quit. In my opinion it is more dangerous than alcohol, specifically at low doses. I have used both at different times in my life and for me, benzos are much scarier and more dangerous than alcohol.
Hold on now. I said long term use causes long term changes. That’s not saying those changes MUST be bad. Plenty of people use drugs to help alter their brain chemistry for the better.
I only meant to point out that it would be naive to think that years of using any drug won’t cause permanent changes, and if we’re talking about a normal person using drugs to get high then most likely those changes would be negative. Hopefully for a person who is prescribed medication to combat an ‘out of balance’ situation, those changes will be permanently for the better. However there are enough medical examples of benzos leaving users with at least mild/occasional withdrawal symptoms for decades even when prescribed.
Alcohol can be a real bitch. If anything, you can do permanent damage to almost every organ in your body except your brain through long term moderate use. And of course heavy drinking can lead to a really nasty end. Most people agree that alcohol withdrawal is one of the worst.

To add to my previous point:

I dont believe that Alcohol could or should be prohibited again. I do think that we as a society are being fucked over in terms of the narrative presented.

I was raised that drugs are not to be used, with a little quip at the end. "Oh by the way, Alcohol is a drug" but it is implied that it has a special status like Hong Kong.

I know they dont offer you a crack hit after a shift at a restaurant. You dont meet up with a date over candlelit lines of Heroin at your favorite bistro. How often does someone say "an Alcoholic? Come on have just one it's not a big deal bro!"

Vs.

A heroin addicts immediate people are already trying to stop him from using dope before the thought has ever crossed their mind.

I dont believe that Alcohol could or should be prohibited again. I do think that we as a society are being fucked over in terms of the narrative presented.

I was raised that drugs are not to be used, with a little quip at the end. "Oh by the way, Alcohol is a drug" but it is implied that it has a special status like Hong Kong.

I know they dont offer you a crack hit after a shift at a restaurant. You dont meet up with a date over candlelit lines of Heroin at your favorite bistro. How often does someone say "an Alcoholic? Come on have just one it's not a big deal bro!"

Vs.

A heroin addicts immediate people are already trying to stop him from using dope before the thought has ever crossed their mind.

I agree, alcohol shouldn't ever be banned. Not because of the health consequences though. It is too valuable of a resource in everyday life. To ban ethanol would be disaterous for many companies who use it in everyday products such as mouthwash and extracts for food products. New solvents would have to be used in place of alcohol for many products and therefore millions of dollars would be spent finding new formulations of x product that are both safe and effective for consumers.

in a perfect world where you had infinite access to both. I would take 2mg of klonopin over drinking every night. Even after the hell benzos have put me through (year 4 TAPERING), and yea I major overdid it. That woulda been alcohol I woulda been in a casket the first couple days. Obviously prohibition doesn't work and who's to say if you wanna be a shitfaced alcoholic to forget your harsh at life (that I may not even be able to fathom) than let them; even if there overprivileged spoiled folk who think drinking is the high road and drugs are bad. I have had to kick so many drunks out, recommend hospitalization. With benzo users they just pass out and wake up at your house lookin at you sketchy. One vote benzos. (obviously you shouldn't use any drug everyday)

tolerance develops to the anxiolytic effects.

Everyone says this, but I still get enough anxiety relief from the 1.5mgs of Klonopin I was put on 15 years ago.

Klonopin is one of the benzos which can continue to work for many many years at the same dose, and I think sometimes perhaps even a lifetime, though I really hope I am not on it for life and definitely do not want to be.

tolerance develops to the anxiolytic effects.
I opened the thread with studies showing it actually doesn't, the GABA A receptor in this case either never changes regulation or it's change is so short lived you recover anxiolytic efficacy rapidly. Tolerance develops to the hypnotic/sedative effects. Perhaps if you don't suffer from chronic anxiety to begin with then you will mistake the hypnotic effects for anxiolytic effects, causing you to feel them stop working. In fact, this was the exact hypothesis made in the study as to why those with GAD/Panic disorder showed long term response to benzos while others did not (possibly due to a doctor handing them to someone who doesn't truly need them to function).

Anecdotally, like @Mycophile I can attest that even going on three years I still can noticeably feel 0.5mg, and strongly feel 1mg. Even after on/off slides up to 1.5-2.5mg.

Vs.

Good point, I've always predicted that if ethanol was a synthesized pill it would be incredibly restricted. It's a drug, but all these cute little soda cans with bubbly flavors can warp your narrative.

Last edited:
Everyone says this, but I still get enough anxiety relief from the 1.5mgs of Klonopin I was put on 15 years ago.

Klonopin is one of the benzos which can continue to work for many many years at the same dose, and I think sometimes perhaps even a lifetime, though I really hope I am not on it for life and definitely do not want to be.

Yeah clonazepam seems special in this regard. I definitely build tolerance to the anxiolytic properties of diazepam and alprazolam, but not clonazepam. Even though I have a tolerance to its sedative effects and can't consciously "feel it" at the time, it still crushes anxiety as it works "in the background." Clonazepam is imo the best anxiolytic benzo with etizolam as a close second (especially for social anxiety).

Anyway to answer OP, chronic alcohol use is clearly worse for you. More socially acceptable maybe, but much worse for your health than benzos.

Alcohol is really a silent killer in my opinion. If I walk to the store to get smokes or whatever, I'll pass at least a dozen bums on the way. How many of them are sick from Alcohol withdrawal? Who knows. I pass people who are clearly shaking and in need of a drink. Around here though, the only think people will give any attention is the Heroin. Alcohol is, in reality a much greater drain on society and affects more people than Heroin or other drugs. Let's get real, Alcohol is probably the most physically harmful substance there is.

Scientifically proven facts.