• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids CHRONIC Shoulder Bursitis & Oxycodone :/

XoTillWeOverdose

Bluelighter
Hey friends, hope everyone is doing well. I haven't been on in awhile but at this point I'm absolutely desperate for anyone who can provide me with answers or who has gone through similar issues.

As someone with back, spine, and hip issues, I go to pain management every month and am prescribed ibuprofen, gabapentin, and oxycodone. For the past month and a half, I've had shoulder bursitis but as of the last 4 days, it has become incredibly painful. I have iced the area for hours at a time, taken ibuprofen 800mg a few times a day, and am now having to take my oxycodone that is meant for my other pain. Also I've noticed my oxycodone isn't really touching the shoulder bursitis pain at all. I'm suprised that percocet is now not helping. I am going to urgent care tomorrow so I can hopefully get xrays or even an MRI asap, but is there anything else I can do? Does anyone know if there is a non-opioid like medication I can take (similar to gabapentin in which it's not "controlled")? If it is proven that I have shoulder bursitis, would my insurance allow me to get another narcotic prescription or increase the amount of my oxycodone? This is MISERABLE and hurts more than my hip replacement surgery that I recently had.

Also before anyone goes there, I am not asking how to score additional controlled medications. Rather I'm wondering what can be done at this stage for my bursitis and was throwing out options.

Thank you for reading my essay and I genuinely appreciate any and all help you can give me. Take care, everyone. Sending my best to all of you.

I should add, I have a HIGH pain tolerance. Like we're talking so high that when my ovarian cyst ruptured, my ER doctor told me that in over 15 years of practice, she had never seen someone handle that kind of pain as calmly as I did. I also walked on my hip femur bone that was no longer inside of my pelvis and was only holding on by a tendon and was FINE. So when I say my pain is unbearable, I mean it is unbearable.

As the pain is most likely caused by inflammation NSAIDs like ibuprofen, diclovenac, COX-2-inhibitors and even paracetamol should work, possibly even better than opioids as they work right where the pain starts. Other than that a local corticosteroid injection might help.