• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Chronic pain patient - trying to wean down

kajoeyla

Greenlighter
Hello all,

I’ve been lurking here for a VERY long time. Around 20 years. I’m 40 and have been in chronic pain for about 25 years.

I have psoriatic arthritis, Ankylosing spondylitis, Crohn’s disease and Chiari malformation Type 1. I also believe I have EDS. The first three cause much pain in my joints throughout my body.

The Chiari gives me terrible cerebrospinal fluid pressure headaches. The back of my brain sags down into the back of my skull and blocks the fluid from moving behind the back of my brain and so the pressure builds up. It’s been documented on CINE MRI.

Ive been going to pain management for about 10 years. My dose has been all over the place during that time. It started small and ended up VERY high. I inadvertently stumbled into a pill mill as my very first pain management “clinic”. I had legitimate testing to show I needed to be there. I paid with insurance and credit card to cover the deductible/co-pay. I didn’t know it was shady for a long while.

Eventually the dose was increased. And then again. I never paid more to the doc but I now think he thought he was doing me a favor.
At one point I was being prescribed 360 30mg oxycodone each day. At one point I was taking every one of them.

Several years ago, I developed a serious case of constipation that I couldn’t fix with my normal methods. So I ended up at an ER where they gave me a soap enema. It worked well and they gave me some clonidine as well.

I ended up sleeping for a couple days. The clonidine kind of knocked me out. And I ended up taking much less oxy than normal during that time.

It kind of reset my system and after that my tolerance was reset. I began taking much less each day and I started saving a lot of pills. I just saved and saved as I knew that some day the gravy train would run out and I’d need them.

That day finally came. My doc was raided by the feds. They shut him down saying he was to blame for a lady dying. Long story short, he was never indicted but I had to move on. He later committed suicide. It was Very sad.

I went to a new doctor. It was very hard to find someone who would take me knowing what had happened to my previous doctor. He immediately cut me way back on the prescribed dose. My previous doc had started the process when he got wind of an investigation. I had gone from 360 30mg per month to 240 30mg a month.

The new doctor changed it to 240 15mg a month. And we’ve worked it down to 165 15mg a month. This been over the course of the last 18 months.

But I never really cut back from my 6 30mg a day. Or more. And now my savings account has dwindled. I’m down to sbout 500 30mg pills. Down from about 4,000.

I’m taking one 15mg every 4 hours or so. It’s keeping the withdrawal away but just barely. My mind is racing. I’ve got chills. Runny nose. But I know it has to be done.

I do have some clonidine. But I’m scared to take it. Last time it seems like I got really low blood pressure and just slept for a couple days. And I have to work. Any other ideas?

Hey. Welcome to Bluelight. Just wanted to respond as I know you are scared and anxious. There are a lot of veteran oxy users in here that will come along and give you the support you need. Damn good thing you hoarded those pills because that's gonna be your way out. You already know how to taper and that is the golden ticket. With 400 blues on hand you are so much better off than so many others. What you need is a good taper plan with the remaining 400 and I know it won't be a walk in the park but it is surely doable. Do you smoke weed? Ever take any kratom? Those two things are pretty mild compared to oxy but it's the only two things I had access to when I said enough is enough and it has been over 2 years since I took a pharmaceutical opioid. Damn.....5000 spare oxy? unfreakinbelievable !! When I was using there wasn't anything called spares. Use those last 400 as wisely and sparigly as you possibly can. Good Luck !

Hey. Welcome to Bluelight. Just wanted to respond as I know you are scared and anxious. There are a lot of veteran oxy users in here that will come along and give you the support you need. Damn good thing you hoarded those pills because that's gonna be your way out. You already know how to taper and that is the golden ticket. With 400 blues on hand you are so much better off than so many others. What you need is a good taper plan with the remaining 400 and I know it won't be a walk in the park but it is surely doable. Do you smoke weed? Ever take any kratom? Those two things are pretty mild compared to oxy but it's the only two things I had access to when I said enough is enough and it has been over 2 years since I took a pharmaceutical opioid. Damn.....5000 spare oxy? unfreakinbelievable !! When I was using there wasn't anything called spares. Use those last 400 as wisely and sparigly as you possibly can. Good Luck !
Thank uiu so much for responding! Before I even read it I began to feel relaxed.

I forgot to mention that I also have 215 15mg oxycodone. I have 165 from the monthly refill in the middle of March. And sbout 50 left from last month. So I’m using those to taper and my goal is not to touch the blues.

It’s going easier than I thought it would. I started this 1 15mg pill every 4-5 hours on Saturday morning.

I wish I could smoke weed but my pain management drug tests about 3-4 times a year. And it’s still illegal in my state.

Yeah I know right. 4000+ spare 30mg pills. It was beautiful. I would get 360 a month and use about 120 a month. The rest got saved. For years I did this. And then two things happened. My supply got cut. And I started taking more. And I didn’t start reducing my intake when I should.

Any way. Thanks for your reassurance! And congrats on not using them!

My pleasure in replying to you and I am happy that I made you feel a little better. I see now that you are only taking 15 mgs a few times a day so about 45 mgs a day? That is fantastic. That is actually a very moderate dose for a chronic pain patient. Are you going to still be prescribed on a monthly basis and its just that you wanted to get your usage down to a moderate level ? I think i just mis-read your first post and thought you were trying to quit altogether. But now I see that you are just trying to decrease your usage. You got this my friend. You are doing a really good job and I'm glad that you aren't feeling too bad. Have a pleasant night.

Hi all. I made it down to my prescribed dose with relatively little problem. Several days of discomfort but it was much easier physically than I thought it would be.

unfortunately it was harder mentally than I remembered. I slipped for the last month and ended up using up the “extra” 15 mg pills I had. I still have the 30mgs that I saved from my old doc. But now I’m basically using the 15mgs as I get them. 165 each month.

I started back yesterday and today is already a little easier. Wish me luck.

This is not easy with chronic pain!! opiates can work, but are also dangerous as well. Try and stay on the tapper that you had been using. Work on Down not up! Good luck

This is not easy with chronic pain!! opiates can work, but are also dangerous as well. Try and stay on the tapper that you had been using. Work on Down not up! Good luck
Thanks. Last night was pretty rough. Lot of pain in my neck.
Today instead of taking a 15 when I woke I up tried half. So far so good on keeping withdrawal away. We’ll see how it works for pain.