• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Chloral hydrate and itching?

Limpet_Chicken

Bluelighter
While I've had it before, it was a long, long time ago, during my first forays into org.chem as a kid, so memory is somewhat dim, and never tried particularly high doses.

Anyhow, happened to come across 100g of analytical grade chloral hydrate, saw it on a certain well known auction site and grabbed it; not, surprisingly enough, intending for internal use, at least for the most part. My main use for chloral hydrate is for preparing something called Melzer's reagent, based on chloral hydrate, iodine and potassium (or sodium) iodide, used for testing fungal spore samples, as they give one of three reactions depending on the species one is dealing with (amyloid-spore mass turns a deep purplish black colour, like that of iodine and starch reacting; inamyloid-no reaction, or dextrinoid-a reddish ruddy brown coloration develops); the Melzer's test is a very frequent and widely used diagnostic test that can be vital for telling some species of wild mushrooms apart from similar looking species.

But, seeing as 100g is wwaaaaaaay more than I'll be able to make use of for Melzer's, since one only needs a tiny droplet applied to a scraping taken from a spore-print, so that means I've a fair bit spare. I don't plan on using too much or too often, as it isn't the healthiest thing for the liver, but for occasional use to deal with intractable insomnia.

Took 1g earlier packed into an extra-large gelcap, followed by another 1g, along with my usual morphine/oxy, the chloral hydrate put me in a nicely relaxed, warm-feeling, soporific state, but later, my scalp began to itch like crazy. Is chloral hydrate known for causing itching? because I don't think the opioids were responsible, I'm used to them and this was/is way out of the ordinary.

What's with all the chloral hydrate threads recently? Anyway itching is not a common side effect of chloral hydrate to my knowledge.

Last edited:
As for whats with all the CH threads recently, no idea.

But as for me, I have an non-drug use for chloral hydrate, namely for making Melzer's reagent, it's based on iodine, potassium (or sodium) iodide and chloral hydrate, and it's one of quite a number of chemical reagents used in the identification of fungi. I'm pretty much a mushroom-maniac,and if it isn't actually poisonous, I'll probably try it at least once, assuming I find some. I am and always have been, a wild mushroom gourmand, since about age 4, and along with visual identification, spore printing, examination of spores under the microscope, there are quite a few chemical reagents and mixtures of chemicals which can be applied either to mushroom tissue or to spore samples in order to observe whether or not a colour change takes place. Melzer's reagent is based on chloral hydrate and as I happen to have rather a large surplus of CH currently, having gotten a 100g lot on ebay, that's more than I could use for making Melzer's in a month of sundays, so I may as well use some if I can't sleep for love nor money. It's not as if, with 100g of the stuff I'm going to find myself with nothing to to make up enough Melzer's to last me the nest oh, five or six years or so.

Yeah can't really think why you'd develop a pruritic reaction unless you're mildly allergic to CH. I mean, formic acid (if, say, the CH is degraded) can cause itching and comes out in sweat, but you're ingesting it and it would be metabolised away.

It could be an allergic reaction to the chloral hydrate itself, in this case it'd be better to not take it again, or maybe due to an increase in morphine concentration, resulting in a higher histamine release than usual. Morphine is metabolized via UGT2B7 and I found one source stating that an UGT isozyme metabolizes trichloroethanol into trichloroethanol glucuronide, but I couldn't find which isozyme, so there may be some competitive inhibition

As for whats with all the CH threads recently, no idea.

But as for me, I have an non-drug use for chloral hydrate, namely for making Melzer's reagent, it's based on iodine, potassium (or sodium) iodide and chloral hydrate, and it's one of quite a number of chemical reagents used in the identification of fungi. I'm pretty much a mushroom-maniac,and if it isn't actually poisonous, I'll probably try it at least once, assuming I find some. I am and always have been, a wild mushroom gourmand, since about age 4, and along with visual identification, spore printing, examination of spores under the microscope, there are quite a few chemical reagents and mixtures of chemicals which can be applied either to mushroom tissue or to spore samples in order to observe whether or not a colour change takes place. Melzer's reagent is based on chloral hydrate and as I happen to have rather a large surplus of CH currently, having gotten a 100g lot on well known auction site, that's more than I could use for making Melzer's in a month of sundays, so I may as well use some if I can't sleep for love nor money. It's not as if, with 100g of the stuff I'm going to find myself with nothing to to make up enough Melzer's to last me the nest oh, five or six years or so.

So have you experimented with amanita muscaria mushrooms?

itching in the scalp itself reflects either a scalp-specific site inflammation, such as some of the types of fungal populations that lead to dandruff, or else something systemic that is causing you to react in a place where microinflammation has mechanisms in place already (in the case of men at least, whose scalps tend to respond more sensitively to pro-inflammatory signalling than women on average; this sort of stuff is being discussed heavily in current research on hair loss and male pattern baldness). yes, that would be very bad to have an allergic reaction to the CH itself. is it rare for your scalp to ever itch - like was this feel very unusual?