• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Chinese "Night Eagle" Drug

..BUT I can't honestly see a way around the lack of sleep. Germany ran extensive trials with just 3mg of methamphetamine and concluded that it could extend endurance BUT you have to pay for it...
Actually these are previous assumptions on the effects of sleep deprivation but it is more complicated than that. See, some people with genetic mutations on certain circadian rhythms-regulating genes are behaviourally resistant to sleep deprivation.. Not only they naturally sleep much less time without any psychological or physiological consequence, but lack of sleep (sleep deprivation) doesn't affect their cognitive performance compared to wild-type control! In other words they dont PAY for the lack of sleep (or pay pennies where a normal standard 8.5h/day sleeping humans will have to PAY $$$! Cf:
A Novel BHLHE41 Variant is Associated with Short Sleep and Resistance to Sleep Deprivation in Humans SLEEP, Vol. 37, No. 8, 2014

The most convincing evidence of the role of clock genes in determining sleep duration and the amount of sleep recovery following deprivation (sleep homeostasis) is the demonstration that individuals with a mutation in exon 5 of BHLHE41 (class E basic helix-loop-helix protein 41), also known as DEC2, have short sleep duration. This mutation is at the amino acid position 384, with a missense mutation, where a proline is replaced by an arginine (c.1151C > G, p.Pro384Arg; MIM:612975). Knocking in this mutation of BHLHE41 into Drosophila or mice results in shorter sleep and less recovery sleep following sleep deprivation.
Blood-Gene Expression Reveals Reduced Circadian Rhythmicity in Individuals Resistant to Sleep Deprivation:

Study Objectives: To address whether changes in gene expression in blood cells with sleep loss are different in individuals resistant and sensitive to sleep deprivation.
Conclusions: Individual differences in behavioral effects of sleep deprivation are associated with differences in diurnal amplitude of gene expression for genes that show circadian rhythmicity.
Link:
DEC2 modulates orexin expression and regulates sleep www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1801693115

Abstract:...Sleep is essential for healthy aging, and most people need approximately 8–8-1/2 hours of sleep per night to feel good and to function optimally. We previously reported a proline-to-arginine mutation in DEC2 that leads to a life-long decrease in daily sleep need. We found that the expression of an important sleep-relevant gene, orexin, was increased in the DEC2 mutant mice..... This study represents the first step toward understanding the underlying molecular mechanism through which DEC2 modulates sleep.

There are bunch other studies similar to these (cf refs cited byabove): The question is: can we come up with a drug that mimics the mutations in these carriers??Conceivably I see no reason why not. It is not like there are no drugs that dont do that already. Take for example Tabernanthe iboga alkaloids like Ibogaine or Ibogamine: they are well known to induce insomnia for at least 72 hours after single dose and in some people for up to a week! (google Alper&Ibogaine&Sleep). Afaik it is NOT via dopaminergic stimulation like amphetamines (Ibogaine itself is a shitty dopaminergic! millimolar affinity!!). People who take Ibogaine not only report the lack of need to sleep for extended periods but resume normal sleep pattern without crashing or anything ! You simply do not feel the need to sleep and not because of brain stimulation. The drug is looong cleared from the body (T1/2 is only 4-6h). How iboga does that? I don't know..Is there any long-term pyschological consequences for the lack of sleep induced by ibogaine? I dont know. People who takes the drug seem to be doing fine as far as the lack of sleep is concerned. Problem is the drug is illegal in much of western countries schedule I in the US (ie no medical value whatsover) and therefore you be pressed hard to find any peer-review study looking at its eugeroic activity..anyway

@clubcard: "Last I read it was mesocarb derivatives the Chinese military were playing with. Eugeroics rather than stimulants.."

Interesting. It could be russian mesocarb stim or one of its derivatives the Chinese are bragging about. But I think they're looking at lots more drugs than mesocarb stims. Afaik mesocarb is just another DARI and there are tons of DARIs with totally different chemical structure.Like mazindol as mentioned above or even 3C-PEP, the single most potent & most selective DARI discovered by Andrew Matsumoto lab with around 10,000 the potency of cocaine at DAT!

But all these are basically stims acting by same dopaminergic mechanism to promote wakefulness among others effects.As for the chinese Night Eagle “go-pill”, imho I think it is probably plant alkaloids derived. Remember, the chinese have thousands of years of experience with traditional chinese medicine which they are now blending with modern chemistry techniques like isolating, purifying and testing new psychoactive substances NPS. I wont be surprised novel nootropic eugeroics or just plain stims with totally new chemical structures come out of phytochemicals.

Later I will post (possible) structure of the molecule which I think may be the Night-Eagle drug the Chinese are talking about (with 80% confidence!) but who knows since there is just no information about this compound.. anybody who come across anything on this drug, would appreciate the heads-up.. Happy Holidays to all NPD BLighter

Last edited:
NOBODY will be looking at a dopamine ligand. It's dopamine TRANSPORT that is important in almost all medicinal stimulants. Mesocarb IS significantly different. The class you cite for it's dopamine-affinity specifically BLOCKS stimulants. Affinity ≠ efficacy.

I agree that the Chinese do use and indeed guard some of their herbal medicines. On the other hand we have a VAST amount of data on sleep deprivation with and without chemical intervention. We have a circadian rhythm for a very good reason.

We could go 10,000 compounds but don't post unless you actually have the RIGHT one. I mentioned mesocarb because the UNODC saw a spike in Russian production in 2012-2013 and for the only time a single export destination of 18Kg. Guess which nation? You can guess, we can all guess, but they are a military exporter so of course they are going to make great claims. The veracity of such claims is dubious at best. Why announce it at all?