• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Chess tutoring question

polarthedog

Bluelighter
Hey guys, I am trying to become a grandmaster (ya I know, that’s like a decade or more of work). I love chess, and I play everyday anyway, I have for years.
I recently looked up ways to make money off chess skills, and on every of 5e things on the list was tutoring, people pay 10-50$ an hour for tutoring.
Now this is for the future, because right now I’m around a 1300 elo score, which is not expert level. I mean that’s not bad, but I don’t think people would wanna pay me for tutoring right now.

I wanted to know what score would I have to get before someone would want to pay me, let’s say 10$ an hour since that’s the minimum. 1600? 1800? Do you need to be a grandmaster?

I would really like to do that someday, and I’m just wondering how far off that would probably be. It took me about a year to get my score up 350 points from 950 to 1300. I know that going up the next 350 points will take longer since the elo score is kinda like a sliding scale, the higher you go, the bigger the difference each additional point means In your skill level, or atleast, I think that’s how it goes. At any rate, right now I would have about a 0.015% chance of beating someone with a 2500 elo, which is the minimum elo I think to be considered a gm. So I’m pretty damn far off. I have a good head on my shoulders though, and I’m pretty consistent about practicing. I figure it’s pretty achievable, i just have to want it enough and for long enough.

But ya. It would be cool if I couldn’t get customers at a 1600 if I charged low enough, I mean there’s kids who’s parents want them to learn who have never played before, how Good would you have be to tutor a beginner? I’ve taught lots of people to play well who were originally beginners. I mean, I can’t make them better than I am, but a 1600 rating IS NOT low, and that takes years of work. They wouldn’t outgrow my rating for a long ass time.

What do you guys think? Please don’t step on my dreams, I am serious about this, and I’m not trolling. I’m very passionate about playing chess and I love teaching people. Plus I have trouble holding down regular jobs, playing cHess doesn’t feel like work to me, it would be great if I could get paid to play.

I’d probably want at least 1800-2000.
I don’t have an elo right now but would probably be between 1100 and 1300 based on the levels of players and bots that I’ve beaten.

Well, you have a lot of competition because there isn't much money in chess, so quite a lot of titled players offer coaching.

Realistically I would say you'd have to be at least an FM (FIDE master) or NM (national master) to get any customers, which is around 2000-2200 elo.

I've seen people with lower rating on Fiverr offering coaching, but probably a lot of competition in there as well.

It's one of those things where demand is relatively low compared to supply.

Also it's important to note I'm talking about real life tournament rating. Online chess ratings are generally inflated by 150-300 points over what your OTB tournament rating might be.

Well, you have a lot of competition because there isn't much money in chess, so quite a lot of titled players offer coaching.

Realistically I would say you'd have to be at least an FM (FIDE master) or NM (national master) to get any customers, which is around 2000-2200 elo.

I've seen people with lower rating on Fiverr offering coaching, but probably a lot of competition in there as well.

It's one of those things where demand is relatively low compared to supply.

Also it's important to note I'm talking about real life tournament rating. Online chess ratings are generally inflated by 150-300 points over what your OTB tournament rating might be.
Thanks man. I guess thats probably another 3-5 years off for me at this rate

Hey man did you know their are only like 1700 something titled grandmasters in the world? I thought there would be a LOT more. Why are there’s so little? Is chess just not popular enough?

Also, if the demand is so low, how cheap can I get tutoring for from someone over 1800? Cause I’ve been wanting to try that out, maybe I would get better quicker. I really need help working on endgames, people keep getting me in checkmate mid game when I still have several pieces, and I have a lot of trouble doing that, or defending from it. I usually just take all the opponents pieces, then checkmate them when it’s easy :/

Last edited:
I’d probably want at least 1800-2000.
I don’t have an elo right now but would probably be between 1100 and 1300 based on the levels of players and bots that I’ve beaten.
How much do you think you would pay if you were to hire someone of that rating?

Thanks man. I guess thats probably another 3-5 years off for me at this rate

Hey man did you know their are only like 1700 something titled grandmasters in the world? I thought there would be a LOT more. Why are there’s so little? Is chess just not popular enough?
Becoming a GM is more difficult than you think. Beyond having a genius ability most players never reach, you have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars traveling to GM level tournaments all over the world (and then win games vs GMs). It's expensive, time consuming, and most people aren't that good anyways.

I'm not sure about tutoring prices, I haven't looked at it since I was a kid.

There's a lot of things you can do to improve before coaching. Puzzles, tactics, videos, etc. Bunch of free stuff on chess.com. To me it sounds like you still need to work on fundamentals a bit more before finding a coach.

When I was a kid I mostly learned from books, some coaching, and playing tournaments.

I really need help working on endgames, people keep getting me in checkmate mid game when I still have several pieces, and I have a lot of trouble doing that, or defending from it. I usually just take all the opponents pieces, then checkmate them when it’s easy :/
This means you need to work on your middle game and check mating tactics, not endgame.

Last edited:
Becoming a GM is more difficult than you think. Beyond having a genius ability most players never reach, you have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars traveling to GM level tournaments all over the world. It's expensive, time consuming, and most people aren't that good anyways.

I'm not sure about tutoring prices, I haven't looked at it since I was a kid.

There's a lot of things you can do to improve before coaching. Puzzles, tactics, videos, etc. Bunch of free stuff on chess.com. To me it sounds like you still need to work on fundamentals a bit more before finding a coach.

When I was a kid I mostly learned from books, some coaching, and playing tournaments.
Ya, I looked up all the requirements, and the average number of years it takes for someone to become one who is dedicated and has high natural ability.

I’m not trying to brag, I hope I don’t come off like that, but my iq is somewhere above 140, I know that doesn’t help every area in life, but for something like chess, I’m pretty sure it has made a huge difference. Of course, that alone is not enough, I have to commit to playing between 4-20 hours a week for like a decade, and then there’s all that shit with meeting the norms, and of course travel expenses. I have people that would buy me a ticket if I actually made it that far, I’m sure my dad would LOVE to be able to brag about that To people. Especially since I’ve done a lot to disappoint them over the years.

I slowed myself down a lot in the past years by not playing against people who are better than me every single game, I wasted too much time playing against people around my level. Then I played against tough players in prison the whole time, and I noticed how quickly I started getting better

How much do you think you would pay if you were to hire someone of that rating?
I personally wouldn't pay someone to tutor me unless they had a rating of 1800 or more. My grandmother was a master. At one point, her rating was over 2000.

Also, I do think chess isn't as popular, especially in the US. Idk about other countries. I've been playing since I could talk. I love the game. I'm on chess.com often. If anyone wants to play, I'm usually up for is. I think me and @Snafu in the Void tried to arrange a game a few times, but we didn't play.

I personally wouldn't pay someone to tutor me unless they had a rating of 1800 or more. My grandmother was a master. At one point, her rating was over 2000.

Also, I do think chess isn't as popular, especially in the US. Idk about other countries. I've been playing since I could talk. I love the game. I'm on chess.com often. If anyone wants to play, I'm usually up for is. I think me and @Snafu in the Void tried to arrange a game a few times, but we didn't play.
I do think chess is less proportionally popular in the US vs EU, but it's pretty awesome to see that chess has made a resurgence here with kids due to twitch.tv. I think it's more popular than ever now.

I don't remember if we tried to set up a game. I blame alcohol and the holes in my brain, was probably uber drunk.

Add me on chess.com SnafuInTheVoid

I'm down to play later tonight

I slowed myself down a lot in the past years by not playing against people who are better than me every single game, I wasted too much time playing against people around my level. Then I played against tough players in prison the whole time, and I noticed how quickly I started getting better
Yeah one of the reasons I became so good was because I happened to go to a school with one of the best chess clubs in the whole US. I was part of that team, we got 1st place in the national championship. I was ranked 38th in the nation for <14 year olds, and I was only the 4th best player on our team. We were unstoppable. I continued becoming a much stronger player for another year... then heroin ended my career.

It's important to play against stronger opponents, but studying is also very important. You want about 50:50 of both.

Coaching is most valuable after you already have a strong understanding of all parts of the game. An opening repertoire, strong tactics (middlegame), and solid endgame principals. Without that you may not absorb what a 2000+ coach has to teach.

Last edited:
I do think chess is less proportionally popular in the US vs EU, but it's pretty awesome to see that chess has made a resurgence here with kids due to twitch.tv. I think it's more popular than ever now.

I don't remember if we tried to set up a game. I blame alcohol and the holes in my brain, was probably uber drunk.

Add me on chess.com SnafuInTheVoid

I'm down to play later tonight
I added you on Chess.com already when we were going to play a game. We even started a game once I think, but you said you were too drunk lol.
I'm down to play later. I work till 8pm (EST). What time friend?

Coaching is most valuable after you already have a strong understanding of all parts of the game. An opening repertoire, strong tactics (middlegame), and solid endgame principals. Without that you may not absorb what a 2000+ coach has to teach.
Exactly. It's like math...you have to know how to add and subtract before someone can teach you linear algebra.

and btw, my endgame is my weakness. I lose patience and make hasty moves.

and btw, my endgame is my weakness. I lose patience and make hasty moves.
Mine is middle game. I don't think I've ever lost any serious OTB game if I'm going into the end +1. I always over or under calculate the middle game.

I'm down to play if I'm still awake.

Last edited:
Yeah one of the reasons I became so good was because I happened to go to a school with one of the best chess clubs in the whole US. I was part of that team, we got 1st place in the national championship. I was ranked 38th in the nation for <14 year olds, and I was only the 4th best player on our team. We were unstoppable. I continued becoming a much stronger player for another year... then heroin ended my career.

It's important to play against stronger opponents, but studying is also very important. You want about 50:50 of both.

Huh, I didn’t realize studying the books was THAT important, I thought mainly experience was what improved a player. What would you recommend studying? I can go to the library. Remember, at most, I work 20 hours a week, eventually I’ll be back on SSI, so I have PLENTY of free time. So if you recommend some books, I WILL atleast read part of them to give em a chance. Tbh, your the only other person I know who has ever been obsessed with the game like I am. so I could definitely use some advice/constructive criticism.

Tbh there is 0% chance you become a grandmaster now.
With 1300 you're no prodigy and even then it's extremely tough. Most of the pattern matching is learnt when you're a kid, it can't be all integrated if you start playing so late.

Maybe fide master or national master is possible with hard hard work.

I'd just play for fun, and join a club where you can play classical chess regularly.

Apart from that you need to play tons, and work on the fundamentals which are endgames, pawn structures and tactical patterns

It's also Fide rating that matters when teaching, I know fuck all about chess but I still have a 2000+ blitz rating on lichess.

I think once you're a steady 1800-1900 and you work on tutoring skills people might come to you.
What you need for tutoring is deep chess understanding, online blitzers and rapid players have pretty bad understanding, poor position evaluation, overfocus on tactics and only basic knowledge about pawn structures. Let's not even talk about the endgames =D

So yeah, play classical and join a club, maybe it's fun too.

Huh, I didn’t realize studying the books was THAT important, I thought mainly experience was what improved a player. What would you recommend studying? I can go to the library. Remember, at most, I work 20 hours a week, eventually I’ll be back on SSI, so I have PLENTY of free time. So if you recommend some books, I WILL atleast read part of them to give em a chance. Tbh, your the only other person I know who has ever been obsessed with the game like I am. so I could definitely use some advice/constructive criticism.
Books are kinda an outdated format because you can just get all that online now. They're still valid, you just really need a physical board to copy the moves from the book to memorize them.

But you need 3 things to study.

A book/resource to learn openings, you want to have a response to everything. Then practice tactics, tactics, tactics, which improves your middlegame. Then endgame themes are also important to learn.

Tbh there is 0% chance you become a grandmaster now.
With 1300 you're no prodigy and even then it's extremely tough. Most of the pattern matching is learnt when you're a kid, it can't be all integrated if you start playing so late.

Maybe fide master or national master is possible with hard hard work.
Didn't wanna say it, but this is true.

It's similar to learning a new language as an adult. Extremely difficult, slow, and you'll almost certainly never speak perfectly... but a 7 year old kid can learn 5 languages at the same time and be fluent.

Chess is 98% pattern recognition and memory, similar to language syntax and vocabulary.

If you wanna understand how grandmasters think about chess (you'll be surprised, I was too), watch Svidler chess analysis on YT.

Some of the best content on the site, games are great and he's a genius at analyzing without dumbing it down for anyone.
I miss those, nowadays it's all quite superficial or just reading out computer lines