• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

šŸ³ Cooking šŸ³ Cheap Yet Healthy Food Options

Can I have a stupid question? Every time I talk with Americans, they act really surprised that in central Europe/balkan countries we still eat many types organs, and you can basically buy liver in every bigger shop selling meat (chicken/pig heart, brain, stomach etc. is maybe a bit harder to find). Is it only a regional thing, or organ meats are actually not really popular in America?
I see livers pretty commonly at grocery stores, occasionally stomach in Latino areas. For rare stuff like sweetbreads or kidneys (or caul fat) you need to go to a butcher shop.

I typically get organ meats either at Latino butcher shops or Halal butcher shops (as the hipster butcher shops that have good selections tend to be hella pricey).

You wouldnā€™t happen to have that still? :) I know the pricing will probably be different but could give a good idea which foods are relatively the cheapest.

-GC

I did a search on this Macbook and actually found an old document in a format that won't open as a spreadsheet. I did manage to pull this bit out of it though it's hella messy...

NB: p = pence (UK equivalent of cents - I think 1p = 1.5c or something like that).

Cost of food per gram of protein: Cost/100g(ml) Protein/100g(ml)

Chicken Breast 2.14p 45p 21g
Turkey Breast 2.25p 45p 20g
Corned Beef 0.96p 23p 24g
Minced Beef 2.00p 40p 20g
Tuna Can 1.00p 23p 23g
Cottage Cheese 1.28p 16.7p 13g
Peanuts 0.80p 20p 25g
Cashews 5.00p 70p 14g
Almonds 5.14p 108p 21g
Pistachios 3.10p 65p 21g
Oats 0.36p 4p 11g
Cheese (cheddar) 1.42p 35.4p 25g
Whey Protein 0.51p 38p 75g
Casein 1.00p 90p 90g
Milk (full fat) 1.29p 4.4p 3.4g
Wafer Ham (97% pork) 2.50p 50p 20g
Turkey Thigh 1.38p 26p 19g (gross: 800g, 230g bone and fat = 570g net meat)
Turkey Drumstick 1.13p 22p 19g (gross: 650g, 200g bone and fat = 450g net meat)
Eggs (cage) 1.2p 15p 12.5
Bread (soya linseed) 0.88p 14p 15.9g
Bread (allinson) 1.33p 13p 9.8g
Canned Pink Salmon 0.96p 22p 23g

Iā€™ve been living on these meals for two months:

Whole Oats, Brown Sugar, Peanut butter, Banana

Raisin Bran or Whole Bran + Banana

Bag of flavored Rice ($1.25) + Chicken or Tuna ($2.15) + Wraps and Cheese (optional)

Bag of Alfredo noodles ($1.25) + Tuna or Chicken ($4.99)

Ramen noodles (no spice packet) + Chicken or Tuna

All decent meals, the bad part is this is essentially what you would eat in jail if you could afford canteen.

The Toast + Avocado + Boiled Egg is quite popular nowadays.

Iā€™ve been eating a lot of lentil curry (sometimes I add chickpeas as well). Itā€™s cheap, has a lot of fiber, low glycemic carbs and a decent amount of protein. Coconut milk tastes great but itā€™s not needed, I donā€™t really use it anymore because I prefer to limit saturated fats and replace them with monounsaturated.

Iā€™ve been living on these meals for two months:

Whole Oats, Brown Sugar, Peanut butter, Banana

Raisin Bran or Whole Bran + Banana

Bag of flavored Rice ($1.25) + Chicken or Tuna ($2.15) + Wraps and Cheese (optional)

Bag of Alfredo noodles ($1.25) + Tuna or Chicken ($4.99)

Ramen noodles (no spice packet) + Chicken or Tuna

All decent meals, the bad part is this is essentially what you would eat in jail if you could afford canteen.

The Toast + Avocado + Boiled Egg is quite popular nowadays.

Avocado toast with fried egg on top is my go-to most mornings. Iā€™ll eat 2-4 these days, thatā€™s usually 2-4 pieces of bread, 1/2 to 1 larger avocado and 2-4 eggs with spices. Fairly cheap and fills me up for the entire day until I get home.

-GC

2 scrambled eggs w/ veggies in the morning - that way you get the veggies you need everyday done in the morning and dont have to worry about it later

homemade hummus - very filling and you can eat it everyday for lunch

and pork is always cheap

so is pasta

Iā€™d be foraging more this year but itā€™s been so dry and Iā€™ve been so busy with work :(

Maybe one week this fall tho Iā€™ll try to forage 100% and see how it goes.. Iā€™ve been wanting to for awhile.

-GC

A while ago I asked ChatGPT this question:

Meal Plan

Breakfast:
- Oatmeal with sliced bananas and a scoop of whey protein powder
- Greek yogurt with sliced banana, a handful of granola, and a drizzle of honey
- Omelet with cheese, chopped eggplant, and diced potatoes

Lunch:
- Grilled chicken wrap with corn, beans, and cheese
- Tuna salad with mixed greens and a side of rice
- Salmon and vegetable stir-fry with a side of brown rice

Dinner:
- Baked chicken breast with roasted eggplant and a side of mashed potatoes
- Black bean and corn chili with a side of rice
- Grilled salmon with mixed vegetables and a side of quinoa

Snacks:
- Hard boiled eggs
- Cheese sticks
- Banana with peanut butter
- Tuna salad with whole grain crackers

Remember to incorporate all food groups and aim for a balanced diet. Feel free to modify the recipes to your liking and dietary preferences. Enjoy your meals!

To ensure you meet your daily nutritional requirements, you may want to consider adding some of the following to your meals:

1. Leafy greens: Add spinach, kale, or other leafy greens to your wraps or salads for a boost of vitamins A and C, as well as iron and calcium.

2. Vegetables: Add some steamed or roasted vegetables to your meals to increase your intake of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, and zucchini are all great options.

3. Fruits: Add some fresh or frozen fruit to your oatmeal or yogurt for extra vitamins and antioxidants.

4. Nuts and seeds: Sprinkle some nuts or seeds on your salads or oatmeal for healthy fats, protein, and fiber.

5. Whole grains: Choose whole-grain bread or brown rice to increase your fiber and B vitamin intake.

6. Healthy fats: Add some avocado or olive oil to your meals for healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.

7. Herbs and spices: Use herbs and spices to add flavor to your meals without adding extra salt or calories. Basil, oregano, cumin, and turmeric are all good options.

Remember to also stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day.
ā€¦

Also if anyone is unaware thereā€™s a popular subreddit r/eatcheapandhealthy

Half gallon of milk with whey protein powder that includes minerals/vitamins

Rice & beans. Make sure to cook the beans with plenty of onions and garlic (if liked). Add some diced bacon or cheap sausages to make it even more filling.

You can make a cheap substantial salad with green leaves, grated carrot, cooked canned beans, sweetcorn and sliced mushrooms. Canned tuna is a nice addiction. Dress with vinaigrette.

Any thick vegetable soup such as cream of carrot, leek & potato or sweetcorn chowder.

Anything involving eggs, such as scrambled egg with toast, omelette, etc you name it.

Grated potato cakes only require potatoes, an egg, a little flour and rolled oats and are delicious. I gotta go somewhere right now but if you want the recipe give me a shout and I'll post it here.

One go-to for me is rice and beans ā€“ super cheap and packed with protein. You can mix it up with different seasonings to keep it interesting. Also, canned veggies are a wallet-friendly option and don't require much prep.If you're looking to save time in the kitchen, consider batch cooking and freezing meals. That way, you can have healthy stuff on hand without daily cooking hassle.And hey, if you're ever in the mood to splurge a little on some quality ingredients, I usually order organic bone broth online at https://healofoods.com. It's a game-changer for adding flavor to simple dishes.

Last edited: