• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Charity, Selfishness & Human Nature

So, do we - as the privileged - want the suffering to stop; are we willing to give up our lifestyle and moderate global economies so that nobody is privileged and nobody suffers?

NSFW:

As far as I'm concerned, the baker should be allowed to refuse something like a gay wedding.
But, if a gay guy walked into a bakery, they shouldn't be allowed to refuse them.

I like to think that we would, or I would, but I think the unfortunate truth is, the vast majority of us, with few exceptions, will always be in the same social class that we were raised in; even if we are no longer in that class materially.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with not donating money, but I don't understand when people are vehemently against it. It seems like a pointless and misguided thing to oppose. I don't judge people that do not donate for whatever reason, but I find anti-charity sentiment's

In my early 20's, I was going to door knock for an epilepsy foundation (as a sufferer, I sympathised) but I learned that 50% of what I gathered was mine. That just seemed crazy to me, so I decided to not get involved.

Miss Willow has a sponsor child in Ghana, and we both have a monthly debit to world wildlife foundation. I have a monthly debit to Medicens Sans Frontiers. None of this is very much money; around 60-70 dollars permonth. I used to do some dog-walking at the RSPCA. I try to avoid donating to religious organisations or charities run by such, for ideological reasons (theirs, not mine ;)).

Time is something that nearly anyone can donate. If you are unemployed, why not use some of that time to volunteer? My best friend is currently out of work, and he is volunteering at an opp shop in the city to satisfy himself. I think its a good thing for him.