• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Charas/Hash - Refinement and Use

Xavior

Greenlighter
So don't ask how but a friend recently got his hands on some Charas (Indian hand rolled hash/resin).

It's dark and almost black as it's just trichomes and oil direct from the plant along with chlorophyll all rolled into a ball.

My question is, can this be refined further into shatter/oil etc whatever it's called now? The objective is dabs. If Charas is already concentrated, then I'm thinking breaking it down to oil would be easy. Safe non volatile methods only, not interested in butane or acid or anything else crazy - isopropyl maybe.

Yes but what a waste. Hand rubbing charas is very labor-intensive, a single worker can only do like 10 grams a day. Makes it something of a rarity. Why not enjoy it as it is? Well it's your hash do what you want...

You have a point; it will definitely be enjoyed as is but I was just thinking wouldn't it be nice to also create a little oil? Personally I can't handle the traditional chillum/tobacco method of us, my lungs are sensitive so I prefer a short softer smoke. Never done a dab though so I wouldn't know!

I'd agree with 421 and smoke it as is, and leave that tobbacco out. You could always put it in a bowl on top of a bed of ash instead or put it on a screen. I promise it won't melt through and be wasted. Here's also a visual I found online if you think I'm full of shit:

You'll get much more flavor and I'm sure it will be smoother. Fuck tobbacco man it's really bad for you and can lead to a gross habit. Nothing beneficial at all. Getting addicted to nicotine is among my top regrets and on the high side of the stupidity scale

I agree with the other posters, what you have is such a rare thing it would seem to be a waste to try and process it further into a more potent concentrate. If you want to make BHO or QWISO then you can easily do it with buds.

I love all types of hash, but personally I have always preferred the more traditional types. While they are undoubtedly less potent than the oils and some higher grades of bubble hash, I feel like they have more flavour and the high they give has more character to it.

i've dabbed bubble hash before. should try dropping a little ball onto a hot nail and see if it doesn't smoke up.

Charas is great on it's own, no need to do anything to it. You can smoke/vape it in a similar way to oil, it'll just have more taste & be a little less potent. Get some in a glass pipe & melt/vape it, it's lovely.

Unless there's something badly wrong with your charas then I wouldn't bother making oil, hash is better.

Charas really isn't that rare, maybe where you live, but it's not all hand rubbed in tiny amounts, if they use leather they can get larger amounts of it easier.

You can make oil from it, but you'll need some pure solvent to make oil, butane is one of the best, just don't blow yourself up & make sure you use a brand with "zero impurities" (says so on the can), there will only be very insignificant amounts of solvent left in the final product. Just make sure your solvents are as pure as you can find. I don't know why you think alcohol will be safer than butane, the vapours are still flammable & you'll need heat to evaporate it. Alcohol is less selective than butane too, butane oil will be purer.

Last edited:
Appreciate the feedback, it all depends what it's like though - if it's bad or not so great stuff then an extraction makes sense.

I've read more about it and found how to tell good charas ultimately found on another forum - direct repost:
"The highest quality is never too oily, it stays on the dry-side but it gets really soft as you rub it in with your fingers. If you pull it apart it doesn't snap, it tears gently with a rubbery attitude. "

Also: "Watch out for anything that's crumbly as that usually means its been cut with something."

So very excited no experience with hash or the like! It is very rare where I am. I guess my first thought was of purifying it due to concerns of quality and having contaminants. After reading more I see it can be a real art so to speak and has tradition behind it.

The butane thing is exactly what I wanted to avoid. Way to dangerous IMO and I just can't wrap my head around mixing a natural product with something so unnatural.

The butane thing is exactly what I wanted to avoid. Way to dangerous IMO and I just can't wrap my head around mixing a natural product with something so unnatural.

butane is just a hydrocarbon. it is inorganic, but still natural.

its not voodoo or anything.

proper safety precautions and its safe to make BHO