• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Change in Oxy Dose?

JennyBloom

Greenlighter
Hi new here. So I have been taking 20 mg oxycodone since 2014. I was crushed by an elevator at work and ended up with seven herniated disks :(
Today the Dr raised my dosage from 20mg four times a day to 30mg two times a day.
Would there be a significant change in how I feel?
It's nice to find a site where I can talk about how I feel. Everyone else in my family claims I'm an addict. I went to a methadone clinic and pretty much got sent out saying I wasn't addicted. I can say for sure the withdrawals really suck ass.
I usually help my friend out and I end up short every month. So far I've figured out a few things to help cope till I can get my refill. Anyways for my first post I hope to find others like me.

Lady Bloom
??❤️?

Hi Jenny, welcome to Bluelight :)

Sorry to hear about your work accident - sounds awful! :(

Regarding your dose, your doctor has lowered it (60mg/day vs 80mg/day). I'd expect the pain to feel a little worse to be honest. Did he/she explain why they changed the dose?

Since you're coming up short on pill counts, did he possibly lower it to an amount more akin to what you're actually taking? Obviously not sure how much you're helping out your friend here, but overall it is a lower dosage, CFC is 100% on that.

You'll probably feel some effects. But shouldn't be too bad. Your body will adjust to it within a week. Dropping 20mgs only twice a day, compared to your body being used to getting it 4 times a day... that's kind of a big jump. That's actually very similar to how I weaned off Oxys and I did get the cold sweats and a few other WD symptoms but your body will adjust fast so just power through. Maybe ask your doc to do a slower taper next time if he's trying to wean you off.

That is a 25% dose reduction, and your only dosing twice a day, as opposed to qid-if it is too difficult, tell your doctor you need a third dose, as oxy wears off to fast, or ask for an ex medication, along w/ 10-15 breakthrough tablets

If your pain is legitimate and he doesn?t want to taper you/ is not a prick, he should work with you, and many doctors prefer CR formulations anyway

Note not giving advice on ?how to score? however that is simply to big of a dose drop, and an alternative should, and very likely can, be tried soon

Sorry but for starters, you really need to stop helping your friend out. With that reduction, you're going to need all you get, seriously.

I know I shouldn’t help him and I told him today that I won’t be able to afford giving them away like I have due to the reduction. I actually was the one who asked for a dose increase but asked him to lower it to twice a day. I kinda want to week off of them due to the WD. But then again I wouldn't have them if I didn't share them. Thanks for the welcome guys :)
My Dr is pretty cool so if I don't share them this month and I feel that I can't manage I'll ask for my 120 count. I took it twice today already and luckily I also get ceraquil 200mg for sleep so I'll take that to avoid having to take another pain pill. PS paxil is a hell of a med lol. I'm wired

Hi Jenny. Prozac gets me wired like that. Good thing your doctor will give you some leeway in the event next month you may need more. I hope your friend understands that you won't be able to help him out anymore. More power to you if you can go a week without but you shouldn't have to!

OP, what do you mean when you say that you wouldn't have what you have now if it wasn't for him? I don't understand that comment. Don't you just get your script legitimately and then give him some of your pills after it is filled?

I'd venture to say that you will experience some fairly significant discomfort from such a dosage decrease. I doubt the symptoms of your withdrawal would be at the level in which they would rob you of your ability to function. Having an open and honest relationship with your prescriber is great. There are medications outside the realm of Opioid analgesics that can greatly reduce or completely mitigate your symptoms. To be concise, you need to take advantage of the effects of non-Opioid drugs while withdrawing. The idea is that you will be subjectively comfortable while your syndrome is in fact, progressing normally.

You're going to have to let us know what your experiences are with a variety of different drugs, but if you're asking for my personal opinion, I like to keep it simple.

Gabapentinoids - Pregabalin (Lyrica) -> Gabapentin (Neurontin) -> Phenibut (OTC Supplement) in order from most effective to least. Restless Legs/Akathisia are almost completely eliminated by the proper dosage of a Gabapentinoid. In general, they provide me with relief from those symptoms but also provide me with energy while reducing peripheral stuff like hot/cold flashes and other minor symptoms.

Clonidine (Catapres) - It's a blood pressure medication, an antihypertensive, but it's usage for off-label indications has really proliferated in recent years, arguably due to the Opioid epidemic. Clonidine is not nearly as magic as Gabapentinoids are, but they can make the difference between getting to sleep and rolling around all night. They are good to have around and fairly easy to obtain.

Cannabis - It shouldn't require a huge explanation. Everything that you know it does; appetite stimulation (smoke a joint, take advantage of the effects and use that time to eat as large of a meal as you can stomach and drink some water), anxiolysis (varies from person to person) and again, help with getting to sleep.

There's a laundry list of other potential medications, but all things being equal, ten years of Opioid dependence has left me with this basic framework. I've used it on multiple continents and the knowledge of how to manage my symptoms effectively with what is easily obtainable is part of what has kept me alive and free all these years.