• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Chance of catching hep C from clean needles no disinfectation?

Bob Ranks

Greenlighter
Is the chance high that this will happen.

I'm talking about using totally brand-new clean needles maybe once or twice before discarding, but while being on the street interacting with junkies.

And also what if the needle tip touches your clothes or your finger briefly by mistake.

I am way cleaner and more "paranpid" about this stuff than most junkies. But I am still worried I didn't do enough.

I realize the chance exists (which is why hospitals always use disinfectant). I'm asking if it's likely.

I plan to get tested and all that.

Last edited:
Hepc doesn't just exist until you disinfect. It's a virus. A needle needs the blood of a Hepc positive person to be infectious.

In saying that, being high and around other junkies there's always the chance of mistakes.

I think a good system would be only using a syringe once. You know it's safe it's its brand new and only being used once.

It's pretty clear-cut. HCV or Hepatitis C Virus is passed solely through blood to blood contact. It's totally up to you to prevent that from happening. I'm going to say that if you are clean like you say and reasonably careful, you're very unlikely to ever contract it, even being homeless.

I am not homeless.

However, I do tend to buy "clean" needles off of whoever I buy dope from.

I was under the impression (for over a decade) that if I pull back the plunger and it is "stiff," that means the needle is unused.

Found out today that is not the case.

I was tested a few weeks ago and was clean.

But have used since then.

And discovered today that the guys I buy from tried to sell me an obviously dirty needle.

Also found out aids transmission is NOT nearly 100% if one were to share with an hiv+ person.

Very confused right now...

Agreed, with above, you should try and buy legit syringes either from pharmacies or online, or get some from exchanges or something. I wouldn't trust something from a dealer honestly. I mean you can also rinse it with rubbing alcohol and then hot water if you're worried it could be contaminated, but best practice is to just only get ones you know are totally fresh.

Dude, needle exchanges exist. Or if you can't get them from there buy them online.

The only time you should ever consider using a rig someone else has given you is if you know them and it's still in the packet, unsealed.

I would never, ever use a needle I didn't see come right out of a packet. No way in hell.

You really cannot hold yourself out as being any better or more sanitary than 'homeless junkies' if you took a needle out of the packet from someone to use with. I've been homeless and I never used a single dirty rig during my 6 months on the street. Not a single time. Barely even reused needles unless I was really scrapped for paraphenalia. But that was rare and I always used bleach and hot water in those situations.

Fuck me dude. If you keep doing stuff like this I actually recommend asking your doctor about PrEP, which is colloquially known as 'the gay drug' but is also widely prescribed to other at risk groups for HIV/AIDS such as IV drug users. It would act as a failsafe against some of your worse choices in where you source your using equipment and would protect you against infection 99% of the time. PEP is also an option which you can get from sexual health clinics or emergency departments the day after your potential exposure to the virus which you have to take for 30 days. PrEP you take continuously.

Just some well meaning advice here, one of the reasons I do take PrEP aside from sleeping with other men is on the one in a billion chance I somehow use a dirty rig.

If you are going to be an IV user who has something approaching a normal average lifespan that means you are required to do certain things in order to protect your health.

1. Always use clean needles.
2. Always use alcohol swabs on everything you touch, your injection site, and the needle you are injecting with plus the hand you use to find the vein.
3. Learn proper technique where you know how to form a vacuum with your grip and register in the vein immediately instead of going on a fishing expedition.
4. Learn technique so that you don't need to re-adjust your grip after you register, causing you to slip out and miss the shot.
5. Use cotton swabs on injection site post injection, rather than alcohol swabs (which increases bleeding).
6. Use proper correct filters for what you are using. Cotton swab small bits are fine in a pinch, but a proper filter is better.
7. Use sterile water every time you use and learn the order in which different water types should be used. This information is available online.
8. If you are not managing to hit, and you are messing up your veins, have an agreement with yourself that maybe a plan b in the form of plugging the solution is preferred to continuing. This also goes for if you have registered and gotten blood in the rig but haven't hit a shot soon after so the solution becomes unsterile.
9. Unless you are proficient, and plan your use meticulously, and have a supply of paraphernalia you can bring with you, avoid using in public places including public bathrooms where people may put you in a rush. If you can do it as fast as I can, fine. But if not, it's much better to avoid the stress entirely.
10. Rotate your injection sites and you absolutely must practice using both arms. This is non negotiable. If you are only willing to use one arm because you aren't willing to learn how to be proficient with the other one, your career as an IV user will end suddenly.

Lastly, if you have been repeatedly trying to successfully do it and failing miserably even though you have had plenty of chance to learn, it may be time to consider whether this is the right ROA for you. I've been an IV user for 7 years all up, but if you remove the combined months I didn't shoot up at all, the total would be closer to 1.5-2 years and within less than 1 I was able to shoot up more often than not, by 1.5 years I could get it first time 99% of the time and I never miss.

If you're going to use in the most dangerous way you possibly can, you need to do *everything* possible to at least be doing it as safely as possible. This does not include using mystery needles to inject. Not by a long shot.

Dude, needle exchanges exist. Or if you can't get them from there buy them online.

The only time you should ever consider using a rig someone else has given you is if you know them and it's still in the packet, unsealed.

I would never, ever use a needle I didn't see come right out of a packet. No way in hell.

You really cannot hold yourself out as being any better or more sanitary than 'homeless junkies' if you took a needle out of the packet from someone to use with. I've been homeless and I never used a single dirty rig during my 6 months on the street. Not a single time. Barely even reused needles unless I was really scrapped for paraphenalia. But that was rare and I always used bleach and hot water in those situations.

Fuck me dude. If you keep doing stuff like this I actually recommend asking your doctor about PrEP, which is colloquially known as 'the gay drug' but is also widely prescribed to other at risk groups for HIV/AIDS such as IV drug users. It would act as a failsafe against some of your worse choices in where you source your using equipment and would protect you against infection 99% of the time. PEP is also an option which you can get from sexual health clinics or emergency departments the day after your potential exposure to the virus which you have to take for 30 days. PrEP you take continuously.

Just some well meaning advice here, one of the reasons I do take PrEP aside from sleeping with other men is on the one in a billion chance I somehow use a dirty rig.

If you are going to be an IV user who has something approaching a normal average lifespan that means you are required to do certain things in order to protect your health.

1. Always use clean needles.
2. Always use alcohol swabs on everything you touch, your injection site, and the needle you are injecting with plus the hand you use to find the vein.
3. Learn proper technique where you know how to form a vacuum with your grip and register in the vein immediately instead of going on a fishing expedition.
4. Learn technique so that you don't need to re-adjust your grip after you register, causing you to slip out and miss the shot.
5. Use cotton swabs on injection site post injection, rather than alcohol swabs (which increases bleeding).
6. Use proper correct filters for what you are using. Cotton swab small bits are fine in a pinch, but a proper filter is better.
7. Use sterile water every time you use and learn the order in which different water types should be used. This information is available online.
8. If you are not managing to hit, and you are messing up your veins, have an agreement with yourself that maybe a plan b in the form of plugging the solution is preferred to continuing. This also goes for if you have registered and gotten blood in the rig but haven't hit a shot soon after so the solution becomes unsterile.
9. Unless you are proficient, and plan your use meticulously, and have a supply of paraphernalia you can bring with you, avoid using in public places including public bathrooms where people may put you in a rush. If you can do it as fast as I can, fine. But if not, it's much better to avoid the stress entirely.
10. Rotate your injection sites and you absolutely must practice using both arms. This is non negotiable. If you are only willing to use one arm because you aren't willing to learn how to be proficient with the other one, your career as an IV user will end suddenly.

Lastly, if you have been repeatedly trying to successfully do it and failing miserably even though you have had plenty of chance to learn, it may be time to consider whether this is the right ROA for you. I've been an IV user for 7 years all up, but if you remove the combined months I didn't shoot up at all, the total would be closer to 1.5-2 years and within less than 1 I was able to shoot up more often than not, by 1.5 years I could get it first time 99% of the time and I never miss.

If you're going to use in the most dangerous way you possibly can, you need to do *everything* possible to at least be doing it as safely as possible. This does not include using mystery needles to inject. Not by a long shot.
Thanks.

I ultimately would like to use no drugs at all.

I am trying to get my family to trust me again. I would like kids of my own one day. This life ain't fot me.

I snorted my dope today.

And what do you know? The guy who sold it to me (even though I went to a different town to cop this time) tried to sell me a "cleaned" used needle, which I turned down, and then after the fact told me "I have hep C by the way, do you?" (as if it were the most normal thing ever).

Fuck that.

So is there any significant chance I'll get sick just from snorting? Like, just from being in contact/close physical proxomity with these people?

I have sone scratches and scabs and mosquito bites which I've been paranoid about scratching for fear I will transmit the virus, even though I washed my hands thoroughly.

Is Hep C (and/or other diseases) really that easy to catch that I can realistically get it just from, say, shaking hands with the wrong person and then scratching a bug bite too hard?

Or am I being paranoid?

All this is even making me want to just go cold turkey (well, not actually cold turkey, just no opioids, no subs, kratom, etc).

Thanks.

I ultimately would like to use no drugs at all.

I am trying to get my family to trust me again. I would like kids of my own one day. This life ain't fot me.

I snorted my dope today.

And what do you know? The guy who sold it to me (even though I went to a different town to cop this time) tried to sell me a "cleaned" used needle, which I turned down, and then after the fact told me "I have hep C by the way, do you?" (as if it were the most normal thing ever).

Fuck that.

So is there any significant chance I'll get sick just from snorting? Like, just from being in contact/close physical proxomity with these people?

I have sone scratches and scabs and mosquito bites which I've been paranoid about scratching for fear I will transmit the virus, even though I washed my hands thoroughly.

Is Hep C (and/or other diseases) really that easy to catch that I can realistically get it just from, say, shaking hands with the wrong person and then scratching a bug bite too hard?

Or am I being paranoid?

You're being paranoid, hep C is a blood borne virus or transmitted through bodily fluids. It is actually also highly treatable. I know loads of ex IV users who have cleared their system of hep C with the correct treatment.

If you continue to remain paranoid about this the my only two suggestions are either swapping to a more sanitary source of your product like I regularly use, and avoiding crack den type places which are a veritable Petri dish of disease, or ceasing your use entirely.

You have mentioned that you want your family and friends to trust you again. Now may be a good time to write out a positive and negative comparison chart of things you are getting from use verses bad things that are impacting you from it.

I use in a moderated way now and I stay actively engaged in drug and alcohol counselling and many types of trauma therapy, so whenever I have a. Weak moment I always have some help to get back on my way. I don't want a life of abstinence, just a level of use I'm comfortable with.

I have a lot of experience with recovery so if you want to reach out and have a chat about your options I'd be happy to help.

I'm talking about using totally brand-new clean needles maybe once or twice before discarding, but while being on the street interacting with junkies.

And also what if the needle tip touches your clothes or your finger briefly by mistake.

I am way cleaner and more "paranpid" about this stuff than most junkies. But I am still worried I didn't do enough.

I realize the chance exists (which is why hospitals always use disinfectant). I'm asking if it's likely.

You’ll be ok unles you bring someone else into the mix, as far as I know,,

It took a little arm twisting but my insurance coughed up $100,000 for my meds ,everyday a few pills for a few months no side effects like back in the day,

Even though I was a IV drug user for a long time I never tested positive till a few yrs after getting clean and always thought I got it from:the ink I had done after getting clean,unless it’s capable of staying dormant for years….

When I went to rehab last year it was discovered I had hep c, must have caught it 20 to 25 years before ( little or no symptoms is normal) however it slowly destroys your liver. A 3 month course of meds cleared it with no side effects, but still have a poor liver. It is highly transmissible and can live outside the body for some time unlike HIV.

Highly unlikely. The thing is not sharing needles or ANY other equipment used in preparation, even cookers.

Not just unlikely, it is improbable in the scenario described.

You have a higher risk of hepatitis B in the described situation.

Yet if you are regularly poking holes in yourself and introducing things into your bloodstream you eventually start to introduce unwanted guests, like particulates, pathogens, fungi, etc. Over time one gets sloppy and sanitary vigilance lessens

OP here.

Yeah, so a day after posting this thread, I actually discovered that the "clean" needles sold to me by the dealers/junkies I was buying from may not have always been clean.

One of them tried to pass off a clearly-used needle as "new," and I now suspect it's not the first time.

It's crazy that these dealers would actually save their used needles -- including washing them and putting the orange cap back on the back/plunger -- just to pass them off as "new" and sell them for a dollar.

blood to blood is the hep c rule.

if you dont get blood to blood interaction your fine but any interaction is a risk no matter how small.

hep C while not nice is not the problem it once was.

so simple dont let others use your needles and your fine :)

never seen someone get hep C without sharing.

I have lived with well of a dozen different people with hep C and never caught it my self so no sharing no problems.

also if you do share dont think a quick bleach will be enough.

it reduces the risks but is not fool proof.

only an autoclave and glass syringes are or clean or unshared needles and syringes (needle might be clean but if you draw blood into a syringe then share there could be probs)

OP here.

Yeah, so a day after posting this thread, I actually discovered that the "clean" needles sold to me by the dealers/junkies I was buying from may not have always been clean.

One of them tried to pass off a clearly-used needle as "new," and I now suspect it's not the first time.

It's crazy that these dealers would actually save their used needles -- including washing them and putting the orange cap back on the back/plunger -- just to pass them off as "new" and sell them for a dollar.
Wow that's messed up some people have so little respect for others... Where I'm from we have needle exchange services so you can go in, get a box of 100 sealed needles, swabs, fresh spoons, cotton, sharps containers etc. The government figured out it's cheaper to provide that service than deal with an outbreak of hep C etc ...

Then again we are fairly lucky as heroin users in Melbourne, Australia. Some of the best services in the world short of giving us legal heroin....

Wow that's messed up some people have so little respect for others... Where I'm from we have needle exchange services so you can go in, get a box of 100 sealed needles, swabs, fresh spoons, cotton, sharps containers etc. The government figured out it's cheaper to provide that service than deal with an outbreak of hep C etc ...

Then again we are fairly lucky as heroin users in Melbourne, Australia. Some of the best services in the world short of giving us legal heroin....

You guys are lucky to have the safe injecting room. Though Adelaide doesn't have the same heroin use and overdose issue as Melbourne does.

I recently tried a new needle exchange and I was utterly thrilled to find out they give out actual 50 pack boxes of sterile water ampules FOR FREE which I usually had to pay for by the ampule.

Living in a place like this there isn't really much of an excuse to not be using sterile, safe, fresh equipment every time you use. I count myself fortunate to live in a country where I am supported to use as safely as I can and treated without stigma when collecting the supplies I need.