View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

CeV or OeV - Preference?

ykm420

Bluelighter
Not sure if this has been made before, but I'm curious- When on a psychedelic, which do you prefer, Open, or Closed eye Visuals?
I've personally never sought after CeV's, or even tried just closing my eyes whilst on an expedition, I love to see it unfold before my eyes, enjoying each second of the journey into my deeper consciousness. <3

Anywhom, explain why your preference is C/OeV's!

Being that I spend the majority of my trips with eyes open I prefer OEV's. However I can't discount my love for CEV's as these tend to be far more immersive than OEV's if they're strong enough. I love em both, but if there was one that I had to choose or sought after more it would be OEV's.

Visually I greatly prefer open eye visuals. I usually have trouble keeping my eyes closed long enough to really be immersed in closed eye visuals.

One recent exception, surprisingly, was on only 150ug of LSZ. I had my eyes closed for about 20 minutes and enjoyed some spectacular closed eye visuals of psychedelic morphing landscapes.

I've never had good CEV's. Even on MXE, I sit there with my eyes open so I can see the visual distortions, rather than try and find places within my mind. As far as actual psychedelics go, I always prefer OEV's. They're the most awe inspiring, because, well CEV's can happen with anything, but when you have OEV's you know shit just got real hahah.

What's your serotonergic psychedelic experience 240sx? Proper doses of certain serotonergic psychedelics can induce CEV's that can leave you with your jaw dropping... Dissociatives, or any other class drugs for that matter don't produce anything like that IME, unless you consider a "hole" a CEV, which I wouldn't. Dissociative CEV's totally lack that jeweled beauty. Obviously though, some just don't get many CEV's... and you just may be one.

I've done LSD, 25x (who knows), 2C-C, 2C-D and mushrooms. I've never really cared for CEV's, they've never been very exciting. OEV's have always been much more intriguing.

I think it's like asking "Which is your favorite side, the peanut butter, or the jelly?" They both have their own purpose and appeal, and they both influence each other to form the experience. One is nothing without the other.

OEV's are fun, playful, interesting, and with psychs like 2C-E they can be down-right flooring. I'm pretty experienced on psychedelics and yet sometimes the OEV's get so intense with 2C-E I have to ask my partner to verify if "that's really happening or not" pointing out signs and such that are indescribably in motion.

CEV's, though, are deeper, they form from deeper thoughts and emotions, and they lead to more introspection. Take Alex Grey's artwork, for example. Those are CEV's most likely. To see that with open eyes, you'd have to be tripping very hard and at that point, yeah, there's no difference between OEV's and CEV's. I've been there once with mushrooms. and once with DMT.

I've also had experiences where it's actually difficult to tell if your eyes are open or not. That's an interesting effect...

I've slowly switched from seeking out OEVs to CEVs over the years. The places I can go with my eyes closed are of indescribable beauty

Last edited:
With DMT in a pitch black room CEV's are OEV's are CEV's...I can't tell if my eyes are open or closed, but generally, IME, CEV's are much more detailed and intricate....CEV's are how I visit the other realms.
I love tripping with my eyes closed while doing DMT

Honestly I find that when on psychedelics it is very hard for me to physically keep my eyes closed other than a blink. If I try to close them, they will flutter badly and force themselves open. Because of this, I honestly don't know if I've ever really had CEVs. It's all just been OEVs. I also don't ever get very spiritual or introspective on psychedelics, the only effect they really have on me is getting me high (I've never done heroin, but IMO, nothing can beat being incredibly high on LSD) and OEVs.

However, the last time I had good access to DMT and my friend was mixing magic often, I once blasted myself off to a place I've never been close to on any drug ever. Even with DMT, it's very hard for me to blast off, and again, I am in it for the high (which I don't like sometimes) and OEVs. Anyways, this one DMT experience was the most concentrated dose of DMT I've ever had, and I guess my eyes were closed, but I was in this room (definitely got the idea of 4 walls around me - I was smoking outside when this happened), and every time I turned to face the next wall, I just saw the most indescribable morphing and beautiful objects. I wish I could remember exactly what it was. However, upon coming out of it, I immediately told my friends I had just been to "the Grey Room", explaining that I somehow managed to get into Alex Grey's level of headspace and his room of inspiration. The Grey Room had to have been totally CEVs, it felt like I was there for hours. That one session was the most DMT I've ever smoked in one sesh and DAMN, did it finally get to me. I would like to visit the Grey Room again someday, but at the same time, I don't use DMT and most psychedelics recreationally anymore. Mainly just at shows and if given the chance to get some super-strong blotter or a new drug to try, I would probably take it. But yeah, other than that one time, I can't recall any time I've been able to keep my eyes closed, quite literally. Maybe it's just me, meh.

I've never had good CEV's. Even on MXE, I sit there with my eyes open so I can see the visual distortions, rather than try and find places within my mind. As far as actual psychedelics go, I always prefer OEV's. They're the most awe inspiring, because, well CEV's can happen with anything, but when you have OEV's you know shit just got real hahah.

Oddly MXE is the only drug I've taken that quite consistently gives me interesting CEVs with eyes closed. Last time after about 35mg and a joint I hopped into bed and shut my eyes. I drifted of into a world of spirals and swirls at first, but this then morphed into entire cities unfolding before me, complete with people walking in it etc.

LSD did not do much for me closed eyes except for the time I took it at a club and closed my eyes whilst facing the strobe light. HOLY SHIT. I'm thinking most psychs + strobe light with eyes closed would induce pretty good visuals.

I prefer MXE for its closed eye visuals as the open eye visuals tend to make things look ugly/weird and not in any way beautiful/jaw dropping. On real psychs oevs definitely have my preference as it can be quite fun staring at something for so long you forgot what it originally was you were looking it :D.

I like only high doses of psyches to that point when i can see detailed open eye movies even with lights turn on:)

I think it's like asking "Which is your favorite side, the peanut butter, or the jelly?" They both have their own purpose and appeal, and they both influence each other to form the experience. One is nothing without the other.

OEV's are fun, playful, interesting, and with psychs like 2C-E they can be down-right flooring. I'm pretty experienced on psychedelics and yet sometimes the OEV's get so intense with 2C-E I have to ask my partner to verify if "that's really happening or not" pointing out signs and such that are indescribably in motion.

CEV's, though, are deeper, they form from deeper thoughts and emotions, and they lead to more introspection. Take Alex Grey's artwork, for example. Those are CEV's most likely. To see that with open eyes, you'd have to be tripping very hard and at that point, yeah, there's no difference between OEV's and CEV's. I've been there once with mushrooms. and once with DMT.

I've also had experiences where it's actually difficult to tell if your eyes are open or not. That's an interesting effect...

Have to agree with the over all sentiment of this post.

For me the immersive nature of CEVs & Music is probably slightly preferential to OEVs...

I prefer CEVs. They're a lot more immersive, and do not confuse me like OEVs.

CEV's can be so powerful, and thought provoking that I can literally fear being so rapped up in them I miss something else going on in the real world. I like em both to be honest, but I do enjoy trailers, and visual of the real world

Only CeV's I get, or rather get sucked into is with dissociatives.. As someone pointed out, that's just what happens.. It's like, a dream you remember almost completely, but not knowing you're on a drug. (At least that's how a DEEP hole reacts for me). I was paralyzed, sitting in a beanbag controlling the world via 100's of TV's and a single remote. I think the only other CeV I've ever had was with my very first roll, I was scripted Vyvanse 70's, had taken it like 3 hours prior, my sister gave me my first roll (It was in my sock DROAR for a month, btw how do you actually spell that?) Happened to be very high MDA + Meth.. Everything went so fantastic till I took a few Gravity Bong rips, I felt the smoke circling in my lungs which was nice.. Then everything went south.. I heart was literally beating as fast as you can tap your finger on a table, I thought I was going to have a heart attack, literally. I was 17, and was not going to go wake my rents and tell them I'm about to die with my dinner plate pupils likely looking insane. My arm started morphing from when I was first born, to how it was now.. So I closed my eyes and saw colors swirling about.. It lasyed about 9 hours before I was able to actually attempt sleep. Oddly enough years later when I was very exp with drugs, my sister had the SAME experience, she got brought home by her boyfriend, I told him to take off I'll take care of it, got her to her room without my mom/dad seeing her that way, she REALLY did not want me around, and was super paranoid, just laying in the dark. I just kept checking on her, and literally having to nag her to at least take a few sips of water every 45 min.. Crazy times.

I love em both but it reall depends on the drug. When it comes to hallucinogens I usually prefer dissociatives which provides massive CEVs but high doses give insanely detailed bizarre OEVs which are even better than the visuals acid, mescaline, or 2cs give.

Orange flavored apples and apple flavored oranges, my friend.

That being said I'd take "weak" CEVS (such as the kind you might experience on a low dose of DMT or medium dose of DXM) over average-intensity OEVs (e.g. generic halogenated 2C visuals at middling doses) anyday.