• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Ceiling effect - Tolerance Q

Rahcookiemonster

Bluelighter
Anyone had this happen?
Almost like a ceiling effect, where you can't get any higher?

I've been smoking nearly 24/7 for last week or so, for some reason. Unlimited mary jane I guess.

Anyway I've hit a ceiling, and can't get higher anymore.
Extreme tolerance.

I have smoked maybe 15 bongs today, with a few joints in between. I feel "Normal".

Time for a very long tolerance break I think..

When I smoked a lot daily for a very long time, I would notice this as well. At some point I'd just stoo getting higher. People would still offer me blunts after that, or well, tbh it didn't stop myself from rolling more blunts/joints either.. But I would not get higher after reaching that "ceiling".
However, friends of mine who smoked a lot as well, as often as me, would get higher still. Some would eventually even have to go and lie down because shit was getting too intense for them.

You are high, you just don't have a reference anymore as to what it is to be sober.

It's just like noises during the nighttime, are they actually loud, or do they just seem loud because your point of reference is different? Normally during the day there's a bunch of noise that makes something like a door opening unnoticeable, but at night the noise of the day is gone, and all of a sudden that door opening is more than noticeable.

If you smoke 24/7, it's like your body is never seeing the other side, so that perceptual shift doesn't happen. I hope any of this makes sense.

For me, i find that smoking and holding in more than a few big hits offers diminishing returns and therefore is just a waste of weed. One week off should be enough to get completely sober, then you'll notice that 'high' when you smoke again. Try to cut back a lot, the longer in between sessions, the higher you'll feel.

stop smoking blunts and bongs, smoke pipe and vape, it will change up your high for a few days.

I notice that the "high" has a ceiling point now, but the side effects still persist if i smoke too much, as in physical body tension at extreme points,

2 weeks tolerance break should do you excellent about now. Smoking and not even getting high is frustrating, especially when youre paying -snip- an 8th for the pleasure. You gotta draw the line somewhere.

Another thing to remember when you get back is to smoke light, not heavily. Its gonna be so easy to resume from your T-break by rolling a big fat joint to celebrate, but in reality all you will need is one good hit of some dank. Keep it as low as you can, so you can still get stoned. Im high literally all day everyday off top shelf meds and I still only need a single good bong rip to float away. I take a single toke about every 2 hours, usually half a gram or so in a day, sometimes less (I remember when I needed a half gram or so just to get good and stoned, and thats just one of many in the day).

I remember how hard it was to say "Im good" after a toke of the wax pen at first, nobody wants to be that guy who couldnt hang in the session after just 1 hit. But in reality Ill sit in this circle with you guys and pass that pen for 15 minutes and needlessly shoot my tolerance up if I just keep toking. And shit after 2-3 hits arent you pretty much as high as youre gonna be anyway (unless youre just trying to get stupid)?

Ever since I quit smoking habitually, like a whole bowl before breakfast, one at lunch, on with the homies, after dinner rip, bedtime rip, etc. and started smoking only when the last high has started to fade pretty much. Ive been able to achieve a very satisfactory level of stoned with a minimum of consumption. Good tolerance break, and some care to avoid needlessly raising your tolerance through "lavish" (lol) smoking, youll be back to blown all the time. In no time.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are high, you just don't have a reference anymore as to what it is to be sober.

It's just like noises during the nighttime, are they actually loud, or do they just seem loud because your point of reference is different? Normally during the day there's a bunch of noise that makes something like a door opening unnoticeable, but at night the noise of the day is gone, and all of a sudden that door opening is more than noticeable.

If you smoke 24/7, it's like your body is never seeing the other side, so that perceptual shift doesn't happen. I hope any of this makes sense.

For me, i find that smoking and holding in more than a few big hits offers diminishing returns and therefore is just a waste of weed. One week off should be enough to get completely sober, then you'll notice that 'high' when you smoke again. Try to cut back a lot, the longer in between sessions, the higher you'll feel.

This is quite correct. Marijuana tolerance is based off of perception, setting, current emotional state, frequency of use and somewhat physically. When you smoke everyday, your receptors start to shut down and become a bit clogged up. Your brain also compensates for the "poison" you're putting in it by making you tolerant to the effects, which is why people who smoke everyday see weed as mild. The side effects are still there but you aren't becoming nearly as disoriented or elevated because your brain is trying to function normally and when it becomes used to the routine...well it does a better job. A physical tolerance, however, is acquired through smoking multiple times a day, which is the "ceiling effect" that you are currently experiencing. That is when you physically cannot get high anymore because your everyday life consists of being stoned, which makes it normal. As you smoke multiple times during the day, you experience less and less benefits and mainly just side effects, especially if you don't allow yourself to sober up before your next session (4-6 hours). The THC is so built up in your system it will hardly make a difference after 2-3 sessions or if you smoke when you're already high. It's good to learn your limit, because if you smoke everyday that much you will be mainly wasting weed. If you want to be a daily smoker, I recommend once a day, but I know how tempting it is to spark up multiple times once it's part of your routine.

Also, smoking everyday in the same setting will give you an apparent tolerance. Remember, marijuana functions as an upper, a downer and a hallucinogen. With persistent use you will experience more downer effects, but with less frequent use it will be more of a hallucinogen. Tolerance breaks are definitely worth the time, Im cutting back my use right now though so I understand it's not always a realistic/easy thing. Taking time away from the herb will restore your perception of what it should be vs. how it functions in your life currently.