• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

CDC reports Salmonella Contaminated Kratom: 28 cases in 20 states

How convenient. The DEA wants to ban kratom, meets popular opposition, and all of a sudden the shit turns poisonous.

There was enough popular pushback that the DEA didn't ban it after the first comment period.

Big pharma MUST want to patent it and make their own formula for prescription right?

I mean it's too good an opportunity to pass up

There's no real demand for more "classical" opioid agonists any more, if anything, Big Pharma will avoid kratom for that very reason.

There was enough popular pushback that the DEA didn't ban it after the first comment period.

Or perhaps they decided that their time and money was better spent enforcing current drug laws... perhaps they also realized the practicality of staking out kratom shops/users and waiting till they go up the opiate ladder.

We have a tremendous amount of push back on the marijuana laws, and the DEA hasn't cared to change their tune at all.

Pressure doesn't work.

If this were 1985 I would agree. It would be labeled narcotic and that is that. However over time and having congressman and senators writing letters to leave it and study it helped to back off. I understand a few senators had family members that utilized kratom.

And then there is the AKA. Mycophile is correct. We should donate. Look at the NRA. Kids are getting killed and they won't budge. So the AKA is a good force that has momentum. Momentum is what we want. Kratom could very well just stay herbal like kava. Kava almost got banned years ago with the liver scares but was backed off. I even think the salmonella issue is flushing out the leaf is not deadly if that is all they got. Banning it outright is too obnoxious now.

I agree with Mycophile. I use to skip Mycophile posts. You use to make kratom look scary. :) But I read them again ever since you stopped kratom and came back and said it was easier than you thought. So I agree and glad I read your posts again. Donating the AKA is a good thing to do. So far we are winning this using a little money and momentum.

Thanks.

Yeah, I used to freak out over it but I learned the ropes with it and figured out that it's no big deal.

Sure, if you do too much too often you can end up feeling crappy for a few days but it won't last long if you are smart about it and stagger your doses and take days off.

IMO going cold turkey off coffee is just as bad if not worse but they aren't trying to ban that.

What I don't understand is that in these emails I keep getting from the AKA they say things like "The FDA is sending out warnings but it will actually come down to the DEA as to whether or not Kratom becomes illegal."

Am I wrong or does it not come down to Congress to make ANYTHING illegal??

Why do they speak with this language?

I mean the DEA and FDA and CDC or whoever else can make all the attempts they want but congress has to go along with it for it to become illegal right?

And if I am right about that, then why do these letters keep talking as if the DEA has all the power?

I mean can't congress decide they don't agree with the DEA?