CD Mixing??

trEEs

Bluelighter
I was wondering if anybody used cd mixers instead of turntables? And if so what kinda of set up are using and what would you recommend?

Um. . . IMO nobody uses cds. Well, lets just say the no one famous does, and those that do, only use like 1 cd deck and 2 turntables. Infact, most DJ's make fun of people that mix cd's. Peace,
------------------
Vestaxboy
"I feel more like I do
right now than I did
before."
"Nice Shoes, wanna fuck"

I'd have to agree, it seems like it in my area anyways, that CD dj's don't seem to get as much respect for spinning. Unless you would like to remain a bedroom dj (which there is nothing wrong with, I have been spinning for a little over 1 year and have not run into some of the problems that my boy has - he spins his cute little CD's), I would invest in some tables, because you just can't beat the feel of vinyl on your fingertips...
------------------
Set me on fire with emotion and douse me with life.....

Alright....i guess i'm gonna start a big ass argument saying this...well, hopefully not.
I just started spinnin' cds 2 weeks ago, no prior experience. I've got beat matchin' down pretty much and decent transisions. Anyway, i opted to go for CDs at this point because:
A. get songs via cable modem-napster and can then spin any song at will for free.
B. they aren't heavy to carry, and don't need to keep up the care on them (burn another one instead, if scratched)
C. cut down the initial cost of getting started greatly because i didn't have to buy any tunes (vinyl).
So far, i've had a great time with them. My system is as follows:
(2) Pioneer CDJ-700s (cd player)
(1) Numark DM2002x mixer
(1) Mackie 1400i amp
(2) JBL EON 1500s
It sounds great!
However, in probably 6 months...i'll purchase some technics 1200s and start spinnin' vinyl too. Then i'll have the best of both worlds. Spinnin' vinyl gets a lot more "respect" today, but who knows what the future will hold. Good luck with whatever you decide to do...if you have any questions lemme know!
------------------
-Keep the F-8th, MARS
AIM : Yolk151

Tenaglia uses CD players to complement his sets and last time I checked, Tenaglia is one of the most respected DJs in the world. I don't think too many peple would make fun of him......

I think you'll find that most DJ's tend to use both.
I mean, heck you can't beat that 30min mix cd for times when you gotta run to the bathroom or something...
I personaly like mixing CD's.. why.. well it's just alot easyer. I can fit MANY more songs into a small case.. less to lug around. Plus, you can easly download stuff off napster.. and burn it {rather than presseing your own on aciate}
Jay
------------------
"Roads, where we're going we don't need any roads."

Sorry, but most of you people don't know what the fuck you're talking about. More and more "big name" DJ's are incorporating CD's into their mixes. Why? Because CD's are becoming increasingly popular for artists to release their new material on, as it's much easier and cheaper to burn a track to CD-R than to have it pressed on vinyl.

Right on Jay!
Personally, I use both, although I don't play raves or clubs. I've started out as a mobile DJ (laugh if you want) and now I am doing local house parties on campus. Being able to use both allows you to do A LOT more as a DJ. When rocking out a house set you can throw anything in there. I love being able to spin back a record and slam into some pop shit that people love (and that I don't have on vinyl). Basically, don't limit yourself. Laugh at those who use CDs if you want to, but I can assure you people who can utilize as many different types of equipment and styles of music will be better off in the long run.
As for the type of equipment...Pioneer all the way!! I use CDJ100s and a DJM 300, hook a couple tables up to it and you are set like a muthafucka.

Cd's are not toys anymore ppl and yes big names DO use them as a complement to vinyl.
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with spinning cd's as they provide the very best way to get into the art of mixing one track to another- allow for quicker experimentation and easier content collecting (napster)
Vinyl is truly the club sound and will never go out of fashion, but to exclude cd-djing from your bag of tricks is just plain wasteful. The pioneer or denon setup, coupled with a awesome Korg or Pioneer effects box will ROCK. Guaranteed.
BTW Astral Projection are commonly quoted as saying cd's WILL eventually become the mixing standard and use them consistently during their live sets- as do many goa-psy trance artists. I dare you to laugh at the talents of Astral Projection!
Cheers
_Red

I use both and i love using both. I have been able to pick up hundreds of tracks for free off of Napster. In Chicago lots of dj's use cd's and 995 of the clubs have both. I rather spin vinyl but i cant give free music and its fun to spin both. Josh Wink spins only cd's nopwadays and lots of dj's spin only cd's and are reconized

I have one cd mixer hooked into the third channel of my mixer. I really don't prefer cd's over vinyl, but I find it really useful for those tracks that I just can't find on vinyl. I can just burn 'em from napster. My cd mixer doesn't have a jog wheel so it took a while to learn to mix using only pitch bending.
------------------
Fuck PLUR! It's all about hardcore assfucking!--The stuck-up 8ups
Just remember, I can delete you--Spencer
Damn Lane is an annoying asshole!

Ok what if i where just to do at as a bedroom dj and i didnt want to spend alot of money what would you recommend? I have about 500 dollars to spend on this.

if u just wanna mix for fun as a bedroom dj with only 500$ to spend, check out numark's CD-mix 1. it's a mixer and 2 cd players all in one. it's small in size so you can carry it around with ease, great for house party. i am thinking of getting one myself...it's not ur professionial cd mixer, but a fun toy just to play around. just go to ebay and search for "cd mix", that should find you some.
cheers,
Charlie

CD's suck...Hella getto...
Hell why just dont ya hook up you're MP3's and sply them..
Acutaly CD's are unfortunatly the only way to get my Jungle tracks
from the equipment to actual sound that I can mix my own tracks..
Greg Slandler has been do ing this a lot as well...
It is relly exspencive to spess records, and so we use CD's...
I runa Poin. Cd mixer in the 3rd channel of the DM-500..Then I run my decks to the other channels..
Works grate..

yo,
cd decks are useful for a few things, i will grant you, but i still say fuck them...you can't scratch on them (and don't anybody give the bullshit that you can with those cuing wheels because we know that it's not true)...they don't feel real anyway...unless you can have your hands right on the music you do not have full control like you should
------------------
Lighta' Crew!! Check It!!

Yea i know turntables are better but just dont have the money to spend on it.The reason i want cd mixer is because music is free and i am broke. Also can you hook up a different mixer or sound effects machine to numark cdmix1 or do you have to use the the thats built in ?

Yo, on the cd vs. vinyl issue. you can't compare the two. It's like apples and oranges. I've been spinning for about 5+ years and I use both. When I'm at a club or rave I use the 1200's simply because it's alot more fun, (scratching, back spins etc....) and you can usually only find the good underground stuff on vinyl. try finding half the house music that's available on vinyl on a cd or napster.......not gonna happen folks. You can usually only find the commercial stuff. Vinyl will never die, if they go to cd's I'm gonna get a dub plate cutter (mixmachines.com) and cut my own!! Back to the cd's..... I use a Numark cdn-22 for house parties and weddings because you can't beat how compact it is. I can stuff 400 cd's into a small suitcase and my little numark and be done with it. Just think.... you spend $14 on a "NOW" or other cheesy "totally hits" CD and bam! you got 14~16 cheesy party songs. Can't do that on vinyl, not when singles on vinyl run $7~10 a pop. To summarize....... 1200's for fun..... cd's for convenience and a quick library of songs. Both have their place in the world but they're different means to an end. Peace,
[This message has been edited by RubiconDJ (edited 01 February 2001).]

RAVINRABI...
Hitler should have finished the job...
punk...
dont talk shit about mofo's u's dont's kno's...
f*ck plur...
real house...

Thanks for that very insightful and intelligent post, Dodge.
Keep your sweetNOTHINGS to personal messaging, instead of polluting this board with your racial remarks.
Don't worry, I'm quite confident that Darwin will finish the job on you!

Whaa?
Good discussion going on here....let's not ruin it with shit talking.
------------------
Fuck PLUR! It's all about hardcore assfucking!--The stuck-up 8ups
Just remember, I can delete you--Spencer
Damn Lane is an annoying asshole!
[This message has been edited by RavinRabbi (edited 09 February 2001).]