• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Cbd/thc to prevent benzo withdrawal seizures?

morphineoxysbenzos

Bluelighter
Do you guys think it's possible that cbd or weed could lower your risk if you had to withdraw from benzos of having seizures? if some people use it for seizures doesnt that mean it lowers your seizure threshold? I know most cbd products are bullshit but cbd flower has a lot of in it and some of the farms sell some really potent edibles/tinctures too.

I've heard a lot of people saying thc/cbd reduces seizures so does that mean it could lower your risk of having a seizure from withdrawals?

Do you guys think it's possible that cbd or weed could lower your risk if you had to withdraw from benzos of having seizures? if some people use it for seizures doesnt that mean it lowers your seizure threshold? I know most cbd products are bullshit but cbd flower has a lot of in it and some of the farms sell some really potent edibles/tinctures too.

I've heard a lot of people saying thc/cbd reduces seizures so does that mean it could lower your risk of having a seizure from withdrawals?
I wouldn't risk relying on THC/CBD to reduce your risk of benzo wiithdrawal related tonic-clonic seizures.

I'm buying broad spectrum cbd to come off benzos as I taper and stay on when off them see if it helps my mental health and sleep, not thought about siezures as been on and off benzos for 5 years but mostly on and not had one

All others are cbd are crap I've tried most cbd stuff all shite but broad spectrum helped me come off mirtazapine once I tapered right down

I'm buying broad spectrum cbd to come off benzos as I taper and stay on when off them see if it helps my mental health and sleep, not thought about siezures as been on and off benzos for 5 years but mostly on and not had one

All others are cbd are crap I've tried most cbd stuff all shite but broad spectrum helped me come off mirtazapine once I tapered right down
Just buy a pound of hemp flower and make your own.

THC/CBD can help with seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut and Dravet syndromes. Not Tonic-Clonic siezures as far as I know.

There's 2 ways to reduce the risk of tonic-clonic seizures.

The first way (not recommended) is to continue to take GABA-A receptor agonists (assuming you're not gradually tapering off them, which you absolutely should!). This will down regulate the receptor sites further in the long run, increasing the risk of seizure further.

The second way (recommended) is to use NMDA and other glutamate receptor antagonists. If you block glutamate from binding to these receptors, you should be able to keep neural excitability down to a tolerable level while the benzodiazepine subunits on the specific GABA-A receptor sites are given enough time to upregulate and respond normally to the GABA neurotransmitter. A useful NMDA receptor antagonist is L-Theanine.

CBD has an agonistic effect on the 1A subunits of the 5-HT receptors. It acts as a Serotonin enhancer and as such, can produce it's own relaxation effects by enhancing this neurotransmitter, but I wouldn't use CBD solo without an NMDA receptor antagonist.

Stay clear of THC. It has an agonistic effect on catecholamine receptors (predominantly dopamine). Keeping catecholamine behaviour to a minimum is essential for staying above the tonic-clonic seizure threshold. It also goes without saying, but avoid Caffeine and other stimulants. Anything that increases Glutamate receptor activation will increase the action potential rate and subsequently result in a rise in catecholamine activity. This has to be avoided.

There's 2 ways to reduce the risk of tonic-clonic seizures.

The first way (not recommended) is to continue to take GABA-A receptor agonists (assuming you're not gradually tapering off them, which you absolutely should!). This will down regulate the receptor sites further in the long run, increasing the risk of seizure further.

The second way (recommended) is to use NMDA and other glutamate receptor antagonists. If you block glutamate from binding to these receptors, you should be able to keep neural excitability down to a tolerable level while the benzodiazepine subunits on the specific GABA-A receptor sites are given enough time to upregulate and respond normally to the GABA neurotransmitter. A useful NMDA receptor antagonist is L-Theanine.

CBD has an agonistic effect on the 1A subunits of the 5-HT receptors. It acts as a Serotonin enhancer and as such, can produce it's own relaxation effects by enhancing this neurotransmitter, but I wouldn't use CBD solo without an NMDA receptor antagonist.

Stay clear of THC. It has an agonistic effect on catecholamine receptors (predominantly dopamine). Keeping catecholamine behaviour to a minimum is essential for staying above the tonic-clonic seizure threshold. It also goes without saying, but avoid Caffeine and other stimulants. Anything that increases Glutamate receptor activation will increase the action potential rate and subsequently result in a rise in catecholamine activity. This has to be avoided.
Thanx for the info about THC. To bad it was allready an every day thing for a long time. But last year after my first Tonic-Clonic i did question if Cannabis would be benificial or worsening the chances of getting a seizure.

On paper a high ratio CBD vs low THC seem's the best.

The Neurologist couldn't answer it and left it in the middle. But like i mentioned atm the stress of quitting would be a bit to much. Did stop Ethanol with the intention of never touching it again.

Be careful which NMDA antagonist's, i have no idea if they could be protectful. But if so chose the one that is best fitted for the job. Not o-PCE for example. My last seizure last week in my desperate psychotic faze. I snorted that substance to hold of the seizure. That didn'd work. L-Theanine and Magnesium are off course safe. But afa Dissociative's go, Ketamine would be most suited. Maybe even one of the isomer's. Lookin into it now.

Later on I sucked my Midazolam nose spray up. Couldn't handle the spray, that was how motorically disabled i was during that attack. If that helped no clue, I collapsed in my bed during hurting myself pretty bad.

"One of the newer reported uses for ketamine is for the treatment of refractory status epilepticus. Researchers have shown that during prolonged seizures, the number of activated gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)-A receptors on the postsynaptic membrane gradually decreases, whereas the number of inactive GABA-A receptors increases.5,6 This causes a significant reduction in the efficacy of antiepileptic drugs that target the GABAergic system, including benzodiazepines, propofol, and phenobarbital. In contrast, the number and activities of N-methyl-D-aspartate (NDMA) receptors increases over time.7 Subsequently, a drug such as ketamine, which is a noncompetitive NDMA receptor antagonist, may play a role in treating status epilepticus. However, as this case clearly illustrates, ketamine may actually induce seizures in certain populations."

https://westjem.com/case-report/ketamine-implicated-in-new-onset-seizure.html

Last edited: