• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

CBD and GABA receptors?

hotelyorba

Greenlighter
I took benzos as a teenager and went through w/d about 10 years ago. I've largely stayed away from anything that impacts GABA since then. For the last few years, I was taking CBD oil daily, particularly at night. Prior to that I was smoking weed with high CBD.

If I were to drink alcohol, take a benzo, or do something that definitely hits GABA-A receptors, I would get w/d's because of my past history. My CNS no longer processes GABA drugs the right way.

I don't believe that CBD ever gave me those same feelings. It's a drug, so I felt various things at time. But I took it daily for YEARS before quitting a few months ago. I'm trying to understand these recent studies that show CBD interacts with the GABA-A recptor:

The CBD project has also included this:
Australian scientists report that CBD acts as a “positive allosteric modulator” of the GABA-A receptor. In other words, CBD interacts with the GABA-A receptor in a way that enhances the receptor’s binding affinity for its principal endogenous agonist, gamma-Aminobutyric acid (GABA), which is the main inhibitory neurotransmitter in the mammalian central nervous system. The sedating effects of Valium and other Benzos are mediated by GABA receptor transmission. CBD reduces anxiety by changing the shape of the GABA-A receptor in a way that amplifies the natural calming effect of GABA.

Anybody have any knowledge of this?

CBD enhances some side effects of alcohol and benzos. I agree.