• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cartridge danger questions?

smokeymcpot42088

Bluelighter
Of course I acquired a cart hook up and device and now I am reading about cases of lung disease, pulmonary edema, a couple leading to death. Is this from subpar/fake cartridges or just a possible effect of cartridges in general? In addition to that and I better not give anyone an idea..... but is anyone else a little worried that the infamous jwh or worse synthetic cannabinoids are being added to the cartridges to give them the feeling of "oh this must be 50-60% pure" when really your frying your receptors with garbage? Is it to soon to make a call on any of these questions; if so I suggest you stick to flower.

Salutations SmokeyMcPot42088,

It's funny how some editorials skip essential topics as the potential concentration of pesticides when no longer dealing with trichome glands from "bio" grade Dry Flowers. Now imagine e-Liquids being burned near some atomizer's contact surface, as if idealized technology miracles could fit more easily within pen-size formats - which i find ludicrous. But that's the old me!

The worries similar stories inspire me are related to a widespread failure to demonstrate real Public Health by focussing obcessively on a fractional part of the whole picture only to eclipse the rest while more contaminated data continues to accumulate, one decade after the next, ad nauseam.

...I suggest you stick to flower.

These days you don't even need synthetics to explain such apparent crisis as mentioned above, "legal" Dry Flowers can project much the same sickening image just by inducing fear+suspicion. Especially after a federal Public Health institution repeatedly avoided revoking the license of a "legal" producer which broadcasted the non-detection level for myclobutanil (turned into hydrogen cyanide by a user's own heating action)...

:oops:

Safety Seal on Legal SQdC Mari-Caca [360x480] .PNG

In addition please also keep in mind there's still the matter of consumption method while "incidental" use may remain relatively safe compared to chronic exposure to Zyklon-generating situations which nobody knows how bad this can prove to be until permanent prejudice is caused for the sake of greed & failed (socio-toxic) ideologies. In The Name Of Children...

Good day, have fun!! ☮

you gotta figure black market carts are cut with synthetic. not all, but certainly some. and zero guarantee the cart is lead free.

Last edited:
^that was the disappointing conclusion I came too. You run the #s and if people are putting synthetics in there the profit margin goes up to pennys per 30 dollar cartridge and I suppose that gunk would be equally solvable. lol now im confused whether to buy carts from stupid people and know I got what they got at least or smart people who could totally see fake liquid angle ten miles away......or just shelf it for ten years or so till either a. more data is compiled or b. they don't exist anymore (which would be a bummer but hopefully for a good reason, other than "this aint your mommas marijuana" as the surgeon general put it. I can handle the THC increase lmao.

Hi again,

..."this aint your mommas marijuana"...

Another devious way to promote an increase of contaminants besides avoiding the matter of suitable personalized THC:CBD ratios (+ "entourage effect") completely.

SRC - Marina Orsini (S2Ep26) - Christiane Laberge (2016-Oct-13) [400x300] .PNG
Christiane Laberge on the good old days 1 % THC leaves...

Still with strong roots in the so-called "medical" community, especially "expert$"/"spe¢iali$ts" with mass media friends.

?

It's a war involving multiple vilification factors and the more cannabis gets transformed the less it's fair and safe, while i think on the long run e-Cigs are conceptually broken anyway. More THC is actually most desirable in absence of cheating, as long as the consumption method is sufficiently adapted to valorize it, which makes me target naturally filtered trichome glands while rejecting less noble vegetal tissue. In comparison to shredded debris those trichomes tend to have tiny contact surfaces and low mass, which i believe to be a genuinely convenient gift of dame Nature as that invites differentiation, 1st possibly via mechanical sorting, if not by the use of "Pulse Heating" in absence of thermalization - but to work the harvest must avoid industrial processing that defeats a natural separation of the vegetal substrate supporting a precious "frosty" trichome glands layer. For example guys who harvest late in the automnal season must deal with increased risk of mold and i know a few who compress the flowers in an attempt to expulse moisture, despite repeated hints suggesting this may actually trap water inside, not to mention on a rainy day... Lazy ones also prefer tumbling machines to artisanal clipping, which Licensed Producers gradually imposed as a standard resulting from unhealthy competition. Hence "bio" or not the end product often looks less that desirable under a microscope, especially since "Légaleezation" i would say. Then there's further vilification supposed to kill pathogens and pests, single-use tight-seal plastic packaging that promotes mold unless the herb is extra dry, etc. Which is why some environments have become anxiogenic for those with no other option than to produce their own cannabis in total secret. Too bad the plant thrives best when it benefits from a generous supply of fresh air and sunlight!

So, to me the only positive aspect of e-Cigs is stealthiness and that's more of a desirable feature for anyone else but consumers themselves. If it's too good to be true then chances are it probably is... In any case the mutiplication of vilification vectors appears to be the new prefered strategy of bigot anti-cannabic prohibitionists, not to mention damage already inflicted to our sub-culture by spreading simple fear+suspicion. In The Name Of Children!

Good day, have fun!! ☮

Last edited:
Yeah, it's reasonable to ask these questions. As I understand it, the risks in vaping from a THC cartridge could be;

1) If the THC is cut with VG?PG/MCT or anything else, how do these compounds react at higher temperatures?
2) If pesticides or other harmful chemicals were used when growing the Cannabis, it's *possible* they could be extracted and concentrated along with the THC.
3) Composition of the cart.

Ideally everything would be farm to cart by one entity (growing, extracting, filling carts). Without sourcing, I'm fairly sure there are carts of these types available in Colorado and California. Black market wise is a crap shoot unless you know the farm/extractor. Vaping isn't what concerns me, it's the pesticides.

Tom

The majority of these cases are not caused by synthetic cannabinoids, but instead the cutting agent used. This is why these cases aren't just isolated to THC/CBD vape carts, but nicotine vaping as well(if not more so).

There is a wide range of known cutting agents, and well known companies like True Terpenes that make these cutting agents, as well as a wide range of lesser known cutting agents like Honey Cut, and it appears as though many of these companies aren't being honest about what they are using, as you will see if you follow the links provided.

Many might say "well what an evil thing to do" or "how could this be legal", well, pure THC distillate is near solid at room temperature, and CBD will start to crystalize at concentrations above 60% or something around there. So there are honest uses for these types of products, however, there is a lot of dishonesty in not only the application(people using cutting agents to increase profit/product amount), as well as a lot of dishonest manufactures. So while, yes, it is possible to put synthetic cannabinoids into a substance that appears similar to THC/CBD distillate, it's going to be much more likely that the manufacturer that made the carts is receiving the distillate 2nd or 3rd+ hand from the source, each likely adding 10-20% cutting agent, then it is put into cheap knock off carts of the most popular brands. So it looks as if there are only 100s of cart manufacturers when really there are 100s of 1000's.

And while yes, you're likely inhaling pesticides and heavy metals from a black market cart, it's highly unlikely that these would be in high enough concentration to cause lung damage. The lung damage is likely caused by accumulation of various cutting agents in the lung, causing lipid pneumonia or another type of lung disease. The pulmonary embolism is probably from extremely high levels of nicotine that is commonly consumed by nicotine vapers who mod their vapes and try to blow the biggest clouds. Or a combination.

or just shelf it for ten years
Expired terpenes (as well as other cuts such as of or vg) is one of the possible reasons for toxic cartridges causing lung issues. Holding on to one for years is a bad idea. Terpenes and other cuts can expire while on the shelf before they are even sold so it's important to know your source and don't use expired carts.

I make my own carts and I do not hold on to them for extended amount of time for this reason.

Black market is a crap shoot and making your own can be very difficult. If you don't have proper information on your terpenes and possible other cuts, then you are best to only buy carts from a licensed vendor.