• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

(CARERS) Act, baby steps in the right direction.

Gothraidh

Bluelighter
CAERES stands for The Compassionate Access, Research Expansion, and Respect States, and dropped earlier this week. This is a historical event in the world of legalized marijuana mostly because both republican and democratic senators have come together to support it. It is more or less to lessen the restraints on states whom have already chosen to legalize medical use of marijuana but will put in place a foundations for others to follow suit. For example a dear friend of mine can be prescribed medical marijuana in his own state and has access to it, though due to its listing as a Schedule 1 drug he cannot get it on his medicare.
My friend has a seizure once every 8 to 12 days on average when he doesn't have access to marijuana. He was injured at work due to his disorder, has lost his drivers license and is now on social security. He lives on a very tight fixed income, so it's not like he can supply himself with weed whenever he wants a buzz or whatever. When he can smoke though his seizure are reduced to about one every four or five months or better.
I've stated multiple times on these forums that I am absolutely 100% pro recreational legalization, but if that is a leap or a bound then the CARES act is certainly a baby step toward that goal. Below is a link that will put you in contact with the appropriate representatives to help the cause, please take the time to let your voice be heard.

http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/51046/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=15905

Hey Gothraidh, really sorry to hear about your friend's condition... epilepsy is a frightening condition, glad to hear that he has at least found a way to manage his disorder. Sounds like it could be a really big step towards nation-wide legalization if it is designed to serve as a structure for how states are to go through the legalization process. I think in today's age people are no longer afraid of weed, thus politicians really have no reason to support it and in fact, if they are not pro-weed they could be campaigned against as "evil politicians who want to lock up harmless pot smokers with violent criminals" and yadada.... which in many ways is a valid argument. The only reason that I think most politicians might still oppose legalization is the destruction/down-sizing and budget costs of government organizations like DEA and police. Also, an unfortunate truth of our society is that many of the people brushing shoulders and pressuring politicians into making decisions are lobbyist from prisons and rehab centers. Some big money in both with the way the current laws are established. There are still millions of dollars spent every year on raiding cannabis grows. A lot of jobs wouldn't exist if it weren't for grow raids.

so all in all, it might be a baby step in the right direction but it could also be the first few dominos in a line that are starting to fall. A big reason why states might oppose legalization, besides moral reasons, is economic reasons mentioned above as well as fearing difficulty and temporary anarchy during the transition period. Being that Colorado is seeing enormous success as well as a ton of tax revenue and Washington and a few other states seem to be following suit, the path to legalization may be blazed already.... pun intended.

My hope is that they don't try to bridge the gap in the law enforcement budget by increasing strictness on DUI and putting ridiculous limits/testing standards on it... similar to what critics of WA legalization are saying. From what I understand, cannabis isn't as "legal" as it sounds in WA(not compared to CO it seems) and people can be slapped with a DUI and some heavy penalties for testing above an amount that virtually all stoners/cannabis users would test way above the limit for weeks to months after abstaining from use.

two steps forward and one step backward is still moving in the right direction though.

Wish I lived in the states so I could do more then just say I support this 100% and frankly am disgusted that weed is not legal worldwide yet in 2015 (for adults with I.D)