• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Careers for Intellectual Non-Conformists

arthunter888

Bluelighter
I am 21, male, and after completing all the mandatory college classes am now in the spotlight to choose a career, which I have had such a hard time doing because of my unique personality and weird traits.

I am a very intellectual, logical, and critical/deep thinker. I am also very moral and humanistic. My main quality is non-conformity: I never just accept something that I am told/persuaded without first critically evaluating it. My strength is the ability to analyze and persuade (but I can only effectively persuade about things I believe in internally, so business/sales is not my cup of tea).

I am constantly noticing very minute details that most others miss, usually involving logic/reasoning (e.g. "because it is worded this way it could mean either this or that". or "wouldn't this be a better way of saying this." Very analytical.

I live in the USA, and the main thing I notice is how all of our problems stem from American conditioning that builds and sustains the EGO (having to live up to an external reputation even if it doesn't match the internal personality), and I admire the ideals of hippies that one should explore life, participate in occasional ego-destroying activities (such as psychedelics, meditation, etc.), and live life to the fullest. I loathe the standard American model of working a 9-5 job that you hate, not questioning authority, having a wife and kids, etc (never truly, truly, LIVING).

I guess you could say I'm caught between two cultures. I have the mind of a geek, but am sort of social and have been considered somewhat "popular." I use cannabis often, and psychedelics occasionally. It would nice to be surrounded by people (professionally) who are intellectual non-conformists but at the same time know how to let go and have fun. I have ADD/ADHD and OCD, so my attention span is very short, and I hate reading lengthy uninteresting information. I do not perform well under pressure (especially a TIME LIMIT). My favorite figure is Terence Mckenna. I am also very introverted and constantly philosophizing/thinking.

Sorry about the lengthy post, I would appreciate some career suggestions based on this personality/traits (hopefully decent paying, and that wouldn't entail the risk of being assassinated by a conservative government figure;)), and hopefully this may help others like me (the few that exist I guess).

I am 21, male, and after completing all the mandatory college classes am now in the spotlight to choose a career, which I have had such a hard time doing because of my unique personality and weird traits.

I am a very intellectual, logical, and critical/deep thinker. I am also very moral and humanistic. My main quality is non-conformity: I never just accept something that I am told/persuaded without first critically evaluating it. My strength is the ability to analyze and persuade (but I can only effectively persuade about things I believe in internally, so business/sales is not my cup of tea).

I am constantly noticing very minute details that most others miss, usually involving logic/reasoning (e.g. "because it is worded this way it could mean either this or that". or "wouldn't this be a better way of saying this." Very analytical.

I live in the USA, and the main thing I notice is how all of our problems stem from American conditioning that builds and sustains the EGO (having to live up to an external reputation even if it doesn't match the internal personality), and I admire the ideals of hippies that one should explore life, participate in occasional ego-destroying activities (such as psychedelics, meditation, etc.), and live life to the fullest. I loathe the standard American model of working a 9-5 job that you hate, not questioning authority, having a wife and kids, etc (never truly, truly, LIVING).

I guess you could say I'm caught between two cultures. I have the mind of a geek, but am sort of social and have been considered somewhat "popular." I use cannabis often, and psychedelics occasionally. It would nice to be surrounded by people (professionally) who are intellectual non-conformists but at the same time know how to let go and have fun. I have ADD/ADHD and OCD, so my attention span is very short, and I hate reading lengthy uninteresting information. I do not perform well under pressure (especially a TIME LIMIT). My favorite figure is Terence Mckenna. I am also very introverted and constantly philosophizing/thinking.

Sorry about the lengthy post, I would appreciate some career suggestions based on this personality/traits (hopefully decent paying, and that wouldn't entail the risk of being assassinated by a conservative government figure;)), and hopefully this may help others like me (the few that exist I guess).

Become a pharmacist. You can continue to explore the mind/body, and can also hire some beautiful technicians that are cool with whatever you are cool with. I felt the same way at 21, and I hope you find what your looking for. I'm pretty sure the occuapation you are looking for fails to exist for all but a very few, extremely lucky individuals. Work sucks for the vast majority of Americans, and if you can find something that makes you happy, go for it man...best of luck:)

Become a pharmacist. You can continue to explore the mind/body, and can also hire some beautiful technicians that are cool with whatever you are cool with. I felt the same way at 21, and I hope you find what your looking for. I'm pretty sure the occuapation you are looking for fails to exist for all but a very few, extremely lucky individuals. Work sucks for the vast majority of Americans, and if you can find something that makes you happy, go for it man...best of luck:)

Don't pharmacists get drug tested. I'm pretty sure someone handling prescription drugs will be drug-screened. I need cannabis to keep my neurotic OCD and hyper ADHD tendencies at bay.

You're 21. You don't have to choose a career now. Statistically, you will change jobs a number of times over the next seven years. So no need to stress on that one.

If I were you I would get a job which paid enough to save money, and I would save as much money as I could, and then I would go traveling. You're young, you should go and have a bunch of experiences and learn about the world and meet people and experience diversity. You'll learn a lot about yourself and the world and then you'll be in a better position to decide what you want to do.

Don't worry about a career. Get some money and then go and have some fun.

You're 21. You don't have to choose a career now. Statistically, you will change jobs a number of times over the next seven years. So no need to stress on that one.

If I were you I would get a job which paid enough to save money, and I would save as much money as I could, and then I would go traveling. You're young, you should go and have a bunch of experiences and learn about the world and meet people and experience diversity. You'll learn a lot about yourself and the world and then you'll be in a better position to decide what you want to do.

Don't worry about a career. Get some money and then go and have some fun.

I agree totally in theory, but reality conflicts with this preference. For one, I would like to move out of my parents' house, but don't have the money to. And most high paying jobs can only be acquired with a college degree, which I don't have until I choose a major (which depends on the sought career), so saving low pay checks won't lead to much. Also because of OCD & ADHD I am far from the appraised worker since I am fairly slow and overly methodical with any job, even the more reason to get a degree so I can find better jobs without good references.

Secondly, I would like to finish school fairly soon, while I am in the 'academic mode'. If I stop taking classes for a few years, my tolerance for the education process may decrease, making it harder to finish with ease. And also I may be forced to retake certain classes if I wait to long.

The most obvious career choice for an intellectual non conformist is academia. But, only if you're REALLY good at it. And I'm talking superstar level, because there's no place for mediocre non conformists, no matter what you do.

The most obvious career choice for an intellectual non conformist is academia. But, only if you're REALLY good at it. And I'm talking superstar level, because there's no place for mediocre non conformists, no matter what you do.

I was kinda thinking the same thing. I plan on going to grad school this fall to get my Master's and PhD to eventually become a college professor. I had one non-conformist prof in particular who let me borrow some books out of his own personal library that really helped change my way of thinking about life....in a good way. The money is good and you have the opportunity to help wayward students such as yourself possibly find their own direction.

I'll tell you what one prof told me when I was wondering which major I should declare (after having changed majors 4 times): find a major that you enjoy and that you're good at and don't worry about finding a job with it. If you truly enjoy it and are good at it, the job(s) will come to you. He went on to say that going to college to get a good job is the 1950s way of thinking - you're in college to learn, not to get a job.

Good luck %)

Maybe the Peace Corps would be a good option. It would allow you to help people, become fluent in another language, and stimulate the intellect by learning about different cultures and perceptions and different economic and governmental systems. It would also give you two years to figure out long term goals (or short term, if you don't desire a lifelong career).

Think of industries you are interested in and then pick a major based on that.

The medical marijuana industry sounds like a good fit for you. Believe it or not a college degree could help you enter the industry one way or another. Law degree-obviously provide defense but there are other possibilities like consulting, helping influence and write legislation. A degree in horticulture, especially if you can specialize in indoor growing, move to another country and breed, take your chances doing the same here. Help people design and get up an running huge grows. Electrician, real estate. Business degrees could come in handy. I've used mine to do consulting in this area. It would surprise you how many people who don't know a damn thing about business and accounting/tax are getting rich in this industry. Help keep them safe and run their business efficiently while complying with state law. These hippies often have pie in the sky ideas for how to function in the market. They need grounded, logical business sense to keep them from doing foolish things with their windfalls.

There are some problems, the legal climate is constantly changing and it isn't right that patients with real problems have to pay so much for pot, even so, its for the greater good overall.

You sound like someone who could run a business. Analytical, logical, and popular? Thats the best way to avoid the 9-5. Figure out how to turn your passions into a business then work your ass off making that dream a reality. While this route takes an incredible amount of drive the payoff is very high, both in terms of wealth and sanity. That is if you can make it happen. If you want to give this a shot I'd recommend getting an accounting degree while taking as many extra entrepreneurial classes as possible.

The main thing to remember is your coursework is completely inadequate to prepare you for real success, unless you get straight A's at MIT etc...a degree is nothing more than a signal to employers that you will be a high quality productive employee. The library/internet is how you become successful. Most people are fairly good at one thing. To set yourself apart once you HAVE the job you must be knowledgeable in many different fields. Teach yourself everything you can about anything you have an interest in. I'm not saying be a mile wide and an inch deep, but to be deep in several things. If you can double major in two divergent fields that is ideal, e.g. accounting/civil engineering.

clearly you should go into math or sciences.

im the same way, and i love math, its a lot more than numbers and equations.

Don't pharmacists get drug tested. I'm pretty sure someone handling prescription drugs will be drug-screened. I need cannabis to keep my neurotic OCD and hyper ADHD tendencies at bay.

move to canada where drug screening is un consitutional

A lot of good advice above. My real passion would be to educate people and give advice about drugs and harm reduction, like if I could pretty much be a walking Bluelight.

The problem is I need this education to be truthful and unbiased, which would rule out any socially/government sanctioned job.

be a writer. if your poor, then your poor. it will also be a good self test to make sure your not a sell out.

If you can hack it, go into grad school!!!

I know tons of bright non-conformists (me included, although i can be a conformist sometimes) who go into grad school because they don't want to work on a "real job", and want to study something they're interested in.

Wost case scenario, you don't like it and can go do something else (if you stay in for a few years you can get a masters and leave rather than staying the full course and getting a phd).

Critical thinking and skepticism is highly valued in higher education.

Also, you can party/enjoy life however you damn well please as long as you get your work done.

Downsides: don't get paid much, and have to teach to get paid, but its good experience if you end up going into education

It sounds to me like any type of IT work would be good for you.

I am very analytical and I have discovered a world of greatness in working as an IT consultant / network technician etc....

Its great because 90% of the time you are sitting arround thinking about a way to resolve or prevent an issue, then you spend about 10% of your day implementing your idea.

it makes me feel great knowing that without me doing what I do my clients (wether they be residential or small business, or huge corporate enterprises) would be seriously fucked.

The best part about IT work is it never gets boring because there are always new technologies providing new solutions to new problems that are just waiting for someone to implement them.

the best part about it is you usually dont need a degree to get a foot in the door, and with no college degree and only a few certifications you can make some real cash.

Then you can decide to get a indepth degree if you really want to step your career up a notch.

WOW...I typed in "careers for nonconformists" on google and found this thread. I am 22, and I am on EXACTLY the same boat (except for the OCD and I only smoke weed occasionally). One of my favorite people is Terrence Mckenna as well, and I love the book Food of the Gods, and I love mushrooms but maybe like once a year. I am introverted, always questioning things, introspective, etc. etc. Pretty much all the thought patterns you named. I like books that are informative and have a hard time finishing a mediocre fiction book. People call me "wierd" or "hippy" often, even though I appear quite normal and am not a "creep" by any means. I think you get the drift.

Anyways, I double majored in Psychology and Philosophy with a minor in Mass Communication. I just graduated in December and I am going overseas to teach English as a foreign language. I still don't know what I want to do, but I just want to get out of the U.S. and clear up some clutter on my cultural operating system and just put things in perspective. It's a great way to travel and experience another culture outside of the U.S. I bought a DSLR and right now I am just traveling around the U.S. before I make my trip. Hiking at Big Bend in Texas, Las Vegas, West Palm Beach, South Carolina...

I plan on becoming either a professor, psychiatrist, or a psychologist, but this may change over the next few years. Who knows, I may just end up being a creative writer. I was so undecided during college that I thought about becoming an occupational therapist haha.

Most importantly, don't let money be your first priority, but I am sure you already thought about that. I would like to chat with you more because I find it pretty amazing how similar our personalities are.