• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

career advice!

My uncle was a carpenter

i too am related to a carpenter. if anyone wants any bespoke timber framing she can hook you up.

urgh i really need companies to start recruiting again, i remembered last night that prior to lockdown, i was so desperate for it cos i just needed to not have to go into work for a bit. it got bad enough that i ended up scoring and honestly at the time going back on the dark didn't seem like a bad alternative.

The institution I work for provides free LinkIdin Learning, after the suggestions from @chinup and @Wilson Wilson I have decided to join and have a serious look. Thanks (y) <3
Hope to find the mental space and to self-motivate enough to make the best use of their resources

When people start comparing the coming depression to the Great Depression shit ain't looking good innit.

But debatable on what will happen as they're also comping this flu to the Spanish flu which made a recurrence as well.

I used to have a really great job, a craftsman artisan type job where you can be self employed and actually earn money. You dunni like the cunt you tell em to go and suck a ding dong. Trust me brilliant.
Two unbeknown to me slipped discs for 13 years but a bit of a damper on that.
It was a manual job so you get lots of utter bonehead thicko morons involved. They might not be bright but when it comes to being cunts, narcissistic (even on's with the personality disorder), two faced etc..they're not as dumb and very crafty at that one.

Smarter people are more honest. Not saying I'm smart I just tend to be honest.

Also glad I'm not in it as right now shit deffo ain't looking good as it's a luxury market they get always hit hard during a depression. Meaning no work for anyone. The 2008 one was 6 months no work.

I've been busy winding the cunts up about that one, there's a few of them the day I cross them I'll end up punching them in the face. Not the violent type only when you cross the line.

Last edited:
"Work In something you love"
I love programming so I work in it

that's easy to say if you love something that always needs people and generally has good career progression, and you happen to be good at it. if you're not good at the thing you love, or you can't make a living from it- say you're a really shitty writer but thats all you want to do, its a non starter.

also i work in a field i love and my boss is a cunt to the extent its destroying my mental health.

also i work in a field i love and my boss is a cunt to the extent its destroying my mental health.
That is something I've never been able to handle. I'd end up punching someone in the face instead of it trying to 'break me' these days, olden days it just let it get to me.

It's been brought up before but how to people relate their careers to the MBTI?
People say it's crap, I recognize myself perfectly in my type.

what does he do that is so abusive?

so, academic jobs are notoriously insecure and poorly paid, and my experience previous to my current job is that superiors try to make up for this by offering good working conditions and flexibility. my current boss though, here's some examples:

-he told one of our post docs, at our christmas lunch, that his job could be done by an undergraduate technician (it can't)
- another of our post docs found out that his contract was not being renewed because he said to someone else at a meeting that that was the case
- he sets a weekly meeting that runs beyond working hours, despite being told by HR not to
- we have to take annual leave to go to the doctor or dentist
- he made me feel for months that my contract would be renewed, then at the last minute started umming and aaahhhing, essentially waiting til it was too late for me to find another job and hence desperate
- he will only give out year contracts at a time, so he can get rid of you easily if he changes his mind about you. this means people from abroad need to pay for a visa renewal every year.
- everyone is so scared to take time off sick that we come in unless we physically can't, we lost 3 months of work because the cell culture lab got contaminated due to this
- you are not allowed any flexibility or to work from home
- he does not listen and thinks he knows how to do everyone's job. i once spent 40 minutes explaining why something wouldn't work and had to waste a week doing it anyway, i have over 10 years experience in my field and he knows nothing about algorithms or data analysis.
- today at 6.30pm i received an email with something to be done by Monday morning. i will not be thanked for working til 8 to do it, or even acknowledged, but my job would be in danger if i didn't do it. this is normal. he once asked me to analyse 1TB data in a week, i was up til midnight every night trying, failed, no thanks, just ''where is it?' 'why haven't you done it yet'

i could go on but i think you get the impression

@Arnold - ahhhh Myers Briggs! I get a different result each time i try, I'm NT for sure, but the outer two vary with my mood. i lived INTJ best out of the results i've had.

^ so basically he's total petty-mined bastard. Unfortunately you get those types of people in all walks of life. I'm not sure how to handle people like that but I know there are books written by psychologists about dealing with difficult people. Are you trying to find a new job?

Not everyone is like that though. I did some work experience in the Life Sciences department at Imperial College and the lab manager was a really nice guy, so don't despair - there are good people out there

He’s going way out his way to prove to everyone he has a micro penis. Just tell him to accept that he’s an incel and sadly life doesn’t go on, so maybe one last dance from the noose does everyone a favour?

(I’ve had a few beers and I absolutely fucking hate bullies)

if you're not good at the thing you love, or you can't make a living from it- say you're a really shitty writer but thats all you want to do, its a non starter.

I agree with half of this. Many people have passions they simply cannot making a living from, this is absolutely true.

But if you're not good at your passion? Practice makes perfect. I don't believe there's such a thing as natural talent, I think aside from some very rare outliners (true prodigies) your skill is determined by how many hours you put into something and how willing you are to learn the craft.

I was not born good at computers. But I spent pretty much every waking moment since I can remember fiddling with them. I had a lot of curiosity and learnt as much as I could about how everything works. When I was 14 or so I flashed an engineering firmware on my PSP battery (yes, the battery) so I could install custom firmwares. I could do that because I spent every spare hour I had when I was that age learning how to modify PSP firmware.

You can speak to anyone with a skill in something and they'll probably tell you the same. Why are they good at it? They've been doing it since they could remember and stayed curious and practiced their skill constantly. There's no magical secret, that's all it comes down to.

As for writing, unlikely to make anyone a living, but if it's someone's passion I would certainly encourage them to write more and practice their craft. Writing is also something that you can learn skills for, a lot of it is about structure and once you have that down you're half way there. Am I good writer? Fuck no. Do I spend a lot of time writing? Nope, otherwise I'd be good at it, but I do it when I feel creative energy now and then.

Best resource for learning story structure comes from Dan Harmon the Rick and Morty creator:

Once I internalised that concept I saw it absolutely every story and began to structure my own writing into actual plots. So if anyone here does happen to be into writing, read through those concepts.

This is always a fucker. Hopefully you can get away from that company when this shit is over.

Last time I had a cunty boss was when I was working for a supermarket. Imagine being a supervisor in a retail outlet and using that position to lord it over people. He hated it when I got a better job and left. Everyone except him congratulated me on my last day. Which makes sense because he hates himself for pissing his own life away and he knows he'll never do better. He told me so himself when he was drunk, which was often, because he was constantly drinking at work and throwing up and passing out in the loos. I literally said to someone I worked with... I may pop pills but at least I can handle my fuckin drugs. I hated that job so I was on Xanax most shifts and opiates on and off, I still never once took enough to stop me doing my work, let alone passing out in the loo for hours on a shift you're supposed to be running. Funnily enough after that happened he was suddenly a bit nicer to me and the others because he knew if we grassed him up he'd be fucked.

What was funny is when he tried to punish me for something I knew he had no power to do. Example I had to not come in one day because of mental health reasons. He tried to give me a disciplinary for it. I said either you speak to head office or I will, you can't do that for a disability. He got off the phone and reluctantly told me no action will be taken. The look on his fucking face. He thought he had me. Muppet.

I bet he's still working there too, unless he got sacked for puking everywhere and having a nap in it after downing shots on his break again. Fucking knob.

It's been brought up before but how to people relate their careers to the MBTI?
People say it's crap, I recognize myself perfectly in my type.

MBTI gets hate for being non-scientific, and it's true it's not created by actual psychologists, but I do find it interesting and I think there's a little something to it regardless.

I always score as INTJ. No surprise there it's literally the autistic personality. The profile of it mostly describes me accurately. I'm that guy in the office who can get given a task, put headphones on, and bang it out all day. I get things done well and efficiently and people notice that. In return they don't mind if I sit there with headphones on all day not speaking to another human because they know I'm getting good work done.

just remembered another cunty boss thing that is relevant to our current situation- he was pissed that our team, mostly biomedical scientists, are not considered essential workers so he could run the lab business as usual. we are not doing any covid related stuff.

But if you're not good at your passion? Practice makes perfect. I don't believe there's such a thing as natural talent, I think aside from some very rare outliners (true prodigies) your skill is determined by how many hours you put into something and how willing you are to learn the craft.

i am torn with this- because i get really pissed when people hear about my phd or job and say 'oh you must be really intelligent' because i feel it diminishes the hard work i put in. i used to believe anyone could get my phd if they just put the work in, and probably most people i knew could cos through my job and studies i only knew exceptionally bright people. but, since i've met a lot of people who aren't by definition exceptionally bright, like through meetings and stuff (this isn't getting down on people who do recovery stuff, its just my bridge to 'normal people'), i've come to believe that there are people who, no matter how much work they put in, couldn't achieve what i have.

i feel like a dick saying this cos i just sound up myself, but i have a strongly logical brain and a good physical intuition that means i can 'just see' how certain types of physical systems work. like most mechanics, i am shit at that type of maths so i can't calculate it, but i know the answers. physical intuition can't be learned easily, though i guess you can get it by thousands of exercises> i never worked hard at programming but i'm just good at it. admittedly i learned a lot of relevant stuff lke the lambda calculus and turing machines in binary before i ever wrote a line of code so my brain was primed.

i guess i'm saying that though certainly hard work has played a large role, i believe that someone could work just as hard on the same stuff and not be as good at me. conversely, i could never be a therapist, nurse, anything that requires a bedside manner or good communication- it doesn't matter how hard i work, i find it hard to even listen to my own therapist so coudln't listen as a job, and am quite autistic so i don't understand what people mean by what they say a lot of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
i am torn with this- because i get really pissed when people hear about my phd or job and say 'oh you must be really intelligent' because i feel it diminishes the hard work i put in. i used to believe anyone could get my phd if they just put the work in, and probably most people i knew could cos through my job and studies i only knew exceptionally bright people. but, since i've met a lot of people who aren't by definition exceptionally bright, like through meetings and stuff (this isn't getting down on people who do recovery stuff, its just my bridge to 'normal people'), i've come to believe that there are people who, no matter how much work they put in, couldn't achieve what i have.

i feel like a dick saying this cos i just sound up myself, but i have a strongly logical brain and a good physical intuition that means i can 'just see' how certain types of physical systems work. like most mechanics, i am shit at that type of maths so i can't calculate it, but i know the answers. i never worked hard at programming but i'm just good at it. admittedly i learned a lot of relevant stuff lke the lambda calculus and turing machines in binary before i ever wrote a line of code so my brain was primed.

i guess i'm saying that though certainly hard work has played a large role, i believe that someone could work just as hard on the same stuff and not be as good at me. conversely, i could never be a therapist, nurse, anything that requires a bedside manner or good communication- it doesn't matter how hard i work, i find it hard to even listen to my own therapist so coudln't listen as a job, and am quite autistic so i don't understand what people mean by what they say a lot of the time.

What you say is true, but this is why I said what I did only in relation to someone's passion. People generally don't develop passions they're not wired to be good at. Someone who is obsessed with computers is probably that way because they understand computers. It's a kind of chicken and egg thing, but I am shit at most maths, so I couldn't possibly be passionate about it. I feel like I understand computers better than people, so I have long been driven to learn as much as I can about them.

Part of this is just how my brain is sure. Autistic people don't have a good time with social interactions and find they relate to their interests a lot more than people. But I was chatting to a guy the other day whose interest was fonts. He can look at any font and tell me exactly what it is, when it was created, what it derived from, and so on... which is impressive, but functionally useless, and it's just plain old memorising rather than a skill as such. Like when I was a kid I could look at the wheels of a car and tell you exactly what model it was. Kinda cool, but utterly useless, and just a good memory not anything more.

I don't like it when people call me intelligent to be honest. Mostly because for one they're making that assumption based on stereotypes (I'm a nerdy type with glasses, must be smart) and for another once people put you in that box they hold you to an unrealistically high standard. Then when you inevitably can't hold yourself up to the standard others have set for you based on their own preconceptions they go "but I thought you were meant to be smart!" I'm just like... the fuck did you get that idea from? I think Nietzsche already put it better than I can: “No one believes in the stupidities of clever people: what a loss of human rights!”

In fact Nietzsche had something to say about the topic of talents too: “Do not talk about giftedness, inborn talents! One can name great men of all kinds who were very little gifted. They acquired greatness, became 'geniuses’.”

I mostly do agree. I think we see adults as the "finished product" of themselves if that makes sense. As in if you took the people you know couldn't do your job, and I'm sure there's many, but in another life that same person were to develop an intense interest in your field from a young age, they'd probably grow up to be talented at it. Intelligence, at least as measured by IQ, is variable and flexible. It changes over time and is highly environmentally influenced.

My IQ is nothing special, I don't see myself as being clever, I just know a lot about a thing I've had an intense interest in all my life. But if I talk to someone about my interests they will almost always comment on how smart I am. Even though most of my interests outside computers have no practical element, I just memorised stuff. Like my drug knowledge. If you put me in a lab I'd have no fucking clue what I'm doing. I can tell you in the abstract that benzodiazepines are GABA agonists and shit like that. But I just memorised that. I'm still not a chemist or pharmacist or doctor.

I mostly do agree. I think we see adults as the "finished product" of themselves if that makes sense. As in if you took the people you know couldn't do your job, and I'm sure there's many, but in another life that same person were to develop an intense interest in your field from a young age, they'd probably grow up to be talented at it. Intelligence, at least as measured by IQ, is variable and flexible.

i completely see where your coming from. but i will say, i honestly had an argument on facebook today with someone who genuinely couldn't see how not allowing people to go to cafes and coffee shops at present is saving lives. they kept coming back to 'but it spreads everywhere so it doesn't matter if you catch it in a coffee shop or a supermarket.' i know i'm a massive intellectual snob and i don't care, but i'd be fucking offended to think someone who'se reasoning capabilities are that poor could have had exactly the same childhood as me and have ended up in the same position as me now. but then they wouldn't have got bullied for being intelligent at primary school, prompting them to have to go to a private school rather than the local comprehensive cos if they went there it would continue, and probably been happier in the long run cos honestly my high school fucked me up big time.

i do agree that in general your passion stems from being good at something (though not sure that's the case for my current attempt to get good at the bass!!). either way, in terms of careers, very few passions are worth pursuing as a career. annoyingly that's why shitloads of shit hot punk bands split up. they get girlfriends and babies and can't hack being permanently broke as fuck and on tour any more.

i actually plan to follow what i still consider to be my 'true passion' (though i haven't touched it in a decade lol) by doing a phd in the metaphysics of quantum mechanics in my retirement if i make it to that age and retirement ever happens for our generation. i always knew i was better at science than philosophy and that really matters when you're choosing a phd subject, which is why i've ended up in science. plus there's better career prospects and its still way cooler than most jobs so shitty boss aside i'm happy enough with my choice and will save the mind bending philosophy of physics for when i'm a lady of leisure.