View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Cant Trip/Unable to experience visuals

BlackCap

Greenlighter
Hi I'm pretty new to psychedelics, but have tried a few different types over the past month to very little effect. Ive tried two different types of blotters, taking three tabs my last time while my friends took one and apparently tripped balls. Ive also tried gel tabs from a trusted source, as well as shrooms from the same friend. My most recent experience was with magic truffles, high Hawaiians to be exact. I took 20 grams straight from Amsterdam on an empty stomach. Throughout all of this the only trippy visual I got was after the three tabs and some of the streetlights looked weird. Besides that I have yet to experience a real visual trip. If anyone has experienced anything similar or knows how to fix this I would love to hear it.

Personally I experience less effects than friends on all drugs and my doses are higher than theirs. Its all about personal chemistry. And as you eluded to, stomach contents. But also set and setting. Ive had experiences on the same batch of a substance, with relatively the same tolerance and have had different results. It happens.

I know most people associate psychedelics with visuals but to me that only a small aspect of the trip. If your looking for something visual why not try something very visual like DMT?

One thing to keep in mind is that tabs/blotters arent always laid properly - the drug not distributed evenly on each tab. Im not sure if there are variances in truffle concentrations? But a few times over the past month sounds like tolerance could be an issue too though. I'd say give it a few weeks, maybe a month or more and try again. But dont be disappointed if its not as visual as youd like, some people are just less prone to visuals than others.

Are you on any meds?

Serotonin reuptake inhibitors will make psychedelics feel less intense, benzodiazepines will strongly diminish their effects, and antipsychotics will barely let you trip at all.

I take Depakote and zyprexa as a mood stabilizer for bipolar type II, not sure if that would effect anything or not.

Last edited:
I take Depakote and zyprexa as a mood stabilizer for bipolar type II, not sure if that would effect anything or not.

Psychedelics work by activating specific types of serotonin receptors (mostly 5HT2A). Antipsychotics (like Seroquel, Risperdal and, you guessed it, Zyprexa) work by blocking these very receptors.

Also, just a heads-up in case your doc switches you to lithium in the future: while bipolar users should be especially careful awhen taking psychedelics due to the increased risk of a manic episode, they should most definitely avoid taking them while on lithium, as that drug seems to be one of the few that can actually cause physically dangerous interactions (seizures) with LSD.

Take care :)

It's the meds, albiet body chemistry is a factor to, i have a naturally high tolerance, whereas when normally people would take 1 blotter and trip balls i need to take 2 1/2 to 3 to get desired effects, and i don't take meds