• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

cant tell difference in highs?:

galaxie123

Greenlighter
Hi , this is my first time posting a thread (losing my v card)
Any ways does any one else have the same problem , every time I smoke weed (which is about 2-3 times a week) I cannot tell a difference in what I feel.
Every high feels the same to me or I just forget how my last high feels haha. I live in Washington and I find it very unlikely that I get a indica (or sativa) every time i purchase weed. But just curious as to if anyone else has the same problem.

Side note: Just ate my second ever edible and it took 2 hours but it finally kicked in and this gave me something to do.

yeah sometimes it's quite difficult to distinguish between the highs, especially if the weed is not legally sold or if it's a hybrid.
The only time I noticed a big difference between highs is when i went to Amsterdam.

Well weed is a pretty constant high ime. Certain strains have subtle differences. Like a high THC strain would have the user more edgy whereas a high CBD will have the user more sleepy. Hybrids are in the same boat depending on their THC:CBD ratios. Good hybrids will blast you good on the THC then even it out with the CBD later on in the high.

But the basic effects of a weed high remain the same. Smoke->Euphoria->Stone->Hungry&Sleepy.

The mind aspect of it is all relative on your set & setting / frame of mind.

Negative effects are also cos of ^^^

To be completely honest I dont really notice a difference either, well at least not a specific one. Will I notice this weeks batch makes me more tired then last weeks, sure, but not so much so that when I buy 2 types i can distinguish the difference. I dont think I could do one of those "pepsi challenge" style things and pick anything out of a line up.

The only time I notice a difference is when my tree seems extremely dominant one way or another.

I hate that shit.

Give me a 60/40 hybrid any day of the week.... 50/50 preferably, but 60/40 seems more prevalent-- doesn't matter whether it's leaning towards indica- or sativa- dominant. I just like that all-encompassing high.

Sativa-dominant highs leave me feeling jittery as fuck. Anxious almost. Like I need to do something, anything, to pass the time, which tends to lead to an incredible case of the munchies. Indica-dominant's knock me the fuck out with the way I smoke. Just.... out like a light after a couple drinks and bowls.

Hybrids are where it's at.

I hate indica dominant shit. I got some willi wonder, and it's annoying as fuck...smoke it at 5pm and then you don't want to do shit. I also just hate the body load.

I love the initial 20 minutes of the high, but then I get mad fucking lethargic, hate it

The only time I notice a difference is when my tree seems extremely dominant one way or another.

I hate that shit.

Give me a 60/40 hybrid any day of the week.... 50/50 preferably, but 60/40 seems more prevalent-- doesn't matter whether it's leaning towards indica- or sativa- dominant. I just like that all-encompassing high.

Sativa-dominant highs leave me feeling jittery as fuck. Anxious almost. Like I need to do something, anything, to pass the time, which tends to lead to an incredible case of the munchies. Indica-dominant's knock me the fuck out with the way I smoke. Just.... out like a light after a couple drinks and bowls.

Hybrids are where it's at.

It's all bullshit really.

There might be some differences in the high in plants traditionally grown in different parts of the world, but once you get into indoor grown hybrids it's nonsense to refer to a plant as 60/40 indica/sativa, pure marketing.

Do you think they crossed 3 pure indicas with 2 pure sativas? How would anyone even judge the racial purity of cannabis? Who is to say if one plant takes after the mother or the father more?

There's even some crossover with the names, indica just means from India & sativa just means cultivated rather than wild hemp. Most of it came from India at some point & if it gets you high then it's a cultivated variety.

The original definition was just referring to the shorter stockier plants from the northern part of the Indian subcontinent, vs the taller skinnier varieties.

You can find 'Indica' plants with a very intense almost pure thc high too, in general they might be more relaxing, but there is variation between individual plants & more intense high thc/low cbd plants are usually selected by growers.

Last edited:
It's all bullshit really.

There might be some differences in the high in plants traditionally grown in different parts of the world, but once you get into indoor grown hybrids it's nonsense to refer to a plant as 60/40 indica/sativa, pure marketing.

Do you think they crossed 3 pure indicas with 2 pure sativas? How would anyone even judge the racial purity of cannabis? Who is to say if one plant takes after the mother or the father more?

There's even some crossover with the names, indica just means from India & sativa just means cultivated rather than wild hemp. Most of it came from India at some point & if it gets you high then it's a cultivated variety.

The original definition was just referring to the shorter stockier plants from the northern part of the Indian subcontinent, vs the taller skinnier varieties.

You can find 'Indica' plants with a very intense almost pure thc high too, in general they might be more relaxing, but there is variation between individual plants & more intense high thc/low cbd plants are usually selected by growers.

60/40, 70/30, 50/50...

I was always under the assumption that those numbers weren't based on the individual sample, but on all the parental phenotypes involved in the "strain creation process" (forgive my crude wording, I'm too ignorant of this shit to even try to sound super smart). So, 100% indica crossed with 100% sativa (it's just an example! I know 100% plants are rare as fuck, if any actually exist) can lead to a plant with either 50/50 indica/sativa, 25/75 indica/sativa or 75/25 indica/sativa. Document the phenotype, find another strain with documented genetics and repeat until satisfied. The further you carry a gene line the more "random" the indica/sativa percentages will seem, as far as I know.

I'll be honest, though, they do come up with weird numbers, it seems, and I don't have the legal cannabis experience to know just how often store-bought samples are mislabeled or sold under false pretenses.

[EDIT: .....I think I just got your post, Doc. I think you mean the labeling themselves is bullshit, not the percentages... My B.]

Easy way to tell the difference between a sativa and an indica? Smoke 20 minutes before bed, if you can't sleep because you're mind is racing, it is a fucking sativa (dominant) strain.

Easy way to tell the difference between a sativa and an indica? Smoke 20 minutes before bed, if you can't sleep because you're mind is racing, it is a fucking sativa (dominant) strain.

See, that's what I'm saying. I don't need a chart to tell me whether a bud's gonna knock me out or hit me like a red bull.... after I smoke it once, I mean, test it out and all that. And honestly, I don't like either of those options. I prefer to settle comfortably somewhere in between...

Since you smoke often you have a tolerance, and that could possibly be why it's all the same to you.

When I used to use cannabis I could easily tell the difference between hybrids, and a pure or mostly pure Sativa or Indica types I would smoke, vape, or eat. I found that Indicas were more relaxing/sedating and I would get glued to a chair or get couch lock with a lot of body load where you do not want to move. Sativas I found to be extremely psychedelic at times, or sometimes I would get like JBuilt described on them if I smoked too much of one.

See, that's what I'm saying. I don't need a chart to tell me whether a bud's gonna knock me out or hit me like a red bull.... after I smoke it once, I mean, test it out and all that. And honestly, I don't like either of those options. I prefer to settle comfortably somewhere in between...

I agree with you in the sense that I also find it pretty easy to distinguish between what I am smoking. Where charts and ratios/percentages/whatever come in to play is for those who want to know what they are getting before they try it. It may not be so important for recreational users, but a medical user could potentially buy a fat sack of a strain that doesn't help their condition if this information isn't available.

I can say for me personally, when I used to rely on the black market it would ruin my fortnight to pick up a sativa, but where I live people rarely make a distinction between sativa and indica, so it was a constant risk. Overall I prefer indica dominant hybrids, but I rely on cannabis to sleep, so I will take a pure indica over a sativa dominant hybrid every time.

60/40, 70/30, 50/50...

I was always under the assumption that those numbers weren't based on the individual sample, but on all the parental phenotypes involved in the "strain creation process" (forgive my crude wording, I'm too ignorant of this shit to even try to sound super smart). So, 100% indica crossed with 100% sativa (it's just an example! I know 100% plants are rare as fuck, if any actually exist) can lead to a plant with either 50/50 indica/sativa, 25/75 indica/sativa or 75/25 indica/sativa. Document the phenotype, find another strain with documented genetics and repeat until satisfied. The further you carry a gene line the more "random" the indica/sativa percentages will seem, as far as I know.

I'll be honest, though, they do come up with weird numbers, it seems, and I don't have the legal cannabis experience to know just how often store-bought samples are mislabeled or sold under false pretenses.

[EDIT: .....I think I just got your post, Doc. I think you mean the labeling themselves is bullshit, not the percentages... My B.]

No, I mean the indica/sativa percentages & the labelling in general, it doesn't really mean much with modern hybrids, maybe for traditionally grown landrace crops but it's still of limited value. People read too much into indica & sativa, take broad generalisations as set in stone rules, it's more about how the plants grow than the effect. Indicas will be shorter, fatter buds, thicker leaves, faster flowering, it may be more relaxing & have a higher cbd content than a few sativa type plants, or maybe it isn't. There are good strong pure indicas that aren't stoning & have an intense trippy thc-heavy high.

Most growers/breeders will select these high thc / low cbd types if given the chance, so most weed ends up with a fairly similar type of high. There are a few exceptions that have a different type of high, but a lot is very similar.

Also, if you're buying from the same people all the time & it's a black market they might all be using the same clones, or something close, there is a chance you're always buying the same weed.

No, I mean the indica/sativa percentages & the labelling in general, it doesn't really mean much with modern hybrids, maybe for traditionally grown landrace crops but it's still of limited value. People read too much into indica & sativa, take broad generalisations as set in stone rules, it's more about how the plants grow than the effect. Indicas will be shorter, fatter buds, thicker leaves, faster flowering, it may be more relaxing & have a higher cbd content than a few sativa type plants, or maybe it isn't. There are good strong pure indicas that aren't stoning & have an intense trippy thc-heavy high.

Most growers/breeders will select these high thc / low cbd types if given the chance, so most weed ends up with a fairly similar type of high. There are a few exceptions that have a different type of high, but a lot is very similar.

Also, if you're buying from the same people all the time & it's a black market they might all be using the same clones, or something close, there is a chance you're always buying the same weed.

You know, I pretty much agree with everything you've just said. I don't really have anything on top of that to offer, but I didn't want ya thinking I was just ignoring your post.

Cannabis can be classified as a mild psychedelic, so try altering your setting when you smoke. Get baked in places you have never smoked before, in my experience the Cannabis high reacts to the environment.

You could also try to mix other drugs with the weed. For example, 30mg Adderall + Weed, or perhaps 4-5 Tramadols over a few hours, + weed. I find Cannabis mixes pretty well with most substances.

When I used to smoke I could feel different strains, but mids mostly felt the same, i mean their were differences but less noticeable as dank.

I have been smoking daily for about 15 years. For meg it does not matter if i've smoked som Indica/sativa or even whether it was weed or hasj, it usually feels like the same 'high'. The only things that makes a difference in how I experience the high is my state of mind/body before I smoke, or if i eat or vape instead. Eating it makes med really sleepy and a there is No way I'm gettin off the couch and vaping is boring as it only gets me 30% high or so..Gonna try and quit for a month or so and give vaping another chance when my tolerance goes down :)

Go get a almost pure sativa smoke it for a week then get a almost pure indica smoke it for a week n tell me you cant tell the diff. I def can. Your prob just getting about the same ratio hybrids all the time although dealers will tell you anything to sell there shit. Yo i got this potent ass old school mexican sativa. Get it and its straight up indica that puts you to sleep. Lol.

Definately count me in on the hybrid train.

I don't usually feel the difference anymore but when I started there was a lot of variation. I had some times where it was almost hallucinogenic, others where it was just mood, some that were more body highs. My favorite one was freshman year of college and I smoked up, then went outside on my concrete apartment path (with grey blocks for sidewalk) and it was sunny, so I thought I was on some Mario 3 "choosing a level on the worldmap" stuff. One of the best highs ever. That and bombing down a bigass hill on my skateboard, wind blasting, feeling like a spaceman or some shit.