• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Cant take psychs anymore - total pain and freakouts?

lyrae

Greenlighter
Hey ho, bluelight.
(Maybe this should be in harm reduction, i dont know. If so, im sorry, and please move it! Thanks.)

About a year ago i ate 40 mg 5-MeO-MiPT and had a very bad time, like my whole head were repeatedly shocked with electricity, my hands spasmed, and some other things. At the time i thought i had som kind of epilepsy thing. I've since read about brain zaps, and decided that must have been what happened. Iv'e written briefly about the incident here.

Half a year later i did 10mg 4-AcO-DMT and all was well, but two-three hours after comedown i took a really big bong hit of weed and then something weird happened: beside all the common symptoms of smoking too much, which i know by heart and can handle pretty well, i now started having off-the-hook visuals, much much more than i had had earlier on the psilocetin. Real world objects were bent into very specific symmetrical geometrical shapes. There were closed-eye patterns in flashing colors even with my eyes open. And also i felt i was in great pain, all over my body, which freaked me out. After maybe three hours (!) i started to come down. Hmmm.

Well, a few days ago, more than a year since the 5-MeO-MiPT, i ate 1.7 g cubensis mushrooms. I had been smoking weed prior. After i ate the shrooms i pretty much immediately started having feelings resembling those from the first incident. Fast-forward 30 minutes and im outside, EVERYTHING is morphed into spirals, i cant differentiate between closed and open eyes, i instinctively breathe according some pattern in the spirals, all sound is looped for minutes (but not really), all light is percieved as electric-like physical pain in my head, i hear a tone with a pitch that is always, always rising, faster and faster, but doesnt seem to hit a ceiling, i forget for long times that i have a body at all, when i remember it i only seem to remember the left half, and, of course, i am pretty much sure i am about to die, i only wish it didnt have to be this painful. Because the light thing (felt very synesthetic) and possibly some other things really hurt. Im in a lot of pain.
Then i come down and the whole thing goes away, just like that.

Well, now you must believe i have some questions.
  • Lets say this is all in my head, i have some trauma from the first time and the natural effects of a hallucinogen kicks me into a panic attack or something and i relive it. Still, should i be this high of less than 2 grams of dried, old, mushrooms?
  • Other things aside, is it normal to feel pain? I could do with all the other stuff hehe (if not being in total panic) but the pain really gets to me.
  • Could there be something "wrong" with me? Missing an enzyme? Fucked serotonergic system due to the MiPT? I mean i have taken greater doses of shrooms before the MiPT incident and it was only cool!

I mean, what the freaking hell. You can be sure i'll stay away from psychedelics for a looong while, if not forever :((((( fuck

Can't take your psychs any more, or can't take your weed with your psychs? Weed can potentiate psychedelics and give them an edge you may not like, and psychedelics potentiate weed, and a lot of people find being very high uncomfortable.

Give the weed a rest for a while and then try a sensible dose of one of the more physically benign psychedelics (like 4-AcO-DMT or mushrooms) alone.

I don't think the 5-meo-mipt damaged you, I've seen it cause similar freak outs in just about everyone I've shared it with. Even at low doses they seem to happen around the 2-3 hour mark. It usually doesn't last that long (5-15 minutes, though it feels longer if you're the one going through it) and things seem to settle down once you're passed it. I've had the same thing happen on high doses when I combined it with weed. Even without the weed it can send me into a bit of a panic, and the energy it gives you doesn't help when you start doing those mental gymnastics.

5-meo-mipt has a reputation for begin a difficult substance to work with. I've seen people I consider hard heads request xanax 2-3 hours into a small dose. I have been working with it for some time now and I still find it to be a bit unpredictable even after having tried high doses in all sorts of settings. I would not give it to a newbie for many reasons, do not let the reputation of it begin MDMA-like fool you it can and will bite you given half a chance.

As far as feeling pain goes: It's normal, well sudden pain in the kidneys would be alarming. But pre-existing injuries feel more painful to me on most psychs. I've "felt pain" from noise/buzzing that probably wasn't even real, basically an awful version of synesthesia. But I've felt bliss in a similar way as well. Psyches make the brain do odd things and process stuff in odd ways. Just about anything is possible. I can usually tell the difference between real pain and imagined pain though...

Avoid the weed, change the set/setting, and try again with a more forgiving and proven substance. Perhaps try tripping a lone with the intention of working through the panic problems, or trip with one trusted friend. Try to keep the number of people small so you can retain control over the situation and don't dwell on having a freak out in front of others.

Last edited:
The 5-MeO-MiPT thing went without weed! My friend smoked, but i wanted to wait things out first, then BAM. Massive pain, jaw clenchings, muscle spasms, major panic, all that. Gave me panic attacks and hypochondria which im still fighting.

But even weed feels weird now. Of course it doesnt send me off into fuckup space by itself, but i do find it more unsettling than i used to. I smoke smaller amounts and not very often either.

What bothers me is the strength of the pain/dysphoria. This most recent time, i have like minor visuals, no real headspace, a floaty bodyload and massive pain. (Then later the rest of the trip catches up, but in the beginning the pain is unreasonably prominent...)

I guess the only logical explanation here is that the MiPT thing scarred me psychically, meaning that i might be able to work this out somehow. Hopefully this is not forever.

My experience isn't anywhere close to yours, but there's one thing in common; this was on lsd, and on a bad trip there was a painful knocking sensation at the back-top of my head. It was as if someone was smacking it with a bat over and over, not that hard but hard enough to where it was pretty painful. It went away after about half an hour and I never experienced it again, but I thought it might be worth sharing in this thread.

I haven't ever found out why that happened either. It could've been all in my head, but if so that was the most realistic sensation of pain I've felt on a psychedelic.

I guess the only logical explanation here is that the MiPT thing scarred me psychically, meaning that i might be able to work this out somehow. Hopefully this is not forever.

Of course it's not forever, but the more you give the experience fertile conditions to repeat itself, the stronger your associations between these (and other) substances and this pain will be, and such well-learned links can be hard to undo. Marijuana has a way of masking the causes of the panic it induces (psychedelics much less) which lets the experience repeat itself without your making progress on it. This is why I suggested taking it easy with the weed.

You may know that it is all in your head (or rather, that it has non-organic roots, at least at a crude physical level, as opposed to a neuronal/psychological physical level) but that may not be enough. Don't give it the chance to happen again for a while, and then ease back into things. Weed or psychedelics might never be quite the same again for you, or they still might. Just don't keep digging until the hole is too deep.