View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Can't feel other substances while tripping

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter
Anyone else encounter this? I was having a bad trip so I took a light benzo to calm down, and it didn't affect me whatsoever. Some people love to smoke under psychedelics but that just goes right through me too.

I've tripped a couple of times under tabs or shrooms but I think I'm over it. There's always a huge period of anxiety and feeling of "I might not make it through this," and at certain points I've even forgotten my name and the fact that I've taken anything. I've never gone past 1.5 tabs or an eighth of shrooms either for reference. I guess psychedelics just aren't for everyone and that's something I have to respect. My best trip was with the lowest microdose. Shrooms are not a match for me--can't contain my behavior like I can on tabs.

Question for people who adore psychedelics: Are you not prone to anxiety whatsoever? Is tripping just purely a positive experience for you? I wonder what kind of personality fairs best with psychedelics. Even if I plan out a day appropriately and have a trip-sitter and the scenario is right the trips are as relaxing as they are anxious.

Last edited:
Question for people who adore psychedelics: Are you not prone to anxiety whatsoever? Is tripping just purely a positive experience for you? I wonder what kind of personality fairs best with psychedelics. Even if I plan out a day appropriately and have a trip-sitter and the scenario is right the trips are as relaxing as they are anxious.

I have had pretty bad instances of anxiety on mushrooms, especially the times where I get visual loops which completely fuck with my head, but it's usually ok after a minute or two of serious mental fuckery.
I haven't really had a terrible experience though, maybe some overwhelming ones on LSD and mushrooms.

I've been drinking a lot of low dose tea in the last three months and I think that's my new preferred method, to be honest. Like 2ish (I've just been eyeing out my doses) grams in 1L of water with Earl Grey tea and shared with another person.

Super easy and amazingly uplifting. Seems to sharpen my senses and give me an amazing mood boost that I can't really explain. Deffo no sign of anxiety.

I once ate 7g of mushrooms (no idea what species) and had a fucking hilarious time...even went out for pints to a local Vietnamese restaurant I used to frequent (they had 5$ pints!).

That being said, I sometimes feel anxious about doing psychedelics when my friends offer me some. Meaning, I'm not always up for it and the thought of it can be anxiety-inducing. It's a sort of control on doing them all the time and a sort of set and setting control, I guess. Can't complain about that.

I have also, as I've gotten older, gotten a bit anxious about getting too high in general.

Like I'm scared of getting as high as I did that time on 7g of mushrooms. Even though my "highest experiences" have all been quite pleasurable for the most part (except on weed....fucking hell, now THAT'S anxiety!).

I like what you said about "As I've gotten older, gotten a bit anxious about getting too high in general." This is so true of my with marijuana... in the good old days I liked to hit major gravity bongs and wax out of dab rigs but now I just prefer a bowl or a joint where it's mellow. I could totally see the same thing happening with psychedelics.

I want to add that I've never had a flat out horrible trip--within the same trip there's always awful parts and beautiful parts. Do you happen to know specifically how mushrooms are different from LSD? If really at all? Like composition wise, etc.

Last trip i had about 275ug, wasn't having a bad trip or anything but i went to smoke a few bongs and literally felt nothing from like 2/3 sinks.

Usually when i'm tripping and for other people it intensifies the fuck out of the trip but this one time it didn't really do anything noticeable.

*Also anxiety is sort of normal on psychedelics and once you use them more you sort of get used to it and learn how to avoid it.

If i ever feel anxious in a trip i just put on some music and if i have bad thoughts in my head i always just laugh them off and go along with them, getting scared and fighting against them only makes it worse.

^ People always recommend going outside and appreciating the trees or something while tripping. This can be really dangerous if you live in a city or populated area and you're tripping hardcore on shrooms lol. It's quite obvious when I'm messed up on psychedelics--some people can have full blown conversations with others while tripping and not display any weird behavior. I can't even formulate sentences in the right order during a trip

I like what you said about "As I've gotten older, gotten a bit anxious about getting too high in general." This is so true of my with marijuana... in the good old days I liked to hit major gravity bongs and wax out of dab rigs but now I just prefer a bowl or a joint where it's mellow. I could totally see the same thing happening with psychedelics.

Yeah, I just can't mentally handle it like I could 15 years ago when anything went and it was all "fuck it, let's do this!".

I want to add that I've never had a flat out horrible trip--within the same trip there's always awful parts and beautiful parts. Do you happen to know specifically how mushrooms are different from LSD? If really at all? Like composition wise, etc.

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly, but mushrooms and LSD both work on the same serotonin receptor subtype (5-HT2A, 5-HT2B and C primarily, I think it is) so their mechanism of action is pretty similar from what little I know. I'm not really an expert on biochemistry though.....lots of those folk on this site though so maybe someone can answer this in a much more in-depth way.
As for their composition...um .... LSD is C20H25N3O and psilocybin is C12H17N2O4P

It must be that damn phosphorus....which I guess doesn't do shit since psilocybin dephosphorylates and is converted into psilocin which is what is active.
They're both very similar and structurally similar to serotonin which is pretty cool.
Now I'm just going on about shit I don't know much about.

I find mushrooms to be more intense and serious but handle them better and prefer them because I don't like being high for as long as LSD takes (I know I make it sound like a chore, but damn, I just want to go to bed already). I can't imagine having a rough trip on LSD that could potentially be fucking with me for hours on end.

Last edited:
Mushrooms and the outdoors are almost a necessary combination. That's why I live on the lake. ;)

Even LSD or basically any kind of tripping you should go outside and look at nature, it's the best part about tripping because everything looks so amazing and you can literally stare for hours.

The clouds are the most entertaining and important part of nature for me while im tripping, they always seem to be making different shapes/objects or words, dancing or some shit.

They're both very similar and structurally similar to serotonin which is pretty cool.

Psilocybin is, but LSD is strucutrally quite a bit more complicated.

Serotonin:

Psilocin (which psilocybin is metabolized to before entering the brain):

LSD:

That being said, you can see the basic building blocks of serotonin inside of the LSD molecule - start at the indole structure on the bottom (the hexagon and the pentagon with the NH), and go up the carbon chain on the right side to the Nitrogen with the 2 carbons sticking out from it. It actually more resembles tryptamine, since there isn't a hydroxy bonded to the phenyl ring.

Possibly the other functional groups of the LSD molecule get metabolized away, so that it more resembles serotonin by the time it enters the brain? I've never read this, but I have only a layman's knowledge of chemistry, and even less of pharmacology.

Last edited:
Psilocybin is, but LSD is strucutrally quite a bit more complicated.

Serotonin:

View attachment 18554

Psilocin (which psilocybin is metabolized to before entering the brain):

View attachment 18555

LSD:

View attachment 18556

That being said, you can see the basic building blocks of serotonin inside of the LSD molecule - start at the indole structure on the bottom (the hexagon and the pentagon with the NH), and go up the carbon chain on the right side to the Nitrogen with the 2 carbons sticking out from it. It actually more resembles tryptamine, since there isn't a hydroxy bonded to the phenyl ring.

Possibly the other functional groups of the LSD molecule get metabolized away, so that it more resembles serotonin by the time it enters the brain? I've never read this, but I have only a layman's knowledge of chemistry, and even less of pharmacology.

Thanks so much! So shrooms virtually affect the brain in the exact same way as LSD?

Even LSD or basically any kind of tripping you should go outside and look at nature, it's the best part about tripping because everything looks so amazing and you can literally stare for hours.

The clouds are the most entertaining and important part of nature for me while im tripping, they always seem to be making different shapes/objects or words, dancing or some shit.

I agree. Interesting that it's the clouds for you.
I'm all about the night sky. Stars and moon or just stars. Bonus when I get northern lights in.

I can't imagine how amazing the northen lights would look, lucky you.

I don't really get to experience the full effect. I'm way too far south. We get them in the Toronto area extremely rarely. I've seen them more up on the north shore of Georgian Bay where we go camping, but even there they're pretty faint. So faint that every time we see them whilst tripping we take a good half hour figuring out if it's there or we're imagining it. haha

I've experienced the full effect when I was much younger....about 2000km north of Toronto, when I used to go moose hunting with my old man. It's fucking beautiful up there. Like another realm. I was having mystical experiences there way before I ever touched a psychedelic.

I don't really get to experience the full effect. I'm way too far south. We get them in the Toronto area extremely rarely. I've seen them more up on the north shore of Georgian Bay where we go camping, but even there they're pretty faint. So faint that every time we see them whilst tripping we take a good half hour figuring out if it's there or we're imagining it. haha

I've experienced the full effect when I was much younger....about 2000km north of Toronto, when I used to go moose hunting with my old man. It's fucking beautiful up there. Like another realm. I was having mystical experiences there way before I ever touched a psychedelic.

That's dope, at least you saw it at all. Don't think i'll ever be seeing it in my time.

Moose hunting sounds sick :)

That's dope, at least you saw it at all. Don't think i'll ever be seeing it in my time.

Moose hunting sounds sick :)

Why not? Get your arse over here. All the ski towns in British Columbia are half Aussie.
It really is something worth travelling to see if you have the means. It's awe-inspiring as all hell.

Moose hunting is kind of boring. You basically just sit around all day, waiting for one to show up at a lake.
I didn't actually hunt any moose back then. Just rabbits and grouse...and mad fish. So many lakes, so many fish.

Moose are massive bastards though so they feed a village for a while. Freeze that meat and you're feeding 30 people for a winter, easy. Free range organic. ;)

Anyone else encounter this? I was having a bad trip so I took a light benzo to calm down, and it didn't affect me whatsoever. Some people love to smoke under psychedelics but that just goes tripped a couple of times under tabs or shrooms but I think I'm over it. There's always a huge period of anxiety and feeling of "I might not make it through this," and at certain points I've even forgotten my name and the fact that I've taken anything. I've never gone past 1.5 tabs or an eighth of shrooms either for reference. I guess psychedelics just aren't for everyone and that's something I have to respect. My best trip was with the lowest microdose. Shrooms are not a match for me--can't contain my behavior like I can on tabs.

Kava may be helpful it's especially good for anxiety and Incredibly soothing and uplifting and comforting but really doesn't come with any Downside or edge that I'm aware of accept that it only works for an empty stomach and you can get different strains some more sedating and some are more heavily and uplifting which I prefer personally.

Gaba can be amazingly relaxing and and emotionally uplifting however.