• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabutter fail

Ron_isTaken

Greenlighter
Hi guys,

I've been racking my brain and scouring Google to figure out where we messed up my latest batch of cannabutter. We've made maybe a dozen batches before now and never gave much thought to the precise process after looking it up for the first batch. We started with a lbs of outdoor and cooked a new batch every 3-6 weeks until we ran out. Our process has always been:

1. Place a 1 lb brick of unsalted butter into a rice cooker (cheap 6-cup one) on stand-by, so it warms the butter into a liquid.
2. Weigh out and finely bid 1 oz of bud. We generally kept it in the freezer with 1-2 slices of bread. I can't remember why the bread, but we'd change it every time we cooked a batch. The bud was dry, but sticky.
3. Add the oz to the butter and turn on the rice cooker. Leave it until it turns off. Repeat the cycle 2-4x then leave cool for ~20-40 min.
4. We strain it by pouring the contents into a bowl through a fine strainer, then pouring the bowl's contents into a tupperware through cheesecloth (4-8 layers). We scrape the leftover bud from the strainer into the cheesecloth and squeeze out whatever butter's left.
5. We make brownies with the cannabutter loosely following this recipe until we run out. The cannabutter is otherwise stored in the freezer until we need it.

Finally, the outdoor ran out. We picked up an oz in the city and splurged a bit for some nice and crystally indoor. We followed roughly the same process, but didn't feel any effect from brownies. We doubled and tripled the portions without positive effect. The rice cooker shouldn't allow it to get too hot (should turn itself off at ~100 C) and the cannabutter was a nice light green color, no sign of brown to suggest we burnt it. The bud was quite dry and easy to shop. Became almost dusty in the coffee grinder.

As a last ditch effort, since we hadn't thrown out the leftover bud, we cooked it again with a 1/2 lbs of unsalted butter (fresh) and stirred in the original set of cannabutter. We tested the resulting cannabutter mixed with peanut butter on bread - one of our proven lazy edibles - using portions about 1.5x then 5x what we'd normally use. Again no effect.

What could ruin a batch of cannabutter, such that we don't feel any effect from it? Is this 100% an issue with the weed used (quality, strain, whether it was laced)? We still have the leftover buttery bud in the freezer & roughly a lb of weak green cannabutter. Is there anything that can be done to salvage it?

Only thing is the indoor bud you got might have been high-CBD. I've talked to growers that have mixed in Harlequin or Cannatonic pounds into boxes when they didn't sell it separately.

But if you didn't smoke a bowl of the OZ before you mixed it with butter you'll never know. Probably have to just chalk it up to a loss.