• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis versus migraines

MigraineX

Greenlighter
Hello, I'm new to this forum, I was looking into medicinal cannabis here in Michigan and I have a terrible problem with migraines, I see a neurologist and they stopped giving me new medications and nothing they have given me works, so I decided to call a medical cannabis doctor and they say chronic migraines are a qualified condition, so I'm wondering if I did get my card what forms of cannabis for migraines edibles or smoking would be best and what strands do you suggest? I hear cannabis nowadays make people trip out making them paralyzed on the sofa. Any good suggestions?

Sativa strains will give you that speedy type head high and Indica will lead to couch lock. Reluctant as I am to commend combustion [having over indulged for years] I think maybe edibles may be too much if you haven't taken cannabis before. You can titrate your dose by smoking it to obtain the desired result.

The cannabis doctor should be able to advise you properly, but I've only ever met 'bush doctors' who were more concerned with selling the product than advising on health.

You may be right - edibles are very intense, and hard to get the dose right.
There is also the option of vaporising cannabis.

I dont smoke it any more - only vape and eat it.

Wishing you all the best - chronic migraines must be one of the worst conditions around.
I hope you can find some relief.

Sativa strains will give you that speedy type head high and Indica will lead to couch lock. Reluctant as I am to commend combustion [having over indulged for years] I think maybe edibles may be too much if you haven't taken cannabis before. You can titrate your dose by smoking it to obtain the desired result.

The cannabis doctor should be able to advise you properly, but I've only ever met 'bush doctors' who were more concerned with selling the product than advising on health.

I used to smoke in high school, I remember smoking blueberry kush and it was working pretty good, but I think that was before the medicinal clinics were around, nowadays everything is more potent. I only worry about freaking out, street weed was a lot more mellow back in the day, now it's evolved from as an example a lizard to radioactive Godzilla lol.

I forget which kind of migraine/headache it is, but you know the throbbing ones? Where it feels like you can painfully sense every beat of your heart through a narrow strip on your head somewhere?

Cannabis has only ever made those throbbing headaches worse for me. It helps relieve pretty much every other headache I've ever smoked during, from sinus to tension to those entire-side-of-your-head, can't-look-into-the-light-or-hear-ANYTHING-above-3-decibels-without-cringing migraines, but when they throb I've personally noticed that smoking weed only makes me more aware of that kind of pain/symptom. Just a fair warning on that one.

As far as suggestions... I would recommend indica-dominants, preferably the ones that people label as good for killing pain. Leafly's a good, but not infallible, site to start your search:

https://www.leafly.com/explore#/explore/symptoms-headaches,pain

Strains with more reviews? I've found those to be much more trustworthy and overall accurate (in the reviews) than the ones on that site that only have a few people giving their opinion. Call me cynical, but I like to have a diverse pool of information to make a more informed decision on pretty much anything.

The reason I, personally, would stay away from the typically "heady" high of most sativas is specifically because they give heady highs and they tend to be, again in my experience, more psychedelic than the indicas. They could very well provide relief, but when I have a headache I just want to lay down and forget about/sleep through it, and with sativas it's always seemed like there was a higher chance of that heady high making my headache worse. I don't have any experience to back that up as I'm generally an indica man myself, it's just been a general assumption I've operated under when it comes to smoking for legitimate medical relief.

Last edited:
Migraine headaches are debilitatingly painful and often don’t respond to standard pain relievers. That’s why marijuana’s potential for treating migraine headaches is a big deal for many patients.
Some British doctors have been treating migraines with medical cannabis since the 1840s, but U.S. marijuana prohibition has largely blocked the scientific community from doing much research on the subject until fairly recently.

I had bad headaches 2-3 times a week since i was a kid, i smoked weed from age 13-26 and barely ever got them at that point, i stopped smoking 2 years ago and i am getting headaches 2-3 times a week again, smoking weed for sure helps headaches, my cousin has brain cancer and gets headaches daily almost and he said smoking weed and taking the oil helps tons, i would suggest the cannabis oil you ingest, or any indica hybrid strain.

I prefer sativas for my migraines because the medicine becomes heady. It also makes me creative and happy which takes my mind off things.

Unless its one of my grand maul migraines where I'm blinded and need to lay in a dark room for hours. Then it's a 100% indica... usually kush.

What about the new vape method? I just got approved through a doctor and now I'm just waiting for my card, I heard the vapes have heat settings, does this make lower level heat settings less likely to make me all tripped out? I don't really want to get couchlocked either, I tend to overthink things and I'm afraid of getting TOO high.

THC - 157 °C.
The most famous cannabinoid. It has both euphoric and analgesic effects, inducing a great sense of relaxation.

CBD - 160 - 180 °C.
The cannabinoid most sought after by medical users for its vast array of medicinal applications. It partly counters the effects of THC, effectively countering feelings of anxiety and paranoia.

Delta-8-THC - 175 – 178 °C.
This cannabinoid is very similar to THC, but it is more stable and less psychoactive. It has great anti-vomiting properties.

CBN - 185 °C.
CBN is often found in quite small amounts, however, its effects can still be felt. It breaks down THC and is highly associated with a sedative effect.

CBC - 220 °C.
This cannabinoid has anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties.

THCV - 220 °C.
THCV has been shown to moderate the psychoactive effects of THC, but more research is required.

https://www.zamnesia.com/content/284-vaporizer-temperatures-for-cannabis

There are way more cannabinoids than just those listed, though, and if you google "Cannabinoids Vaporization Point Chart" you should find some info that should be able to help you make a more informed decision.