• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis Tea

iksaxophone

Bluelighter
Hey guys, I've been a lurker here for a while and I have to say I really enjoy the depth and breadth of knowledge there is on Blue Light.
I have a question for you about raw cannabis tea. I made a cup this morning using ground weed (unbaked, uncooked, not boiled in any fats) cut with green tea leaves. I wanted to enjoy some of the health benefits without getting high, as I have to do some driving shortly. I made certain not to put the herb in contact with anything THC could dissolve into.
However, after about ten minutes I began to feel very slightly spacey. I'm hoping this is placebo or just me relaxing a bit. It did occur to me that the raw egg I consumed shortly before drinking the tea may have dissolved some of the THC in my stomach. I thought more heat was required for activation, but I could be wrong.
What are your thoughts? Could pre-consumed lipids (such as the cholesterol in eggs) trigger absorption in previously inactive cannabis products?

I could be wrong but I do believe raw (unheated) cannabis does still have a very small amount of cannabinoids that are in the active form.

I could be wrong but I do believe raw (unheated) cannabis does still have a very small amount of cannabinoids that are in the active form.
No you are right, I had to choke down a few grams because LE pulled us over and I knew a search would ensue(have bit off a rep) and after about an hour I was feeling high. Eating raw dried weed takes some dedication and fear to get it down!!!

A friend of mine in college told me how he made cannabis tea before, without milk, and said how it did work but tasted gross but he got insanely high from it and it was akin to smoking 10 bowls of herb all at once.

THCA is natural precursor to the THC we all know and love. It is easily broken down to THC through the use of heat, but it also occurs naturally, at a much slower pace. Most marijuana drying processes will also facilitate in the decarboxylation (activation) of THCA into THC. This means that there is in fact active THC in the marijuana you used, the amount present though is anyone's guess.
Terpenes are also present in marijuana. The types and concentration very from stain to strain and are responsible for the differences in smells and, to some extent, the colors of different strains of weed. Terpenes are believed to potentiate or at least alter the way THC, and most other psychoactive drugs, effect our brain. Hence why some strains of weed with identical THC contents can feel differently (CBD content and a handful of other things that don't really matter for this discussion also make a difference). The terpenes in your weed could have made the calming cemichals in your tea of choice more active and strong. However, most terpenes are not water soluble so how many terpenes got dissolved and in what concentration is unknown and most likely cannot be found out with anything at your disposal.
Lastly, THC is indeed lipid soluble. And since eggs contain lipids, some THCA or THC, if any was in your tea, could have be absorbed into the egg. But this does not do anything to THCA or the THC. It is simply like a sponge soaking up water, the water molecules do not change, they are simply contained. If the egg did absorb anything though, that means it will take longer for the THC to enter your system. Since it is now contained inside the egg, your body needs to digest the egg first before getting to the THC.
I should also add that THCA is not believed to be psychoactive whatsoever, but I think you might already know that.
I hope this answers your questions.

Thanks for the detailed reply, I appreciate it. I didn't know that THCA->THC occured without a great deal of heat, that is good to know.