• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Cannabis smokers age quicker: study

poledriver

Bluelighter
Cannabis smokers age quicker: study

Long-term marijuana users are dopey if they think their habit is harmless, because they will suffer a range of health issues including premature ageing, a new study has found.

Long-term use of cannabis increased the biological age of those studied by 11 percent, said study co-author Stuart Reece, from the University of Western Australia's School of Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences.

A 30-year-old long-term cannabis user would have a similar biological age to a 33-year-old due to the impact of the hardening of arteries, he said.

The study, which was published in the British Medical Journal Open, compared 11 cannabis-only users, 504 tobacco users, 114 combination tobacco and cannabis smokers and 534 non-smokers over a five-year period.

"We found that for those who used cannabis over a long time, not only does it age you, it increases ageing at an exponential rate over time which is alarming," Prof. Reece said.

He said it was concerning that this was the first study to look at the long-term effects of smoking cannabis on the cardiovascular system.

"It is important to the health of populations worldwide that such research be continued, with the study highlighting the large-scale costs to the health system from cannabis use," he said.

Health sectors should conduct further studies on cannabis, he said, pointing to possible cost implications on the health system down the track due to heavy cannabis smokers.

Prof. Reece strongly opposes the recent legalisation of medicinal cannabis use in Australia.

He said the federal government was "putting the cart before the horse", as the health benefits on medical cannabis were still inconclusive.

"They cannot regard the benefits as proven, there's a rumour that is proven but the rumour comes from the drug companies and the drug companies' trials," Prof. Reece said.

"It's driven by media hype, it's not driven by the science. People are buying into an illusion and the illusion will shatter in time."

Clinical trials have shown some evidence of cannabis having health benefits for treating epileptic seizures and reducing chemotherapy related nausea.

Three US states - California, Nevada and Massachusetts - voted to legalise the recreational use of marijuana during last week's election.

© Nine Digital Pty Ltd 2016

http://www.9news.com.au/health/2016...smokers-age-quicker-study#2cVDCX7umbC450b8.99

Here's the journal article:

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/6/11/e011891.full

Can anyone make sense of it? Given that only 11 of the study participants smoked cannabis but not tobacco, the figures are utterly unconvincing to me with respect to Reece's claim. If I could publish papers as cryptic as this, I'd have my Ph.D in a year.

Last edited:
Want to age quick just drink and smoke tobacco.

My brother is 5 years older then me and he looks better then me. Then again he doesn't smoke or drink.

I have also seen though some weed smokers who are in their 30's still look baby faced and they eat shit, drink shit and smoke shit.

Is this true? Or is it propaganda given the small number of test subjects? What if a person quits using cannabis completely? Or quits smoking it and vapes it or eats it?

there are other factors to weigh in legalization besides some probably shit science this guy did....like legal and sociological factors. so he thinks ruining everyones lives and throwing them in jail won't 'age' them as much as pot? I hear jail really ages your rectal area quickly.

Is this true? Or is it propaganda given the small number of test subjects? What if a person quits using cannabis completely? Or quits smoking it and vapes it or eats it?

he will shortly graduate to injecting weed oil into his dick. then its onto meth

"They cannot regard the benefits as proven, there's a rumour that is proven but the rumour comes from the drug companies and the drug companies' trials," Prof. Reece said.

Drug companies have produced a number of THC-based medicines already, and none of them need to be set on fire to work. Ergo, a moot point, professor.

Here's the journal article:

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/6/11/e011891.full

Can anyone make sense of it? Given that only 11 of the study participants smoked cannabis but not tobacco, the figures are utterly unconvincing to me with respect to Reece's claim. If I could publish papers as cryptic as this, I'd have my Ph.D in a year.

sample size is too small.

tobacco known to age you badly.

attention seeking behaviour

plus its australian so there is a political anti weed agenda going on there in the funding...

Last edited: