• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Cannabis link to schizophrenia

Don't u think that if u hear voices after smoke marihuana is because u are stoned?? for me those symptoms are normal because u are high on marihuana, i won't complicated myself thinking and wasting neurons about if i am schizo or not when i am stoned and hear or see blurbs, so simple.
I don't see marihuana as bad as people says, i have been smoking since 4 or more years, every day and it helps me more than the damage it could have made on me, i have to admit that sometimes i feel dizzy or hear things but when i got normal again it disapears and i don't have to think about these shites. :D
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
@Costa Rica
[ 07 November 2002: Message edited by: Break@d'n'b ]

Excellent find, SG!
Good article! :D

Schizophrenic symptoms can be suppressed with antipsychotics like Risperidone, but I wouldn't say schizophrenia can be effectively treated. Management of symptoms and total mental health are two very different things.
Being treated does not imply being cured, rather it only means being given any form of medical aid.
Also, psychotic disorders of a non-schizophrenic nature can easily be "cured" by the use of anti-psychotics. It is often the case that a person who has suffered a drug induced psychosis will be put on medication for a period of around 10-12 months, then slowly weaned off the medication. If the symptoms persist after treatment is stopped, then a doctor might consider a diagnosis of schizophrenia.

This just isnt news. Every1 knows marijuana can increase risk of mental illnes, and many know that it applies equally well to other drugs..
If the ananamide receptor were as dangerous as some make out, nature wouldnt have employed it as part of the pain response.

Originally posted by psijuannn:

Being treated does not imply being cured, rather it only means being given any form of medical aid.
Also, psychotic disorders of a non-schizophrenic nature can easily be "cured" by the use of anti-psychotics.

The post I was replying to said "effectively treated." The fact is that schizophrenia is a progressive disease characterized by gradual decline. Antipsychotics may appear to halt this decline or at least slow it for a time, but that does not equal "effective treatment" for me, more like a bandaid for a flesh wound.
Further, I'd like you to find an actual mental health professional who would say any psychotic disorder is "easily cured." Simply not true. Yes, medicine can help but the recovery is never easy and often incomplete.

Prehaps going Schitzo is mearly a way for some people to get out of the pain of there existance? Maybe some part of there mind said they dont want to go through the pain of becoming an adult and living there lifes as a human and there minds go to another place. This could be induced subconsciously over along period of time, or unleashed by taking a drug. It seemed to be that way for me when I took to much ayahuasca. All these voices where in my head offering this escape to me if only I would except it as my reality. Being an experienced tripper is was able to refuse, though the thought crosses my mind that someone less experienced or more depressed might just take that route by which to live there lives.

Originally posted by Spinal:
Prehaps going Schitzo is mearly a way for some people to get out of the pain of there existance? Maybe some part of there mind said they dont want to go through the pain of becoming an adult and living there lifes as a human and there minds go to another place.
The way I conceive of schizophrenia (by the way the fact is no one really knows for sure, so this is conjecture), is that it is a malfunction in the part of the brain/mind that connects your thoughts to your emotions. Once the two halves of your mentation come apart both sides become more and more warped.
Over the years it has seemed that the "positive" schizophrenic symptoms (hallucinations, delusions, disorganized behavior, bizarre speech patterns, etc.) have somewhat dropped in prevalence relative to the "negative" symptoms (amotivation, anhedonia, flat affect, etc.)
I couldn't even hazard a guess as to why this is. There is just so much we don't know about this disorder, its etiology, and its treatment. Thats why I don't like to hear people saying we can effectively treat a majority of the cases, as all we know how to do is to suppress symptoms with anti-psychotics, which as I said before is a band-aid for a flesh wound .

I was put on anti-psychotics at one time. They actually gave me schizophrenic symptoms!!! E.G. Hearing voices, seeing actual hallucinations, Ect. I know I wasent schitzo but the doc at the mental hosp. put me on them because she found out I took LSD and smoked pot. These pills fucked me up for a long time afterwords and I fealt like a zombie for months. It was hell, I had no personality, no thought or fealing. I even think some of the effects might still be with me today. I used to be a very talkitive person, normal in most respects if not somewhat depressed, after that I still find it hard to really be outgoing or express myself unless I know the people very well. But in my head I feal like me again. I guess you could call that withdrawn??? Its not fun. It took me eating a hell of alot of LSD before I really fealt like myself again, odd since anti-psychotics are usually sopposed to work the other way around.
[ 10 November 2002: Message edited by: Spinal ]

One time in 1996 I took a very, very large dose of pink blotter paper with LSD-025 trapped inside the fibers of the paper. Needless to say, I felt VERY schizophrenic for a few months after that. Later, I started smoking kind bud and felt crazy again, BUT this time I kinda liked it. Instead of feeling "VERY schizophrenic" all the time, I started giving animals, men, women and children kind bud smoke and liquid LSD.
Next, I would quote/unquote "FUCK" with their heads while they were "schizophrenic."
OMIGOD, IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!!!
Well, you know, those days are long gone now. They probably even have laws against that kind of thing now, you know?
Furthermore, EVERYONE knows that "schizophrenic" people don't have ANY rights and that they don't deserve any either. I mean, just ask Nelly Olsen.
[ 10 November 2002: Message edited by: deYFreeMon ]

I find this topic really interesting,
i have been diagonised with borderline schizofrenia, but the one thing that really helps is smoking weed. Crazy? I smoke everday and i feel decent and when i dont smoke i start getting paranoid as well as many other symptons.

Originally posted by Juniperbrezze:
I find this topic really interesting,
i have been diagonised with borderline schizofrenia, but the one thing that really helps is smoking weed. Crazy? I smoke everday and i feel decent and when i dont smoke i start getting paranoid as well as many other symptons.

I don't mean to pry but would you mind sharing a little about yourself? I'd be curious to hear about what you think marijuana does for you, what your experience of your symptoms are both with and without pot, age of diagnosis and gender, etc. etc.
If you don't feel comfortable sharing this information I completely understand, but I am very curious to hear what you have to say.

Someone said this was a band aid for a flesh wound but I think it goes more along the lines of a flesh band aid for a soul wound. We all know how hard it is to live, to be happy here and to fully incarnate and feel comfortable in our bodies and with our surroundings. I believe Spinal has a very good point that not enough people are raising right now. We come into this world with so much crap upon us so much of it isn't even due to us and we're expected to forget it to go on live our crappy lives with a job and a degree. In utero and in birth there could be trauma we can't even remember coming out and growing up we may not even get the love and reassurance from our parents or parent that we need to fully bloom if you catch my drift. Many of us are labeled highly sensitve as children and our parents are blamed. Everyone knows that with each generation children grow more and more sensitive. This could be postively perceived as more and more conscious or it could be percieved as a mutation in our society to be fixed with pills. There is something wrong with the system here and people who don't have the outlet or the resources to heal their souls go down in it hard. We see these people as drug addicts, the homeless, the abused and poor. Schizophrenia could be one way to go down in this society. One of the most horrible ways because you are labeled as a ward of the state, your crazy you can do nothin for anybody after your labeled unless you find the outlet to get out. Most people aren't that lucky they don't get the right help. Geniuses go insane because they are misunderstood and misunderstand themselves because they didn't get enough of something from the get go. There is so much talk about chemical deficiencies and what not but what do ya'll think that happens because of? It's a soul thing! If you have some trauma in your life it will no doubt affect your nervous system and the way your brain and body work. The symptoms are what we treat we give people pills because we don't understand! Look at indigenous societies I bet you'd find a lot less crazy people! Am I right? It is the system we have that creates this face in people.
Peace

Originally posted by jaymie:
Someone said this was a band aid for a flesh wound but I think it goes more along the lines of a flesh band aid for a soul wound...
Schizophrenia could be one way to go down in this society....
If you have some trauma in your life it will no doubt affect your nervous system and the way your brain and body work. The symptoms are what we treat we give people pills because we don't understand! Look at indigenous societies I bet you'd find a lot less crazy people! Am I right? It is the system we have that creates this face in people.
Peace

I disagree with a couple of your points. First I don't know if you meant it or not but I sort of got the implication from what you said that schizophrenia is some sort of choice or defaulting out of society that is a valid path in the face of the trauma of everyday life. If this isn't what you mean then I apologize for misinterpreting, but I personally think this type of attitude very much dismisses the genuine psychological and emotional pain of schizophrenia for both the sufferer and those around them. It is a very serious disorder in how cognitions and emotions are processed and understood.
Further, reading literature from different cultures at different times we find relatively stable base rates for many illnesses. Schizophrenia does happen to be an illness that occurs primarily in industrialized societies, but psychotic states can and do occur in all other societies and recognizable forms of mental illness have been reported from every culture or every type.
Think about this, do you think life in our industrialized society is really that much more difficult or traumatic than life in the Middle Ages or as a nomad barely eeking out a survival? I don't think we can find an easy cultural explanation for schizophrenia.

No I certainly did not mean for people to think I was saying it was a choice. It could be for very few but I do agree that it is a largely unpredicted and extemely devastating disorder to say the least.
In so many ways I am faulting our culture and I suppose for the reason that we are not adequately equipped to handle such serious cases and that is quite horrible because we lose so many. I was also saying that perhaps many of the conditions we are raised in helps to further schizophrenia, that was all. And I don't mean to be so critical of doctors and researchers out there who are actually trying because I am just one angry young person who feels there should be more to it than just a pill and I know there is and they probably do too and maybe it's just out of reach right now. I know the best they can do for now is give people anti psychotics to quell the symptoms and usually people still get sick and have to go to the hospital for a stay. I know though that most schizophrenics are extremely grateful for that little bit of imperfect help they get and I am not denying that part. I guess what I am saying is that we need to look much further into this as not just a chemical issue or just some fluke mental disorder but more on a soul level (if you believe we are all souls.) You know, there must be something much more here we don't see and I know it will take a lot of time to fully understand why this happens to people.
I have delusions and a lot of times I do feel schizophrenic but not to the point where I can't snap myself out of it. The symptoms of this are I think more common than most realize even if they are subtle. And again scientists say that schizophrenia could be a chain of disorders and neuroses all linked into one giant word and disorder because it is still so misunderstood.
I'd like to find out how other cultures and societies treated schizophrenia.
Forgive my criticisms and "I want a cure right now!" attitude but this is something that I feel really strongly about and it hit home for me.
Peace