Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Cannabis Legal, Localities Begin to Just Say No

phr

Ex-Bluelighter
Cannabis Legal, Localities Begin to Just Say No
Kirk Johnson
NY Times

YAKIMA, Wash. — The momentum toward legalized marijuana might seem like an inevitable tide, with states from Florida to New York considering easing laws for medical use, and a full-blown recreational industry rapidly emerging in Colorado and here in Washington State.

But across the country, resistance to legal marijuana is also rising, with an increasing number of towns and counties moving to ban legal sales. The efforts, still largely local, have been fueled by the opening, or imminent opening, of retail marijuana stores here and in Colorado, as well as by recent legal opinions that have supported such bans in some states.

At stake are hundreds of millions of dollars in tax revenues from marijuana sales — promised by legalization’s supporters and now eagerly anticipated by state governments — that could be sharply reduced if local efforts to ban such sales expand.

But the fight also signals a larger battle over the future of legal marijuana: whether it will be a national industry providing near-universal access, or a patchwork system with isolated islands of mainly urban sales. To some partisans, the debate has echoes to the post-Prohibition era, when “dry towns” emerged in some states in response to legalized alcohol. “At some point we have to put some boundaries,” said Rosetta Horne, a nondenominational Christian church minister here in Yakima, at a public hearing on Tuesday night where she urged the City Council to enact a permanent ban on marijuana businesses.

Though it seems strongest in more rural and conservative communities, the resistance has been surprisingly bipartisan. In states from Louisiana to Indiana that are discussing decriminalizing marijuana, Republican opponents of relaxing the drug laws are finding themselves loosely allied with Democratic skeptics. Voices in the Obama administration concerned about growing access have joined antidrug crusaders like Patrick J. Kennedy, a Democratic former United States representative from Rhode Island, who contends that the potential health risks of marijuana have not been adequately explored, especially for juveniles — and who has written and spoken widely about his own struggles with alcohol and prescription drugs.

“In some ways I think the best thing that could have happened to the anti-legalization movement was legalization, because I think it shows people the ugly side,” said Kevin A. Sabet, a former drug policy adviser to President Obama and the executive director and co-founder, with Mr. Kennedy, of Smart Approaches to Marijuana. The group, founded last year, supports removing criminal penalties for using marijuana, but opposes full legalization, and is working with local organizations around the nation to challenge legalization.

“If legalization advocates just took a little bit more time and were not so obsessed with doing this at a thousand miles per hour,” he added, “it might be better. Instead, they are helping precipitate a backlash.”

In Washington, the Yakima County Commission has already said that it plans to ban marijuana businesses in the unincorporated areas outside Yakima city. Clark County, Washington, is considering a ban on recreational sales that would affect the huge marijuana market in Portland, Ore., just across the Columbia River. And the state’s second most populous county, Pierce, just south of Seattle, said last month it would bar recreational businesses from opening.

Pockets of retrenchment have emerged in other states as well. In California, one of 20 states and the District of Columbia that allow marijuana use for medical purposes, a state appeals court said late last year that local governments could prohibit the growing of medical marijuana. Fresno County promptly did so, becoming the first county in the state, medical marijuana advocates said, to ban all marijuana cultivation.

Lawmakers in Oregon are considering a bill that would allow municipalities to restrict or prohibit medical marijuana. Colorado’s recreational marijuana law opened for business Jan. 1 with retail sales, but dozens of local governments, including Colorado Springs, the state’s second-largest city, have prohibited marijuana commerce.

National politicians, from Mr. Obama on down, appear just as conflicted. Mr. Obama said last week that he believed the “experiment” in Washington State and Colorado should be allowed, and Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. said Thursday that the Justice and Treasury Departments were developing guidelines to make it easier for legal marijuana businesses to obtain banking services, currently prohibited under federal law. But at the same time, a senior federal Drug Enforcement Agency official recently expressed alarm that marijuana use and access are spreading so rapidly.

Here in Yakima, an agricultural city of wine and apples, population 93,000, each side in Tuesday’s often emotional two-hour Council meeting talked about risk. Proponents of the ban said they feared that neighborhoods and cherished patterns of life would be harmed by recreational marijuana businesses. Opponents, including some marijuana business license applicants, warned of economic harm and legal liability if the ban passed.

By the evening’s end, the vote was not close — 6 to 1 for a complete prohibition of marijuana businesses.

Yakima’s course, council members said, was bolstered by the state’s attorney general, Bob Ferguson, who this month issued a nonbinding legal opinion that local governments could ban recreational marijuana under I-502, the initiative legalizing recreational marijuana that Washington voters approved in 2012. Critics said Mr. Ferguson’s reasoning flew against the intent of the law, which says that marijuana must be available to all state residents.

But even before his opinion, resistance was growing. Across Washington, local moratoriums or bans covering more than 1.5 million people — about one in five residents — were in place by mid-January, according to a pro-legalization research group in Seattle, the Center for the Study of Cannabis and Social Policy.

On a broader level, some legal experts say the emerging opposition to legal marijuana could lead to legal challenges that strike at the heart of the legalization laws in Colorado and Washington — or affirm them.

Experts expect legal challenges to local bans from would-be marijuana business operators. In anticipation of such litigation, some communities are already claiming that they have the legal right to ban legal sellers and growers because the drug remains illegal under federal law.

“Federal law trumps this,” said Bill Lover, a Yakima City Council member who voted for the ban.

“We don’t think they win,” said Alison Holcomb, the criminal justice director at the American Civil Liberties Union of Washington, and leader of 2012’s ballot initiative. She added that legal precedents for states ignoring federal law went back at least to the end of Prohibition, when many states simply refused to enforce federal laws forbidding the sale of alcohol. “This is essentially how alcohol prohibition was repealed,” she said.

A deeper engine driving opposition to legal marijuana is anxiety about the ways that the rapid expansion of marijuana shops and increasingly easy access to the drug might change communities. None of the new local bans affect possession of marijuana for personal use, which is legal statewide in Washington.

“This is not about the adult being able to smoke a joint,” said Mr. Sabet of Smart Approaches to Marijuana. “It’s about widespread access, it’s about changing the landscape of a neighborhood, it’s about widespread promotion and advertising, and it’s about youth access.”

Supporters of legalization say that because voters statewide approved a system guaranteeing adults access to legal marijuana, they will push state regulators and lawmakers to meet that mandate, possibly by pushing for penalties against local governments that enact bans.

But Dave Ettl, a Yakima City Council member who voted for the ban, said he was willing to risk penalties, saying he considered the promised tax revenues from marijuana sales tainted.

“There’s some money that’s not worth getting,” he said.

Link!

“If legalization advocates just took a little bit more time and were not so obsessed with doing this at a thousand miles per hour,” he added, “it might be better. Instead, they are helping precipitate a backlash.”
Yes, because that's how drugs were banned and continue to stay banned, by moving slowly and objectively analyzing both sides of the issue. 8(

Anyway, yes, I think they should be able to ban sales, but obviously not use. It'll only hurt the banning communities in the long run, especially if they're a poor community with a shitty tax base to begin with. People will still continue to use and give tax money to the locality next door, or just buy from people making runs.

They mention dry counties, but they failed to mention exactly how they've made out compared to non-dry counties.

Haha, to a degree these people remind me of luddites, just stubbornly refusing to get with the times.

I just can't believe all this is over grass.. good lord its really a pretty harmless plant. All these views and opinions over this sure does seem way way way over blown IMO. But hey if you dont want to have it legal in your area then fine.

We want to make churches illegal in our area because we dont want our children to eve be exposed or have his soul taken by religion. Religion has had more negative things associated with it in the last 100 years than grass has in the last thousand. Thats right were going to lock you up if we catch you with a bible or any religious paraphernalia. You get caught with a bible on or near school grounds and your going to prison and we will jacket you with a record of intent to distribute religious material to a minor even if there are no minors there.

You see I dont agree with your invisible God in the sky teachings. Religion is dangerous and ruins so many young peoples live and brains. Have you ever seen s youngster on some strong religion.. well I have and they are out of their minds. Religion is awful and its clearly dangerous. So because I think this way, and come on you know its dangerous, yeah you know you just want to use it to make you feel high.. yeah and we arent even going to all prayer at hospitals, so dont be trying to push your medicinal prayer here. You see we dont agree with how you live your lives and what you belive so we are going to write our beliefs down on a piece of paper and if you then choose to not fall in line with our way, the right way, then we will arrest you and steal your money.

Now im not saying that everyone gets hooked on the heavy realigion. but there are enough that do that to. No people we arent going to take a chance on our town being destroyed by religion. Sure it starts out harmless enough, you know just a little bit on sunday. But soon enough thats not good enough anymore and people start slipping off for a little saturday night religion. but we all know where that leads.. pretty soon people are getting a little religion on their lunch break. Thats right they hide away with their little radios.. dont think we dont know what you use those radios for.. they are to get you religion fix, by listening to your religion chanel, talking about your people with wings and your end of the world. But for allot of people it doesn't even stop there.. nope pretty soon they are giving all their money to some religion dealer. They aren't even paying their bills or mowing the lawn. They are hooked.

No people we will not have that religion isn't bad for you propoganda said around here. Nope say a prayer and go to jail, pass a bible around and you all will go to jail, sell religion, no matter what forum its in and go to prison. You guys must be crazy saying that religion is harmless. We think not and as long as here you will think like we do and behave like we say. Cause we all know where the path of religion leads.. like I said it starts out with just a little taste on sunday and before you know it people are are spun out on religion, yeah wandering the streets begging for money and handing out samples of that religion to any one they see, even innocent children.. they know that if they give you a little bit and you try it.. your likely to get hooked. Then they got ya.. your life is over.. you see they turn other people on so they can drain your money out of you to suport their own religion addictions. And if you try a prayer or two, ya know just to see whats all about, then your hooked and in no time your pushin the religion, getting other hooked, so you can suport your habit.

Now way are we going to allow religion in our area. And dont tell me that some religions are good. dont tell me that religion does good things if you use it right. No way.. sure trying a little southern baptist may not kill you but its a gateway religion. Try a little southern baptist and pretty soon you will want something stronger, so you try a little scientology and find you like it. sure you keep it together for awhile, you know appearances wise. But in reality your hooked, religion in the car on the way to work, religion at lunch is now a daily thing, religion after work and before bed. And then it religion twenty four seven. pretty soon your doing religion every time you have to cross a road or at every little excuse its gets so bad that people do the religion whenever someone sneezes.

And we know it wont stop at the scientology. It just keep progressing and progressing until people are using the real hard religion.

No sir we here in this place are prohibiting the allowance for anyone to have the choice to use religion in any form. Don't look so sad, we are doing whats best for you and all of us. We know what you should do and think and the right way for all people to live their lives.

Infact I got a picture of a religion dealer right here.. gaudy gold chains and all. if you see any of these pusher you just call the police and they come confiscate all the religion and lock these criminals up where they cant hurt anyone any more
NSFW:
00755819.zoom.a.jpg

Oh and here are a some videos of people all spun out on religion (AROUND SMALL CHILDREN:()

NSFW:

What the world needs isn't love its tolerance. Tolerance for people with different views, behaviors, and ideas about life. So I think we should require every self righteous ass clown who believes they have found the only correct way to live so fervently that they think all other people near them should live this way buy law repeat the word tolerance over and over until they figure out what it means and start to practice it.

Or how about live your own damn crazy life in what ever crazy as way you want and stay the fuck out of mine. People need to learn to accept other people and quit passing laws in an attept to have everyone behave in a way they think is correct.

"Burn One Down"

Let us burn one
from end to end
and pass it over
to me my friend
burn it long, we'll burn it slow
to light me up before I go

if you don't like my fire
then don't come around
cause I'm gonna burn one down
yes I'm gonna burn one down

my choice is what I choose to do
and if I'm causing no harm
it shouldn't bother you
your choice is who you choose to be
and if your causin' no harm
then you're alright with me

then don't come around
yes I'm gonna burn one down

herb the gift from the earth
and what's from the earth
is of the greatest worth
so before you knock it try it first
you'll see it's a blessing
and its not a curse

then don't come around
yes I'm gonna burn one down​

I think a somewhat recursive answer to the problem of continued support of prohibition is to simply ban prohibition.