• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis is completely ruined after taking psychedelics

chris_p

Bluelighter
I have recently run into quite a unique problem... In the past I smoked cannabis daily, one bowl after work and a handful on the weekend, generally it helped me take more interest in activities and honestly I couldn't have live a normal life without it. It was pretty hard to imagine. A few months ago I started taking psychedelics which made me quit the drug entirely. I didn't have some kind of introspective experience that made me WANT to quit it, I just became completely unable to bear its effects.

Note as a teenager I did a lot of shit which never affected weed in any meaningful way. Lots of DXM, on infrequent occasions did meth and MDMA. Also would sometimes binge opioids. None of these affected me like psychs did.

I tried DMT straight up about half a year ago it was probably a bad idea to go into the deep end that quickly but it was the cheapest and most available in my area to get anyways. I noticed almost IMMEDIATELY the next day cannabis was not the same drug anymore. It straight up felt like I was tripping on deems again. The visuals were somewhat there but the mindfuck was almost just as present as a peak trip.

It kind of got better after a while but like the dumbass I am I ended up binging DMT again recently about a month ago. Took san pedro afterwards then psilocybin gummies about two weeks afterwards aswell. Now I just cant stomach cannabis anymore and it feels like my entire coping mechanism has been destroyed. I find myself drinking which I normally hate. The worst part is I really feel like psychs bettered me as a person but it took this beautiful drug away from me. Is this punishment for my addiction?

If you like psychedelics, why is it a problem?

Apparantly cannabis use can affect serotonin receptors and the way they interact with cannabinoid receptors.

I don't have the exact same experience but i think i can see a bit in that direction.

I always feel like cannabis is stronger (and more trippy) in the days. (maybe weeks) following a trip, have heard many people say similar, so it looks like many experience something like that

I don't think 'bingeing' dmt is a very good idea though tbh. Ymmv but whenever I've used it I have no desire to do so again for a fair while - can't imagine bingeing on it (what kinda using schedule do you men by that exactly?)

In any case - you're not being 'punished' for anything

If you like psychedelics, why is it a problem?

Apparantly cannabis use can affect serotonin receptors and the way they interact with cannabinoid receptors.

I don't have the exact same experience but i think i can see a bit in that direction.
Its not fun when you just wanna relax

I always feel like cannabis is stronger (and more trippy) in the days. (maybe weeks) following a trip, have heard many people say similar, so it looks like many experience something like that

I don't think 'bingeing' dmt is a very good idea though tbh. Ymmv but whenever I've used it I have no desire to do so again for a fair while - can't imagine bingeing on it (what kinda using schedule do you men by that exactly?)

In any case - you're not being 'punished' for anything

I took 3 oral breakthrough doses of mimosa hostilitis extract w/ syrian rue over the course of 3 days (25g in total) when i was given leave. the day right after I finished it I consumed abt 17g of sand pedro powder which didnt hit me that much. I thought it would just be really interesting because dmt doesnt build tolerance or anything so it would theoretically be possible to binge it like this. Im a weirdo so if im given the opportuntiy to do anything like that even without logical reasoning I would do it

honestly went a bit off the rails near the end of it I legitimately thought I had become a buddhist god and contacted several buddhist entities because I kept seeing them in my trips. Even when I was sober I had this little figurine ontop of my microwave of a fat bald dude I accidentally knocked it over and thought I had been immensely cursed lmao I kept patting its little head it was so bad I actually thought about offing myself at some point. This is coming from someone who is extremely skeptical and atheist. Whenever I smoked weed afterwards I would have this intense visualizations of my breakthroughs even days after. Anyway

Im not doing psychs again for a long time I just want this to end. A series of poor decisions that I am now very lucidly aware of. I just want to go back to smoking weed and enjoying my life I had basically put myself in a hell of my own making that even a benadryl overdose cant compare to. I laughed and cried a lot in the beginning of the trips but at some point I just felt really cold and almost bored. I felt really evil and kinda hated myself. Smoking weed made it feel like this series of events was continuing for a very long time still

it DID get better at some point but since I have zero self control I decided to try shrooms... which just brought those horrible feelings back 10x and now im kinda worried its gonna be like this forever. Though I do believe it will improve eventually

Very sorry to hear this, but your experience isn’t unique. i’ve read quite a few stories on Reddit where daily heavy cannabis smokers have been forced to quit after a psychedelic experience. there’s probably a strong biological mechanism behind this, since the 5HT2A receptors to which psychedelics bind and the cannabinoid CB1 receptors can form complexes. actually, the formation of this complex is essential for THC to produce its memory impairing and perception altering affects. if possible, I would recommend you take a long break from all drugs and replace with a healthy lifestyle, as well as high-dose vitamin and mineral supplements especially zinc, magnesium and B-vitamin complex. hopefully this should give your brain the time to reset. it may well be that a life without drugs/cannabis may suit you better. however, if life is difficult without cannabis and you do regain your ability to enjoy it, just stay away from psychedelics.

I have no evidence to support this, but I wonder if taking pure CBD or using very high CBD cannabis strains could help since CBD antagonises some of the psychotomimetic effects of THC.

What you describe I consider to be a feature and not a bug. That's partly because I had to "learn" cannabis before I really enjoy using it. At first, I just failed to inhale properly. Then one day, before I'd ever had any serotonin psychedelics I was introduced to brownies and ate way too much. I actually saw visuals for a while and ended up stoned for 3 full days. After that, even smoking weed caused me to basically trip. Only after I was more familiar with serotonin psychedelics did I really learn to enjoy weed.

Your circumstances are obviously very different from mine. You were using cannabis as casual drug for relaxation, and now all the sudden it's making you trip.

I have a few suggestions for you:

1. I suggest very deliberately reducing your weed dosage. Try to find a low enough dose that keeps you out of the "freak out" zone and in a place that you can enjoy, even if it doesn't exactly feel the same. Get used to smoking tiny amounts if you have to.

2. I echo the above comment about trying something higher in CBD, which might give you more relaxation relative to psychedelia. You may be able to get more "stoned" without "tripping" as much.

3. Take a break from psychedelics and maybe weed too. This will help in two ways. First, the physiological synergy will fade. It may take weeks or longer, but it will. Second, you need time, psychologically, to process and integrate your trips. You were using oral DMT and having intense emotional experiences. You have to work through those or they will continue to haunt you, especially when using cannabis or other psychedelics.

4. When you are ready to return to serotonergic psychedelics, use them wisely and with respect. Unfortunately, there is much hype in the "default world" these days about the myriad of clinical benefits provided by psychedelics, which leads many people to think that they should "take this or that drug" (or "plant medicine" if that fits your aesthetics better) in order to experience benefits. However, actually taking the drugs is just a small part of the package. You will only get the most from your trips if you prepare properly and perform the necessary post-trip integration. How long you need to integrate depends entirely on the experience and you. It can happen quickly or require a lifetime. It's a journey that merely begins when you consume a serotonergic substance.

5. Learn to use weed as a tool to assist with integration / post-processing. I find weed is remarkably good at "recalling" previous drug states, and this is very useful for integrating trip experiences. Benefits include: the fact that the recall period is short, after which I usually feel not residual effects and can go to bed; and the fact that the weed trip seems to be just a recall and doesn't really contribute "new" content that needs integrated later like a serotonergic would. The exception may be if a trip was particularly traumatic and the subject is repressing something from it, the weed could bring it to the surface, but I don't think that counts. What about coping? Well, maybe you don't need a cope anymore? If you embrace the process, psychedelics can help you live better, but it is a process!

6. When you return to serotonergic psychedelics, consider exploring substances and doses that are less prone to extreme experiences. This is especially important if you were traumatized by your early trips. Until those feelings are processed and integrated, they'll keep coming back. For me oral DMT was either extremely powerful or a dud. Only once did I get lucky and hit something nice in the middle. With psilocybin/shrooms, the dose range for small-to-medium intensity experiences is much wider, but any recurring trauama may still be difficult to work through in the tryptamine state. I personally struggled to integrate my early traumatic oral DMT experience until I started working with cactus years later. That's when I healed and learned to have extremely pleasureable trips followed by many euphoric cannabis experiences.

Note that (6) falls under (4) above but I thought it deserves special mention.

And lastly, note that psychedelic tolerance builds quickly too, so space out trips by at least two weeks, preferably longer.

Good luck.

@chris_p

I had the exact same thing happen (pretty much) after dabbling with 5-meo-DMT.

Weed isn't the same anymore and - strangely - I found myself enjoying alcohol much more.

I have since reduced my dose of weed (from 1 gram down to an eighth of a gram). This has made a huge difference for me.

The reason, I think, is because I was using THC as a narcotic. I was using it to escape. It was a crutch.

Now that I've been healed by 5-meo-DMT, I don't need a crutch. So, those high doses don't make sense to me anymore.

iom said:
1. I suggest very deliberately reducing your weed dosage. Try to find a low enough dose that keeps you out of the "freak out" zone and in a place that you can enjoy, even if it doesn't exactly feel the same. Get used to smoking tiny amounts if you have to.

+1

Psychedelics totally made cannabis better for me. I get a little trip each time I smoke. For the last 40 years. I view it as a good thing.

But logic dictates that if something you consume is not treating you well back off for a while. I have had friends that gave up weed after tripping for similar reasons. A few years later they were comfortable smoking again One guy said it was just the time of his life he was living that made weed too much for him. So he did quit and revisited later.

But if you continue to smoke see if you can utilize the state the same way as a psychedelic. Pay attention. Everything is a message. However I still think some abstinence is needed and do some other things in life for a while.

Alcohol ruins psychedelics for me I often find myself on a bender using them and weed and it becomes a meaningless mess absolute hyper sensory solitary circus of a tweak glued to screens it's like balls to the wall or nothing I have not found a safe pace with anything I always start out another experiment saying I intend to moderate dosages has not worked that way once the gluttonous experience rollercoaster is engaged

Recently on a week bender of shrooms well several months back I found a little shake and it got me so paranoid I didn't even want to take more than a hit or two tripping in a very strong way it got creepy threw the rest out was not smoking cannabis at the time now I wouldn't take shrooms without cannabis but I am off the rails lol recently saw shrooms on a Cocaine Anonymous pamphlet or poster when I was still going to a 12 Step meeting place I was like damn that is a drug I abuse nonsense bonkers like going into nonsense states of mind and living like a slob unraveling into an alcoholic possession state until a tweak manifests and we are so beat up sobriety becomes the priority again

Last edited:
Cannabis has synergistic effects with most psychedelics, such that even after the psychedelic clears your body, there is a "neural imprint" of the experience that can be reactivated by cannabis. There's probably some cross-over on a neuroreceptor level, but I am not qualified to speak to that. For example, if I trip on mushrooms, smoking cannabis a week later will give visuals that are more mushroomy.

For me, psychedelics killed my cannabis use because the spiritual nature of the psychedelic high, its usefulness in therapy, and its permanent effects on my cognition and introspection were all superior to cannabis. I experimented with using psychedelics pure vs. smoking it during a psychedelic trip trip, and weed always felt like contamination. It potentiated (amped up) the psychedelic trip, but made it less clear. So my interest in weed became less and less.

Weed has a numbing effect on emotions and cognition. I know people use it as a mental health aid. IMO less is more. I personally found low dose ketamine and mushrooms 1000x better for my depression than weed, to the extent that I completely stopped using weed for mental health once I discovered the NMDA antagonistic properties of other drugs. (I don't rely on any of them these days since discovering testosterone therapy.)

Cannabis has synergistic effects with most psychedelics, such that even after the psychedelic clears your body, there is a "neural imprint" of the experience that can be reactivated by cannabis. There's probably some cross-over on a neuroreceptor level, but I am not qualified to speak to that. For example, if I trip on mushrooms, smoking cannabis a week later will give visuals that are more mushroomy.

For me, psychedelics killed my cannabis use because the spiritual nature of the psychedelic high, its usefulness in therapy, and its permanent effects on my cognition and introspection were all superior to cannabis. I experimented with using psychedelics pure vs. smoking it during a psychedelic trip trip, and weed always felt like contamination. It potentiated (amped up) the psychedelic trip, but made it less clear. So my interest in weed became less and less.

Weed has a numbing effect on emotions and cognition. I know people use it as a mental health aid. IMO less is more. I personally found low dose ketamine and mushrooms 1000x better for my depression than weed, to the extent that I completely stopped using weed for mental health once I discovered the NMDA antagonistic properties of other drugs. (I don't rely on any of them these days since discovering testosterone therapy.)
I really want to try dxm and shrooms no ket i can find around here unfortunately. DXM is my all time favourite so I imagine it'll go well except the nausea 🤮

I really want to try dxm and shrooms no ket i can find around here unfortunately. DXM is my all time favourite so I imagine it'll go well except the nausea 🤮
It's okay to set the bar a little higher, you know. ;)

DXM is..... really weird at best, and a tremendous stomachache/headache at its usual. I don't even know what it's like at it's worst, but at it's usual? It ain't nothin' to find yourself throwing up several hundred milligrams of gel and then argue with yourself over the next hour whether or not you should re-dose, and then once you do decide to re-dose you get into another fight with yourself about "Well okay, but it should only be half this time right?"

And the jerky movements are fucking WEIRD to experience. It's like you're pop-locking on accident.

I really can't stand DXM. It feels like a gross, mashy low tier version of K. Just my opinion obviously.