• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Cannabis is a false remedy for anxiety, claims LSU professor

Bluelight Crew
http://theadvocate.com/features/people/6607766-123/high-anxiety

More than 4.5 million people in the U.S. are addicted to marijuana, and LSU professor Julia Buckner says her research shows that if you have social anxiety, you are seven times more likely to join those ranks.

According to a 2010 survey by the U.S. Department of Health and Hospitals, the number of people addicted to marijuana is almost as large as the number of people who struggle with addiction to all other illicit substances combined. A subset of those pot smokers also struggle with anxiety disorders like social anxiety.

“People with anxiety disorders have much, much higher rates (of addiction) than you would expect,” said Buckner who is also director of the university’s Anxiety and Addictive Behaviors Clinic.

Through new research she launched this summer, Buckner hopes to develop treatment that both addresses marijuana addiction and helps people manage anxiety of all types.

“We’re not judging the fact that they use (but looking at) what about their (marijuana) use is causing them problems and how can we help them avoid that,” Buckner said.

[...]

“We look at marijuana use as a false safety aid,” said Buckner, whose colleague in the research is Michael Zvolensky, of the University of Houston, an expert on the relationship between anxiety and substance abuse.

full article: http://theadvocate.com/features/people/6607766-123/high-anxiety

I was looking for the hook to this article, and unsurprisingly, the study was funded by NIDA. Just screams of bias.

There are no false remedies. A placebo is a remedy if it alleviates (if only mentally) the symptoms of a problem.

"She’s looking for participants for the study who are between the ages of 18 and 65, experience daily anxiety and want to quit smoking pot."
So to qualify for this study you must 1)Have daily anxiety 2)Smoke pot and 3)Want to quit smoking pot.
Doesn't that effectively exclude from the study everyone who feels they are recieving a benefit from pot?

Wait... are we talking about marijuana being used for the expressed purpose of treating anxiety disorders, or of there being a statistical link between abusing marijuana and having an anxiety disorder? Because these are two different topics. Don't bait and switch me, and subtly imply that people with anxiety disorders smoke more marijuana because they're lulled into believing their anxiety is being relieved, when it's not. That could very well be the case, but this article offers no proof of it. There could be any number of reasons for this correlation.

I was looking for the hook to this article, and unsurprisingly, the study was funded by NIDA. Just screams of bias.

Good point. That is pretty immoral, isn't it?

There are no false remedies. A placebo is a remedy if it alleviates (if only mentally) the symptoms of a problem.

Good point.

So to qualify for this study you must 1)Have daily anxiety 2)Smoke pot and 3)Want to quit smoking pot.
Doesn't that effectively exclude from the study everyone who feels they are recieving a benefit from pot?

Good point.

Wait... are we talking about marijuana being used for the expressed purpose of treating anxiety disorders, or of there being a statistical link between abusing marijuana and having an anxiety disorder? Because these are two different topics. Don't bait and switch me, and subtly imply that people with anxiety disorders smoke more marijuana because they're lulled into believing their anxiety is being relieved, when it's not. That could very well be the case, but this article offers no proof of it. There could be any number of reasons for this correlation.

Good point.

Not much else to say here, with 4 great comments already posted.
Keep up the good work, everyone!

According to a 2010 survey by the U.S. Department of Health and Hospitals, the number of people addicted to marijuana is almost as large as the number of people who struggle with addiction to all other illicit substances combined.

How does that stack up against the number of people addicted to legal or licit substances like anti depressants, tobacco, alcohol etc...

Talk about squirly science, fucking hell.

By "addicted" do they actually just mean "people who enjoy taking it regularly and have no desire to stop", because as far as i was aware mary jane is not addictive.

By "addicted" do they actually just mean "people who enjoy taking it regularly and have no desire to stop", because as far as i was aware mary jane is not addictive.

Not trying to derail the thread here, but if you think marijuana is not addictive you're either ignorant, or you have a very narrow definition of the word "addiction". As someone who smoked weed every day for 8+ years, quitting was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Sure, kicking a marijuana habit may pale in comparison to some of the harder drugs, but that doesn't mean it isnt an addiction. From personal experience I think the fact that it is possible to keep your life together while being a pothead makes it easier to justify continued use, and to convince yourself that you're not addicted because it isn't impacting your life in a negative way.

Im all for marijuana legalization, and indeed marijuana culture is rich and filled with quality people (much more so than other drug cultures), but calling pot "not addictive" is cognitive dissonance to the extreme.

As for the number "4.5 million people in the US are addicted to marijuana" being low, im all but certain that is the case. I would bet California alone has easily half that number of daily daily marijuana users.

I do think that some people use the word addiction a little too loosely. I smoked pretty much every single day for a couple of years. I had no desire to stop during that period, but then circumstances in my life changed and I stopped immediately without much effort. Why not just call it a habit and leave it at that? Some habits are harder to break than others, but theres still a huge difference in "I can't stop" and "I'd prefer not to stop".

As for the number "4.5 million people in the US are addicted to marijuana" being low, im all but certain that is the case. I would bet California alone has easily half that number of daily daily marijuana users.

If you're going strictly by the DSM criteria, then you're probably right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_dependence#Diagnostic_criteria

Not that there's anything particularly tragic about that, if true.

Psychiatric diagnostic criteria are tipped way in the favor of the practitioner's pockets though. Any female or poor person can probably be diagnosed with an axis I or II psychiatric disorder if you get them talking to you for long enough.

Not trying to derail the thread here, but if you think marijuana is not addictive you're either ignorant, or you have a very narrow definition of the word "addiction". As someone who smoked weed every day for 8+ years, quitting was one of the hardest things I've ever done.

I smoked every day for 20 years and stopped with no withdrawls, no hang ups and no real cravings after the first 3 days, it was much easier than I thought it would be.

^ Sounds like you are very lucky.
But just because you don't experience addiction or cravings or withdrawal doesn't mean that they aren't real.

I am more like Care. I go through periods of heavy cannabis addiction.
I can't really stop. When I do stop, I get some nastiness, like lethargy, nausea, ache-iness and even fever (feels just like the flu). But that is nothing compared to the cravings I get.
I don't dream when I use cannabis, and when I quit I have about 10 dreams a night, usually about searching for or buying weed (or forgetting that I decided to quit and "accidentally" smoking).
It takes 1-3 weeks to feel better, and I am always glad I quit. I try to quit every year for at least that amount of time, until the dreams stop and I am normal again.

Agree with you about the dreams, fucking intense, and yep maybe I am lucky but the way I worked through it was to treat being straight as an experience/experiment in consciousness, getting clarity after years of fuzzyness was a trip in itself.

Benzos are far more habituating than cannabis, and even while physically and mentally addicted they retain their anxiolytic properties. Are they considered to be a 'false remedy' as well?

For that matter some people seem to become dependant on contact with their therapists. Oh no, psychotherapy is addictive, and must be ceased!

Smells like bullshit and bad science to me.

Agree with you about the dreams, fucking intense, and yep maybe I am lucky but the way I worked through it was to treat being straight as an experience/experiment in consciousness, getting clarity after years of fuzzyness was a trip in itself.

My friend always says that being sober is the strongest drug. Sometimes I think he is right.

If you're going strictly by the DSM criteria, then you're probably right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_dependence#Diagnostic_criteria

Not that there's anything particularly tragic about that, if true.

Psychiatric diagnostic criteria are tipped way in the favor of the practitioner's pockets though. Any female or poor person can probably be diagnosed with an axis I or II psychiatric disorder if you get them talking to you for long enough.

Cannabis less addictive than caffiene? Gimmie a break. From the study:

In a survey conducted by NIDA in 1994, epidemiologist James Anthony found that of those who tried marijuana at least once, about 9 percent eventually became addicted. While this is not negligible, it was still lower than other drugs which were evaluated.

There is a lot more to "addiction potential" than the ratio of people who have tied to to the people who ended up being addicted (which based on the article is the only criteria they used to rate addiction potential). Especially with the high quality strains like we get here in cali.

The fact that lots of people try smoking weed and end up moving away from it quickly really says nothing about the circumstances of a years long everyday user.

I think it has a lot to do with the user as well. I dont really have an addictive personality, but something about how weed effected me just clicked well. I would always stay high longer off less than my friends, and my tolerance would build slower, it seemed weed and I had a natural affinity.

Its been about 9 months since I quit and I still have trouble sleeping (oh look its 1:30am and I have to be at work by 8:00am >.<).

Last edited: