• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis induced anxiety / psychosis

sierra88

Greenlighter
I am currently taking cannabis oil for late stage lyme disease but am experiencing extreme anxiety / psychosis from it and can therefore only ingest a very small amount each day. I am at the point where I have stopped taking it as it has become too much. Is anyone aware of anything else that might help to relieve the anxiety/psychosis I am experiencing from taking the oil? I really need to find a way to build up my dose but am at a loss for answers.

Eat something, that might help. Otherwise you should probably bring this up with your physician.

Cannabis helped my Psychosis and severe anxiety develop to the stage its at today, it happens to thousands of people , some brains can take it and some can't, maybe try another Cannabinoid ?
Just a suggestion, I don't post in the cannabis section as I hardly bother with it these days, but I'm sure some of the ganja heads may give u some pointers, good luck.

sierra88, are you on any other drugs? Alcohol in particular can interact very intensely with cannabis, not to mention producing psychotic states on its own (worse than cannabis, although different IME).

I used to be more prone to cannabis-induced anxiety and psychosis than I am now. My advice is to try and enjoy cannabis as much as you can. As you build up your tolerance, the anxiety should also decrease. If you don't mind smoking things, try to procure some leaf shake, preferably from an indica strain. Or try to dose your oil as slowly as you can, instead of taking occasional, massive doses.

Other types of drugs may also make the experience easier on you, allowing you to push through the difficult parts with relative ease. I'm not going to list what they are, and besides, what works for me may not work for you.

Also, it may be helpful to push your tolerance up when you're alone, as being anxious and paranoid around people is counterproductive.

Eat something, that might help. Otherwise you should probably bring this up with your physician.

Quite frequently,I see people make this recommendation to those expressing a bad time with marijuana, but, is there any scientific basis for this?

I mean rather it is marijuana induced or not, eating something, generally wouldn't seem to be means of an effective deterrent to psychosis and anxiety.

Everyone is different, but, in my personal experience, it never helped much at all. Seems just as effective as giving someone a sugar pill,if you think it helps, it may do you some good, but seems more of a placebo. Of course, it could help get your mind off things,and that just may be good enough.

Weed isn't for everyone, I found out the hard way. I smoked marijuana for years daily, despite the negative impact it had me on my mental health, I ignored it, and continued to abuse it. I like the idea and concept of marijuana, more then I actually did the effect it had on me personally. All the hype,media, and talk from peers of it being fun, mellow, and stress free honestly engraved that into my head, but even with that being said, it wasn't exactly what is was hyped up to be.

For some it does benefit their daily lives, but for me, the cons outweigh the pros and I had to stop. I loved weed, I was addicted to it, I even had physical manifestations of withdrawal and I will not debate this with anyone, I know my personal experience. I wish I could smoke and enjoy, but the double edged sword that is marijuana, really isn't for me.

Can you vaporizer it at all? It should be much easier to dose that way. Anyways, I have suffered marijuana induced anxiety off and on. I found that I had to lower my dose (if you are getting high quality stuff it shouldn't take much anyways), eat healthier, cut back on other bad habits etc etc. Obviously, with you being ill some things are out of your control.

Best of luck to you. I will keep you in my thoughts.

I am currently taking cannabis oil for late stage lyme disease but am experiencing extreme anxiety / psychosis from it and can therefore only ingest a very small amount each day. I am at the point where I have stopped taking it as it has become too much. Is anyone aware of anything else that might help to relieve the anxiety/psychosis I am experiencing from taking the oil? I really need to find a way to build up my dose but am at a loss for answers.
It may not be a psychosis if you know what caused it. Perhaps a delerium or a simple hallucination.
It is expensive to deal with professionals but it can also pay off in the long run.

Xanax helps me man, but for me what I called psychosis and anxiety was just the result of an overactive thought process.
Do whatever mindless task puts your mind at ease and that may help you calm down :)
Best of luck!

Only times I go Into psychosis with marijuana is when I try smoking on a amphetamine binge, or just sleep deprived in general. I swear last time I EVER do that.

Taking THC alone, without the CBD (powerful antipsychotic) component of cannabis, leads to anxiety in many cases. My suspicion is that the oil you have has a high amount of THC and a lower amount of CBD. Or, you might just be susceptible to a negative reaction.

If you're able to find oil with a different ratio of THC:CBD (more CBD) then this might help. Taking another form of cannabis (not oil) might also give you more CBD.

I get the same thing when ever I smoke weed now what happened??

I have been dealing with panic attacks since I was in the 8th grade when I first smoked, I have developed anxiety and social anxiety as well within the last 3 years. Some days are worse that others and some days are better. However I have found a way to cope and control my anxiety and panic attacks at least to a certain extent. And although I am not 100 percet cured It has helped me out tremendously and I am starting to get ahold of myself.

I hope this helps somebody out there out because it is something I have wished I could change for nearly 10 years.

Take a look at anxiousreview.com

It is an excellent read and was very helpful to me :)

Cannabis contributed towards my social anxiety fo sho. 6 years of being stoned everyday made me reclusive which lead to phobia. Everything in moderation..

Its not uncommon to experience anxiety from Marijuana. My best advice would be to just realize that it can't hurt you, you're only feeling this way because you allow yourself too. Take deep breaths, clear your mind. Its also a good idea to wait until you have nothing important to do, pick a nice time to smoke when you won't be worried about chores or your job, so that you can truly relax and just enjoy your high. Try doing a hobby or something you enjoy doing to free your mind.
I wish you best of luck.

Cannabis contributed towards my social anxiety fo sho. 6 years of being stoned everyday made me reclusive which lead to phobia. Everything in moderation..
Everything... isn't that a little extreme?

If you're able to find oil with a different ratio of THC:CBD (more CBD) then this might help. Taking another form of cannabis (not oil) might also give you more CBD.

I thought oils were required to have trace amounts of THC?

Everything... isn't that a little extreme?

I thought oils were required to have trace amounts of THC?

Sounds like you thought wrong... oils usually are mostly THC, some even claim to be in the 90th percentile. Usually have trace amounts of cbd but no requirements that I have ever heard of. I don't know how you would put a requirement on something that isn't really controllable in most circumstances.

Hemp oil would only be allowed to have trace amounts of THC.

Oil isn't regulated? Please elaborate...

Diversion Control & Prescription Drugs
Registration
Cases Against Doctors

Drug Policy
Controlled Substances Act
Federal Trafficking Penalties
Drug Scheduling

Legislative Resources

Publications

Acquisitions & Contracts

News Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 9, 2001

DEA Clarifies Status of Hemp in the Federal Register

Illegal Products

The following “hemp” products are illegal if they contain THC:

- beer
- cheese
- coffee
- corn chips
- energy drink
- flour
- ice cream
- snack bars
- salad oil
- soda
- veggie burgers

Legal Products

Based on the information currently available, DEA believes that the following “hemp” products do not cause THC to enter the human body and are therefore legal products:

- bird seed mixture containing sterilized cannabis seeds and other ingredients
- clothing, including hats, shirts, and shoes
- cosmetics
- lotion
- paper
- rope, twine, yarn
- shampoo
- soap

The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) today announced rules to clarify the legal status of “hemp” products. “Hemp” is part of the cannabis plant, which is also known as marijuana. The rules published in today’s edition of the Federal Register explain the circumstances under which “hemp” products are subject to control under federal law.

“Hemp” and marijuana are actually separate parts of the species of plant known as cannabis. Under federal law, Congress defined marijuana to focus on those parts of the cannabis plant that are the source of tetrahydrocannabinols (THC). THC is the hallucinogenic substance in marijuana that causes the psychoactive effect or “high.” The marijuana portions of the cannabis plant include the flowering tops (buds), the leaves, and the resin of the cannabis plant. The remainder of the plant — stalks and sterilized seeds — is what some people refer to as “hemp.” However, “hemp” is not a term that is found in federal law.

DEA Administrator Asa Hutchinson stated that “many Americans do not know that hemp and marijuana are both parts of the same plant and that hemp cannot be produced without producing marijuana.”

While most of the THC in cannabis plants is concentrated in the marijuana, all parts of the plant, including hemp, have been found to contain THC. The existence of THC in hemp is significant because THC, like marijuana, is a schedule I controlled substance. Federal law prohibits human consumption and possession of schedule I controlled substances. In addition, they are not approved by the Food and Drug Administration for medical use.

The rules that DEA is publishing today explain which hemp products are legal and which are not. This will depend on whether the product causes THC to enter the human body. If the product does cause THC to enter the human body, it is an illegal substance that may not be manufactured, sold, or consumed in the United States. Such products include “hemp” foods and beverages that contain THC.

If, however, the product does not cause THC to enter the human body, it is a noncontrolled substance that may lawfully be sold in the United States. Included in the category of lawful hemp products are textiles, such as clothing made using fiber produced from cannabis plant stalks. Also in the lawful category are personal care products that contain oil from sterilized cannabis seeds, such as soaps, lotions, and shampoos.

Cannabis oil and hemp oil come from the same plant. It is hemp oil which contains virtually no THC. It excludes the flowering part of the plant.

Seed oil, properly cleaned, should also not contain THC.

Unheated marijuana, THC(A), should also not be psychoactive. People have suggested juicing the plant for lyme treatment.

I think you need to look into the differences between cannabis oil and hemp oil, as well as the levels of thc/cbd in cannabis vs hemp. They may be very similar but the applications that they are used in are drastically different for good reason. You can not substitute hemp oil for cannabis oil and vice versa.

there are limits set on THC and psychoactives in industrial hemp and thus industrial hemp oil as well as all hemp products, but cannabis oil used for medical or even recreational purposes in places like CO have no limit set on them. You can have as high as THC concentration as you can possibly get, in fact the higher the better in the eyes of most... so not sure what you were referring to earlier or how any of the information you are posting is really relevant...

Edit:
Cannabis oil and hemp oil come from the same plant. It is hemp oil which contains virtually no THC. It excludes the flowering part of the plant.

Seed oil, properly cleaned, should also not contain THC.

Unheated marijuana, THC(A), should also not be psychoactive. People have suggested juicing the plant for lyme treatment.

I think you are mistaken. Cannabis oil and hemp oil do not come from the same plant, but the same species of plant. They are apples to oranges in a large way. A plant that contains high levels of THC(10-20%+) in it's buds/flowers has a completely different application than a hemp plant would. A plant that would be considered suitable for industrial hemp would test NOWHERE near those levels for if they did they would get raided and shut down for growing drugs.... idk where you got your source from but I've never heard the word "hemp" used as a way to refer to everything but the flowering part of the cannabis plant. That is really silly.

Last edited: