• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Cannabis for kids?

i dunno i have a real hard time accepting this. smoking even a tiny bit of weed makes my attention span shorter than my sensory memory can comprehend my surroundings. i cant see how this could possibly benefit people with adhd, theyre usually the most annoying people to be around when you're stoned.

yeah well people have been medicating ADD with cannabis for a while, it'll either work for you or not.. like alot of drugs

Doubtless most of you will not believe this, but I digress. I have ADHD (inattentive, not hyperactive type under DSM IV) and weed (cannabinoids, both smoked & sublingual) actually does improve my attention span. If I had to speculate on a mechanism for this, I would say that the cannabinoid-mediated dopamine release in the meso-striatal dopamine system (VTA --> Striatum) is the likely culprit. It is the only cannabinoid pharmacological effect that even remotely mimics a psychomotor stimulant.

StuffedTiger said:
maybe kids who are diagnosed with add just have such a shitty homelife that they couldn't pay attention during school. But give 'em some drugs and they'll do whatever you tell 'em. It always seemed like only the poor kids were on ritalin in gradeschool...

ha i used to go to a prep school where i swear to god atleast 30%-40% of the folks were perscribed to some ADD ADHD medication... point being its not the poor/shitty homelife thing alot of the time...

If you go to a school where 40% of the kids need to take some sort of powerful psychotropic medication, I would think there is something structurally wrong with that environment. 40% of a given population shouldn't be in need of serious drug intervention.

Maybe there is something wrong with our educational system and/or the way we raise our children of widespread usage of drugs is necessary to keep kids focused on the task at hand?

no no no jerryblunted. there cannot possibly be a natural, healthy way to raise happy, healthy, well-behaved kids. Clearly before these drugs were invented, no one was ever able to do it successfully. Humans are unpredictable animals you know. We must medicate their personalities into oblivion so they can all be perfect little zombies, er overachievers.

and oh yes, it could just be that having a short attention span and acting hyper is NORMAL BEHAVIOR FOR FUCKING SIX YEAR OLDS....

THE WOOD said:
i dunno i have a real hard time accepting this. smoking even a tiny bit of weed makes my attention span shorter than my sensory memory can comprehend my surroundings. i cant see how this could possibly benefit people with adhd, theyre usually the most annoying people to be around when you're stoned.

i wouldnt think giving amphetamine to hyper kids would calm them down either but it does. if he is eating the cannabis and getting the desired results without any negative side effects i say do it up =D it's likely he's not taking doses that get him really baked, just enough to get the results.

it's so frustating that people still flip out over pot being used as medicine when cocaine, methamphetamine and morphine all have acceptable medical uses in america.

they wernt smokin the weed any ways... they were eating it. it might help ADD

it's so frustating that people still flip out over pot being used as medicine when cocaine, methamphetamine and morphine all have acceptable medical uses in america.

Its more frustrating when we are still fighting a battle to legitimize medical marijuana and every hippie quack out there thinks they found another illness that marijuana "cures" or "treats", only hurting the legitamacy of marijuana as a TRUE medicine and not just some other herbal remedy.

low doses of marijuana often help me study and concentrate and see things i over looked while sober. however, marijuana is far to easy to abuse for it to be any use to me. i'd rather smoke more, get high and enjoy the high doing something other than studying or paying attention to things.

StuffedTiger said:
maybe kids who are diagnosed with add just have such a shitty homelife that they couldn't pay attention during school. But give 'em some drugs and they'll do whatever you tell 'em. It always seemed like only the poor kids were on ritalin in gradeschool...

BINGO!

I was diagnosed with ADHT, before it was reclassified as ADHD. So yeah, that was a while ago, and I took ritalin for a loooooong time. It made it worse for me. I wouldn't be able to sleep at all. I was a night person to begin with, but the ritalin made it worse. Soon as I started smoking weed, and stopped the ritalin. I was fine. No anxiety, anymore. I had no problems sleeping or anything. I stopped smoking weed because I really didn't like it at all. Now I'm lucky if I can get to sleep before 3am. I get up a 6am every morning for work, and school.:p I don't use any caffeine products either. No processed sugars. I eat as healthy as possible, but those damn breakfast burritoes get me every once in a while. I love those things.:)

Ritalin has been known to cause brain damage too BTW.

Ritalin isn't technically an amphetamine (its methylphenidate by generic name) but is closely related, though.

Acidfiend said:
Its more frustrating when we are still fighting a battle to legitimize medical marijuana and every hippie quack out there thinks they found another illness that marijuana "cures" or "treats", only hurting the legitamacy of marijuana as a TRUE medicine and not just some other herbal remedy.

until we can get some real studies, we wont really know what it is effective in treating. if somebody told me that amphetamine (adderal) is used to make people calm down i would have called them a quack unless they had some legit research to back it up. back in the day heroin was used as a cure all.. and now pot is =D

if pot research was legalized, i wouldnt be suprised if in a decade or two we start seeing new synthetic cannabinoids used in medications. one of these medications could possibly be a breakthrough in ADD medications.. a non stimulant based pill that helps people focus without affecting short term memory or other common effects of cannabis